Good session at Putty Beach Central Coast

lucapalooka76

Headed to Putty Beach at 5am this morning. Why is it whenever I plan an early morning session I wake up an hour before my alarm? 🤦‍♂️. After staring at my alarm for 15mins then said f&$k it and got up.

My outfit was a surf spin with 20 pound braid and mono with a running sinker 30 pound leader and 3.0 suicide. I've been bitten off by big Tailor a few times recently so I went probably a bit larger than necessary.

I quickly hooked up to a junior Tailor early and turned her into slab bates. Chucked in my line and was nailed quite quickly by a 64 cm Aussie Salmon. It was towing me up and down the beach and peeled off some line which was awesome.  Dropped the fish as I pulled it up out of the surf. Bolted in and managed to scoop/throw it over my shoulder to save the day. Ah yeah!

Caught another 50cm Salmon which fought as hard as the bigger brother. I was convinced it was a PB and was a little let down when I saw its actual size. It was a little foul hooked so guess that's what made it feel bigger.

Caught some legal sized Bream as well to round off a fun morning at Putty Beach.

Great fun overall.

IMG_20200517_064049.jpg

IMG_20200517_101608.jpg

IMG_20200517_110151.jpg

Edited by lucapalooka76
More photos
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Awesome mate. some nice fish there.

I have to say it though. Every time I see a spin reel laying in the sand, it makes me cringe.

Don't know what you're talking about 🤦‍♂️🤣

PS I washed it just after with fresh water from my drink bottle 👌

Screenshot_20200517-163657.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lucapalooka76 said:

Headed to Putty Beach at 5am this morning. Why is it whenever I plan an early morning session I wake up an hour before my alarm? 🤦‍♂️. After staring at my alarm for 15mins then said f&$k it and got up.

My outfit was a surf spin with 20 pound braid and mono with a running sinker 30 pound leader and 3.0 suicide. I've been bitten off by big Tailor a few times recently so I went probably a bit larger than necessary.

I quickly hooked up to a junior Tailor early and turned her into slab bates. Chucked in my line and was nailed quite quickly by a 64 cm Aussie Salmon. It was towing me up and down the beach and peeled off some line which was awesome.  Dropped the fish as I pulled it up out of the surf. Bolted in and managed to scoop/throw it over my shoulder to save the day. Ah yeah!

Caught another 50cm Salmon which fought as hard as the bigger brother. I was convinced it was a PB and was a little let down when I saw its actual size. It was a little foul hooked so guess that's what made it feel bigger.

Caught some legal sized Bream as well to round off a fun morning at Putty Beach.

Great fun overall.

Ahh, the old foul hook trick, it has had me fooled many times before thinking ive hooked onto something decent. i fish on the boat and the most notorious annoying little bastards are them sweep that somehow always get hooked through the side, and not the mouth

great work on the salmon

8 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Awesome mate. some nice fish there.

I have to say it though. Every time I see a spin reel laying in the sand, it makes me cringe.

It was one of the first things to catch my eye !

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, lucapalooka76 said:

Don't know what you're talking about 🤦‍♂️🤣

PS I washed it just after with fresh water from my drink bottle 👌

Screenshot_20200517-163657.png

Grab yourself a short length of PVC pipe, either from the hardware store or off  a plumber if you know one.

Cheap as chips, weighs next to nothing and ideal for keeping sand out of the reel.

Sometimes washing your reel can force as much sand into it as away from it. Prevention is better than cure and if you don't do it yourself, you'll save a heap of cash by not having to get the reel serviced so often.

Web.jpg

• Thanks 1