Outboard motor advice

Blade

Hi Raiders, 

I am looking at upgrading the motor on my tinny. The max rated motor based on the build plate on the boat is 20hp.

I have found a really good deal on a new motor but it is 25hp. I dont have a lot of experience with boats so I am looking for some advice from those who have more experience on would it be okay to put the 25hp on the boat, keeping in mind I dont ever intend on going full throttle, I just want enough power to get me on the plane.

Thanks in advance.

kMy quintrex sportsman had a 20hp on it when I replaced it & think for memory it's rated 20 but as I wanted  mercury seapro they only had 15 & 25hp so the guys at the dealership checked out my transom & said no issue, it had support braces & was solid as.

The 2 motors were pretty much the same weight just that 5 more up on the 25.

Just get the transom checked out.

Can you put up a picture of the internal area of your transom?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

You might find that it is all fine and there are no issues.

The max HP rating was related to the weight, and new motors have certainly shed a few kilos.

The issue you will have is insurance. If there is a problem and they see a 25 on a boat that is rated for a 20 then I suspect you'll have issues. You might be able to get a boat engineer to check and up the HP rating. No idea about the $$$.

I have heard that some people just replace the cowling of the stickers on the new engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice, I will upload a pic of the transom later today. The motor I am looking at is a Parsun. I have been looking out for a good 2nd hand motor for a few weeks now and there doesn't seem to be much in 15hp to 20hp below $1800. It looks like I would be able to get a new Parsun in my budget. From what I have seen online the back seems to be very good with the distributor backing his product. I haven't seen anything online that suggests these motors are unreliable and will leave you stranded. 

Just keen to get some Raiders thoughts?

thanks in advance 

Not sure about Parsun, don't know anything about them, where they are made or quality.

Do your homework!

You get what you pay for in boating.

Are you looking at 2 stroke? 

Also you need to check what shaft length you need for your boat.

I have a short shaft on my tinny.

• Thanks 1

Probably not worth the risk of potential insurance or legal problems. The limit is also there for a reason, the boat might become unstable or handle poorly. Is the Parsun a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Does the boat have a motor weight rating as well? I wouldn't say motors are lighter these days as 4 strokes weren't prevalent when older boats were built and rated. And 4 strokes are substantially heavier.

As to Parsun motors they seem all right with many sold here. I have a Parsun 90 hp myself and it performs well. 

• Like 1

Not a big fan of Chinese made engines and I'd be even more concerned when it involves water! But that's my take on them.

Here is a good article. I haven't read it but seems to have a lot of info. Note the article is in regards to a 4stroke but still have some relevant info

https://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/COLUMN110_prev.pdf

Edited by Belligero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Belligero said:

Not a big fan of Chinese made engines and I'd be even more concerned when it involves water! But that's my take on them.

Here is a good article. I haven't read it but seems to have a lot of info. Note the article is in regards to a 4stroke but still have some relevant info

https://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/COLUMN110_prev.pdf

Really good review and makes me fell more confident

6 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Probably not worth the risk of potential insurance or legal problems. The limit is also there for a reason, the boat might become unstable or handle poorly. Is the Parsun a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Does the boat have a motor weight rating as well? I wouldn't say motors are lighter these days as 4 strokes weren't prevalent when older boats were built and rated. And 4 strokes are substantially heavier.

As to Parsun motors they seem all right with many sold here. I have a Parsun 90 hp myself and it performs well. 

Its a 2 stroke, here are pictures of the transom as well.

I looked at the weight of the motors on the Parsun website and they are the same for a 20HP and a 25HP so it boils down to the difference in output of the motors which according to the website is 3.7 horses 

Transom 2.jpg

Transom.jpg

Edited by Blade

9 minutes ago, Blade said:

Really good review and makes me fell more confident

Yes and a good point about injectors verses carbies. Actually the bread and butter of many repair shops is water damage. Being able to get back in is an important consideration also. It's a real weak point of injected motors which dealers don't tell you about. When I raised this once the dealer told me to 'get out of boating'!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

Another option is to contact the manufacturer. Sometimes they will re- rate the boat.

Its a 1999 Ally Craft. Ally Craft as far as I know were sold to Telwater and no longer exist 

When it comes down to it we can offer all the advise under the sun from a forum base but you need to get the proper mechanical advice from someone who deals with this on a day to day basis.

I have looked at your pictures & I can tell by the pictures that your tinny wasn't built like my tinny.

My tinny is old school, thick seam welding, 2 braces on the transom.

Its heavy duty & like all things 1969 era was built solid & meant to last.

Personally I would work on the 20HP limit & be happy they its 15 more horses than what you had, you will be happy & enjoy the extra performance it gives you.

Also looking at the transom design I would say its definitely a short shaft motor needed, but again you need to ask someone who knows.

Imo try go through a licenced dealer, your warranty will be sound, they will give you the best advice over someone that will just agree with you to get a sale!!

Good luck Blade  👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally would not put a bigger HP than the boat is rated for, strength of the boat is only part of the problem, you are exceeding the manufacturers recommendation, plain and simple. If it's rated to a max of 20 stay within that range. I personally would shop around for a "brand" name motor, either a Mercury or a Yamaha in that HP would be my pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

I'd trust a new Parsun with warranty more than a 10 or 15 year old so called 'name' brand. 

Isn't he buying new? if not, then plenty of near new ones around, if you look, but, it's his choice of course, it's his money

12 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

I'd trust a new Parsun with warranty more than a 10 or 15 year old so called 'name' brand. 

just reread the first post, he was looking at second hand, my mistake.

Stick with the recommended size motor Blade. Insurance companies are highly skilled at finding reasons to avoid a payout without you handing them one. Look at it this way: Make the right choice NOW and you'll have many years of hassle free boating / fishing. bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Isn't he buying new? if not, then plenty of near new ones around, if you look, but, it's his choice of course, it's his money

Just an example I picked. And a new Parsun is similar in price to a second hand so called name brand (especially with the 2 stroke run out deals), so it is a valid comparison.

Parsun do have a 20hp short shaft tiller steer 4 stroke available but the price is getting up there close to the name brand 2 strokes. If you ever want to sell the boat you will find it won't be popular with the Parsun motor, so you would have to sell cheaper than market value to get a sale.

Personally I can't see the problem here, just buy a 20hp new OR 2nd hand motor and enjoy your boat and get out there and catch fish.

The fish don't know or care what brand motor you have hanging off the back of the boat.

Frank

• Thanks 1

Hi don't know much about Parsons but new motor compared to unknown used I'd look at new I think people get to hung up on brands .parson has been around for years now don't seem to be any major problems  also being 2 stroke easy to work on

• Like 1