Usernames

Green Hornet

Hey fellow fishos.ย 

With all the free time a lot of us have on our hands at the moment, I thought it may be interesting to know why some of us have chosen our usernames?

I'm no fan of Stan Lee comics and here is why I went with Green Hornet.

ย 

20160122-Hornet 2.jpg

• Like 9

On other sites dating from early as 1996 I was known as NIMROD a nick name I have had as long as I can remember after King Nimrod from the bible, he was known as the great white hunter ( even though he was probably Black ) as fishing is the purist form of hunting ( opinions ) I gained this nick name early in my teen years and it stuck with me till I joined this site. This site already had a Nimrod registered ( even though he/she has never made any contribution to the site ) so I had to adapt a different name and as Frank is my name and Saunders is my surname the obvious selection was FrankS.

BTW when I was 17 I had a Austin A 40 which I painted grass green and named it Green hornet, I had never heard of the comic character when I named it. Had that car for a few years and it was legendary around Liverpool/ Lernea.

Frank

• Like 7

Good thread. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I was fortunate enough to win 100k on a scratchie many years ago! ย Money that I would never have again so I thought this is my opportunity to buy something I always wanted! It has taken me to where I live today and provided my family with many many memorable occasions not to mention a few fish!ย 
Hence the name.....

A63FE01B-A5AF-4902-AE38-ADB870FE1A7E.thumb.jpeg.04616b4bd4ed8549153e68e0454cdad8.jpeg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I was fortunate enough to win 100k on a scratchie many years ago! ย Money that I would never have again so I thought this is my opportunity to buy something I always wanted! It has taken me to where I live today and provided my family with many many memorable occasions not to mention a few fish!ย 
Hence the name.....

A63FE01B-A5AF-4902-AE38-ADB870FE1A7E.thumb.jpeg.04616b4bd4ed8549153e68e0454cdad8.jpeg

Wow Scratchie, that's awesome. Great story.

Years ago I won 200, $1 scratchies in a competition, thought I was in for something big and ended up with something like $5.

My old fishing buddy was waiting to be served in the newsagents, where he was going to buy a ticket. He let an old lady in front of him and she scratched 50k.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

After gamefishing for many many yearsย  im up around 500 tagged marlinย  ย  when your the deckie you tag emย  the anglers name goes on tagย  but i count them as mineย  ย  ย  ive tagged as many as 13 in a dayย  and 32 on a 3 day wkndย  they add upย  henceย  rickmarlin

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

My old fishing buddy was waiting to be served in the newsagents, where he was going to buy a ticket. He let an old lady in front of him and she scratched 50k.

One of my workmates told me that some years ago, a friend of his was in a newsagency, bought a ticket and scratched it, not a winner, and he saw several other scratch tickets that had been scratched and left on the lotto bench.

He had a look at them, and noticed that one of them had 3 x $10,000 on the scratch panel. He spoke to the newsagent, who said, "Finders keepers". No security cameras in those days, no way of knowing who purchased the ticket, the police could not do anything about it, so he cashed it in.

I know that a number of newsagents now check discarded scratchies, and they do find some winning tickets that have been tossed away - only small pays - but it shows people are not careful enough. (I double check all my scratchies)

• Like 4

I first started my fishing at Yowie Bay wharf, mostly after school with a few of the boys, catching whatever turned up. The numbers dropped off over the years, and I fished more in the early mornings, but I kept on fishing

I still fish with one mate, who I have known since nappy days - I am one month older than him.

I though Yowie was a good name. I have had a number of other nicknames over the years, but not for here.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I used to fish in a lot of ANSA conventions and club events back in the day and was fortunate enough to fish in other membersโ€™ boats. As a kid, I was always prone to getting car sick. As I got older, I mostly got over that but still, sea sickness was an issue in certain boats (although I think it was directly proportionate to the amount of beer and cheap port drunk the night before at ANSAย conventions). One time, afterย being spotted still throwing up half an hour after arriving back at the ramp (Greenwell Point, I think), the guys started calling me Berley Barry, Berley Baz or Berleyguts. So many years later, when I discovered Fishraider, thatโ€™s what I chose as my user name. ๐Ÿคช

My wife wouldnโ€™t let me put โ€œBerleygutsโ€ on the side of my boat. When I bought my latest boat, and was looking for a name for it, my Over 35s soccer mates suggested โ€œSea Minerโ€, which was a twist on my soccer nickname, โ€œMinerโ€. I got called Miner because they reckoned I had a predilection to falling over at soccer and I was โ€œalways in the groundโ€. Sea Minerย is also a twist on C Minor (a chord) and as I play guitar it seemed appropriate. I still havenโ€™t put the name on the boat, though... Iโ€™m trying to find someone who can design the artwork for a decal... Iโ€™m picturing a caricature of a Yosemite Sam type miner with a pick axe on his back fighting a fish.

Incidentally, thinking back, I believe I was more prone to seasickness in glass boats than aluminium boats, perhaps because they rideย differently.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I used to fish in a lot of ANSA conventions and club events back in the day and was fortunate enough to fish in other membersโ€™ boats. As a kid, I was always prone to getting car sick. As I got older, I mostly got over that but still, sea sickness was an issue in certain boats (although I think it was directly proportionate to the amount of beer and cheap port drunk the night before at ANSAย conventions). One time, afterย being spotted still throwing up half an hour after arriving back at the ramp (Greenwell Point, I think), the guys started calling me Berley Barry, Berley Baz or Berleyguts. So many years later, when I discovered Fishraider, thatโ€™s what I chose as my user name. ๐Ÿคช

My wife wouldnโ€™t let me put โ€œBerleygutsโ€ on the side of my boat. When I bought my latest boat, and was looking for a name for it, my Over 35s soccer mates suggested โ€œSea Minerโ€, which was a twist on my soccer nickname, โ€œMinerโ€. I got called Miner because they reckoned I had a predilection to falling over at soccer and I was โ€œalways in the groundโ€. Sea Minerย is also a twist on C Minor (a chord) and as I play guitar it seemed appropriate. I still havenโ€™t put the name on the boat, though... Iโ€™m trying to find someone who can design the artwork for a decal... Iโ€™m picturing a caricature of a Yosemite Sam type miner with a pick axe on his back fighting a fish.

Incidentally, thinking back, I believe I was more prone to seasickness in glass boats than aluminium boats, perhaps because they rideย differently.

May I ask what ANSA clubs you.ve been a member of?ย 

Many years ago I was an active member of the Culburra club and for a lot of those years held a committee position.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I was fortunate enough to win 100k on a scratchie many years ago!

Good one scratchie & here I was thinking it had something to do with a bad rash or infection ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Wow Scratchie, that's awesome. Great story.

Years ago I won 200, $1 scratchies in a competition, thought I was in for something big and ended up with something like $5.

Years ย ago as an apprentice ten of us threw in equal dollars to buy 3 x $250 (750 x $1) books of scratchies, we all thought we couldnโ€™t lose, well we all ended upย out of ย pocket by $11 ๐Ÿ˜ซ

• Haha 2

HI,

My pen name is a bit milder. I hated school from the first day, always in trouble. A teacher called me a Rebel and the name has stuck through the years. Even when I was playing sport the name stuck. Now I do reviewsย here and there I use my adopted name. Even to this dayย my wife calls me Rebel.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

May I ask what ANSA clubs you.ve been a member of?ย 

Many years ago I was an active member of the Culburra club and for a lot of those years held a committee position.

Iโ€™ve been a member of St George Sportfishing Club since about 1979, I think. I let my membership lapse a few times due to travel but Iโ€™m still a member. Thereโ€™s no Port Stephens club unfortunately. The Nowra ANSA comp was one of my favourites and our club weekend the weekend before was always enjoyable. The Culburraย fishos were a great bunch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Iโ€™ve been a member of St George Sportfishing Club since about 1979, I think. I let my membership lapse a few times due to travel but Iโ€™m still a member. Thereโ€™s no Port Stephens club unfortunately. The Nowra ANSA comp was one of my favourites and our club weekend the weekend before was always enjoyable. The Culburraย fishos were a great bunch.

We may have crossed paths as it was the early to mid 80's I was in the club. We used to have an annual interclub comp with St George, which was more social than anything. I really enjoyed those days mentoring the young kids getting into sportfishing and landbased game.

I drifted away from ANSA in the late 80's when I moved a little further down the coast and there was no clubs in the area.

23 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

We may have crossed paths as it was the early to mid 80's I was in the club. We used to have an annual interclub comp with St George, which was more social than anything. I really enjoyed those days mentoring the young kids getting into sportfishing and landbased game.

I drifted away from ANSA in the late 80's when I moved a little further down the coast and there was no clubs in the area.

You probably saw me throwing up at the ramp! ๐Ÿคข ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿ˜‚ I was backpacking from early 84 to December 87, so I missed a lot of good ANSA years.

• Haha 1