Where do you buy pilchards for bait and berley in Sydney?

Gengar

Pillies are probably my general go to bait nowadays as they attract quite a few fish that I target. I generally just go to a shop or a shop to buy pillies for bait and berley but its probably one of the more expensive place given its about $20ish for a 2kg block.

Are there other better places where I can get cheaper pillies for bait and even cheaper ones for berley?

I have done some search and seems Windybanks is a very popular place but that is very far from where I am (near chatswood). Any one can recommend me a place that is closer to chatswood? Feel free to PM me directly if you can't openly recommend a place. Thanks all!

Edited by Gengar
typo

a boating camping and fishing shop sell 2.2kg blocks for $18/$16 from memory - a bit cheaper. (I hope I'm OK mentioning this shop since dinga does not ship bait )

Otherwise  checkout the fish shop near chatswood chase that you have to take stairs down from the main road (Victoria ave) - they might sell fresh ones for a cheap price (or not).

Edited by anthman

holey monkey! $20 for a 2kg block?!

Hunt around, you should definitely be able to find a 2kg block of pillies for around $13-14.

A good place to get IQF pillies in bulk is your local fishmonger at around $6-8/kg. Ask them to sell you a 15kg box still frozen from the back when you see that they have the pilchards on ice in a size you like, and of course, ask for a discount as you are buying the whole 15kgs at once. (This is a bit seasonal and you do need to check sizes as sometimes the pillies are huuuge). (dont buy the ones sitting on ice, they are the IQF's that have been defrosted).

I just realised i cant mention the shops i had in my first post. It automatically converted the name to "a shop" but they are the big ones.

Unfortunately my wife would kill me if i bought 15kg to put in the freezer. Was more think 2 to 5kg max. I would take a 2kg block at $14!

I looked at a local tackle shop in drummoyne and i thinm it was also about $10 per kg.

If anyone can pm me the shop they go that would be much appreciated!

1 hour ago, anthman said:

a boating camping and fishing shop sell 2.2kg blocks for $18/$16 from memory - a bit cheaper. (I hope I'm OK mentioning this shop since dinga does not ship bait )

Otherwise  checkout the fish shop near chatswood chase that you have to take stairs down from the main road (Victoria ave) - they might sell fresh ones for a cheap price (or not).

I know that place down the stairs. I didnt know fish mongers sell pillies but let me have a look next time.

Edited by Gengar

31 minutes ago, motiondave said:

local fish shops should have them, anywhere from $6-$9 a kilo for frozen and or fresh pichards/sardines, just swan into a local fish shop and ask. But "higher class" fish shops tend to charge a ridiculous price. 

and my local bait shop has two kg blocks for about $12.

There should be fishing bait tackle shops , just did a search, theres a bait shop in chatswood if you do a net search and or there would be some in surrounding areas.

Ok let me pop into a few local bait shops and see what i find. Thanks mate!

13 minutes ago, Fun2fish said:

The windybanks  store closed over a year ago but I think they still do bait from servo,s

Oh ok thanks for the heads up though unfortunately that is way too far for me but their prices seemed to be really good. Hopefully the local bait shops around my area have decent price.

there is a big fishing store in Mona Vale.... got a 15kg Box of IQF pillies for 100 bucks. they also do 20kg boxes of block pillies

i need to get myself a small freezer for the garage and store at my parents place. my fridge smells like one large pilchard with 15kg down the bottom freezer :(

@Gengar.... i sent you a PM with details

Edited by M1100S

Some of these prices for bait are just getting out of hand imo!

Baits is as expensive as the human consumption product!!

For the price of the bait it would be just as cheap to go to the fish markets & buy some fish!

Of course that's not much fun but when you add up everything up, cost of boat, rego, insurance etc you need to catch a lot of fish :whistling:

Guest Guest123456789

Not sure where to get pillies around there but I know a few good spots for yum cha