Looking for a light spinning reel

Leon C

The reel question you want to ask (haha punny) yourself, is do i actually need to spend $150 or more on a reel that size??

I would personally just get youself a 2500 or 1000 size Shimano Sienna or a Sedona, especially that the new Sienna has the same bearings as the Sedona, and is $55 from Dinga on sale and you get a reel cover, you honestly can't go wrong.

I have bought a couple and think the are damn good and 10 year warranty, how can you compete with that??, and even the old Sienna with 1+1 ball bearings and still work perfect, from being dunked in the yak to dropping it in sand, catching decent carp to 40cm bream, for a $50-70 reel its good for "light" fishing. I use a sedona 1000 on my 1-3 and a 2500hgfg on my 2-4 sahara x, and theolder sedona on the other backup 2-4.

I know there is plenty of good reels and combos out there and others which can be better or recommended by other people and fishos, but a simple sienna or sedona/sahara reel works great, i have used shimano reels for years and never had a problem. i just dont think its worth spending the extra $$$ on a small size reel.

ps. not sponsered by shimano nor dinga i just love them and use them.

16 hours ago, Rebel said:

I will not buy Daiwa. Their after sales service is terrible.

Historically I agree with you 100%. I'd heard it from multiple sources I trust and was unimpressed with them the few times I'd dealt with them. Shimano on the other hand when I used to work near their offices in Taren point bent over backwards to help me beyond what I would have expected. I used to take my reels and those of my friends in for the annual services. It is why I recommend Shimano to people starting out.

The proviso - I think Daiwa make excellent product and I have no issue with using their gear. When I found an ex-Daiwa technician that would service both the Daiwa and the Shimano gear I own at a reasonable price, quick turn-around and at a location convenient to me in Sydney I started to buy some more Daiwa gear.

The other thing that has changed according to sources I trust is that Daiwa have improved their after sales service dramatically. I don't have personal experience of that.

In the price bracket the originally poster is talking about it becomes a borderline throwaway item. I'd service my Symetre 1500 (at least used to) and the Stradic 1000 but not the Siennas or the Sedona. In fact when I started using the Sedona 2500 I bought three of them. One set up with 4lb braid, one set up with 8lb braid and the third remains in the box as a spare body for if and when one of the other two dies. In my case a $270 outlay is close in price to that of one Stradic 2500.

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

In the price bracket the originally poster is talking about it becomes a borderline throwaway item. I'd service my Symetre 1500 (at least used to) and the Stradic 1000 but not the Siennas or the Sedona. In fact when I started using the Sedona 2500 I bought three of them. One set up with 4lb braid, one set up with 8lb braid and the third remains in the box as a spare body for if and when one of the other two dies. In my case a $270 outlay is close in price to that of one Stradic 2500.

Exactly, you can have three or so different setups for the price of one, and if one fails you, your not without a reel.

Especially under that $150 mark, could get 3 siennas for that, first siennas with the 1+1bb when they were like $35-45 say 2-3 years ago, still going strong never even washed them or serviced them and still pull in fish.

4 minutes ago, Squ!rt said:

Especially under that $150 mark, could get 3 siennas for that, first siennas with the 1+1bb when they were like $35-45 say 2-3 years ago, still going strong never even washed them or serviced them and still pull in fish.

Since I use my 2500 reels so often in my case it was worth spending the $40 extra to get the Sedona over the Sienna for the added smoothness of the reel. I also own several Siennas as a guest reel (for when I'm teaching people soft plastics for the first time and as an object lesson as to why you might want to spend the extra money if you are not on a tight budget).

1 minute ago, DerekD said:

Since I use my 2500 reels so often in my case it was worth spending the $40 extra to get the Sedona over the Sienna for the added smoothness of the reel. I also own several Siennas as a guest reel (for when I'm teaching people soft plastics for the first time and as an object lesson as to why you might want to spend the extra money if you are not on a tight budget).

im the same @DerekD siennas, sedonas  and even higher on the food chain like stella, but if your gonna be using a reel just for landbased for carp or bream/flathead etc with a 1-3kg rod i don't see the need to spend more than a $55 sienna that will do the job, personally i like the sedona over the sienna more, but the new sienna are pretty nice and feel fairly smooth.

37 minutes ago, Squ!rt said:

im the same @DerekD siennas, sedonas  and even higher on the food chain like stella,

Hi Squ!rt,

Ok. Now I'm jealous. I only went to Stradic.

How about I put it another way? If I got you to close your eyes and gave you a 2500 Sienna (last series not the red one as I haven't tried that) and a 2500 Sedona to play with and told you that you have to go fishing one hour every day flicking around small soft plastics and hard bodies and you have to use one of those two based on feel, smoothness and handling which one would you pick?

In my case the Sedona. I know that we could do Sedona and Nasci and so on up the Shimano food chain but with the $150 budget from the original poster which is the best bang for buck? I agree with the two Sienna for one Sedona approach but since with a little bit of care they fish for a long time (I still have a 12+ year old Slade guest reel which works well and has seen a lot of fish but bushes instead of bearings) you are not likely to wear either out so it becomes a case of which feels nicer on a scale of diminishing returns. Working within realistic budget constraints, every person I've been through this exercise with went with Sedona for the $40 extra. At the time as pretty as it was I would not have gone the extra $40 plus to make the jump from the Sedona to the Nasci. Depending on the shop I was at I asked the sales person to show us the reel they would pick if there was no budget - I couldn't justify it but I soooo wanted some of the reels they showed us (I don't remember the name but it was about $500 which I wouldn't spend on a sub 4000 sized reel).

At this stage if I took the original poster in to a store to find a reel to match the 1-3kg I'd be suggesting a 1000 reel with either 4lb braid or a super skinny 6lb braid and most likely the Sedona as a baseline.

This has been an interesting topic. I'll be looking forward to seeing what the original poster decides on.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

To varios comments on reels I buy. I service all my own gear. Do not send any reels to be serviced. As far as Dawia is concerned, read past posts on their headaches with Diawa. I do a lot of research before I buy anything. Megatron 6000 are still $68.00. Rules on this Forum, state I can't tell you where.

Cheers.

Years ago I bought 2 CI4 stradic 1000, Now I wish they were 2500 !!    Very little weight difference but larger spool casts and retrieves better, I know because I now have 2 2500 and 2 3000 stradics to compare to !!.

DAIWA

REVROS LT

I like these too , I have 2 and like them !!!

Edited by bluefin

Wow, this thread took off! Perhaps I should have thought about it a bit longer, but I ordered the Nasci 1000 for $130 on Wednesday night and had it turn up this morning. Seems like there is a fair bit of support for the cheaper reels in these small sizes, with a few people favouring the higher end stuff.

A recent experience made me shy away from the cheapies. I bought a Fin Nor LT40 last year, and after only a few sessions, the main gear assembly failed - the zinc gear broke free from the steel shaft around which is is cast. Seems like I was just unlucky.

My logic for not spending more, is that the Daiwa BG I have seems extremely well made, so I assumed that a Shimano offering at the same price range would be comparable quality. The next Shimano up the food chain that I looked at, the Stradic, was a fair bit more expensive.

Anyway, the reel seems smooth and light in my hands and I'm happy it has the seals to protect it from some incidental splashes. I'll get it spooled up with line and hopefully get out on the water next week some time, when this westerly dies down.

Thanks to everyone for the considered input, there is plenty of knowledge and experience around here.

To varios comments on reels I buy. I service all my own gear. Do not send any reels to be serviced. As far as Dawia is concerned, read past posts on their headaches with Diawa. I do a lot of research before I buy anything. Megatron 6000 are still $68.00. Rules on this Forum, state I can't tell you where.

Cheers.

That is surprising with the Fin-Nor. I have a Fin-Nor Lethal 100 reel on Daiwa Blood Demon 9' rod. Great combo,never had a problem with the reel.

Good luck with your Nasci 1000, they are a great reel.

57 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Cheers.

That's fair enough - please PM me the link.

7 hours ago, anthman said:

It is: https://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/articles/stradic-fl.html

Are you thinking about the stradic ci4+? Cause then you would be right.

The main part of the reel with the stem is metal. But the side plate to access internals is plastic.

nope. Im confident from reviews the hagane body is just fancy advertising on the FL. Apparently the FK has hagane body aswell and mine is fancy plastic

Edited by xerotao

14 hours ago, xerotao said:

The main part of the reel with the stem is metal. But the side plate to access internals is plastic.

nope. Im confident from reviews the hagane body is just fancy advertising on the FL. Apparently the FK has hagane body aswell and mine is fancy plastic

I guess it would make sense to have metal in the frame/structural parts where flex would occur. Would explain the lightness as well (compared to a full metal body - e.g. Daiwa BG). Can you link me the reviews around hagane body that you saw? All that's coming up for me is the official marketing...

Guest Guest123456789

I really like the Jarvis walker kids range - they have a 6 foot rod which is light and stiff tipped for lures with really good guides. The grips aren’t excellent but good enough. The drag is quite catchy but if you inox it up and swap the felt washers for plastic ice cream Container washers it feels really nice. Costs $15 from the big fishing and camping outlets (rod and reel combo). I chucked out the mono and spooled it up with some daiwa x8 j braid.