Some rando took my Blackfish

Yon

I was trying a new spot on one of the Eastern Suburbs beaches and about 20 min in had bagged 6 Luderick, which I popped into a shallow rock pool behind me. 
The spot itself is next to an ocean pool, so there were a fair few ppl around. 
Suddenly a lady tapped me on the shoulder, pointed at some homeless looking guy and said “that man just threw your fish back”. 
I walked back to the rock pool to check  and sure enough, all my fish had gone, including one I’d already spiked and bled!

I asked the guy if he’d taken my fish but he just walked off. 
Not really sure what to make of that. It’s so bizarre. 
At any rate the spot is awesome, so will have to return and just use a keeper net or something to mind my catch. 

Yon, It hasn’t happened to me often, but fishing the south end of Palm beach ina southerly I had a woman and her husband, go to the trouble of coming out across the rocks and be openly and aggressively abusive, citing animal liberation and cruelty issues directed at helpless animals by “murderers masquerading as fishermen”. Although not shocked, I was dumbfounded.

I didn’t argue or put my case, as my previous work in psychology in mental health care for the health commission has made me very aware that there can be some deep seated and complex issues many people struggle with that can be exhibited as aggression and very often become physical, so please be careful. We don’t want any hurt “raiders”

A few years ago, my mate and I were getting a few Blackfish and keeping them in a rock pool behind us, there was a Pelican sitting quite close, "doing nothing" when we had enough fish, I tossed the last one in the pool and started packing up our gear, the Pelican wandered over, snapped up the Blackfish and went back to his previous spot, looking all innocent, I checked the pool and there was not one Blackfish left, he'd eaten the lot!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, noelm said:

A few years ago, my mate and I were getting a few Blackfish and keeping them in a rock pool behind us, there was a Pelican sitting quite close, "doing nothing" when we had enough fish, I tossed the last one in the pool and started packing up our gear, the Pelican wandered over, snapped up the Blackfish and went back to his previous spot, looking all innocent, I checked the pool and there was not one Blackfish left, he'd eaten the lot!

easy come,easy go

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Yon, It hasn’t happened to me often, but fishing the south end of Palm beach ina southerly I had a woman and her husband, go to the trouble of coming out across the rocks and be openly and aggressively abusive, citing animal liberation and cruelty issues directed at helpless animals by “murderers masquerading as fishermen”. Although not shocked, I was dumbfounded.

I didn’t argue or put my case, as my previous work in psychology in mental health care for the health commission has made me very aware that there can be some deep seated and complex issues many people struggle with that can be exhibited as aggression and very often become physical, so please be careful. We don’t want any hurt “raiders”

100% mate - I wasn't aggressive or confrontational (I never am) and had no intention of making an issue of it. I was just puzzled that someone would do something like that. At the end of the day it's just a fish... More to catch another day.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

😂😂😂 Mate that story made my morning!

• Like 1

Back in the Seventies, when I lived on the Nth Beaches,I use to go fishing with my neighbour. He was a real Bushy. He used to bring an Air Rifle with him.  I asked why ? Thieves he said. I have to tell you know one came near us while we were fishing.

One year later I bought a boat. The neighbour arrived at the front door ready to go armed with his fishing gear and a Rifle. What's with the Gun ? Sharks.We were headed 20k's off Newport Beach.

True Story.

• Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789
11 hours ago, Yon said:

100% mate - I wasn't aggressive or confrontational (I never am) and had no intention of making an issue of it. I was just puzzled that someone would do something like that. At the end of the day it's just a fish... More to catch another day.

Don’t try to figure out the crazies out or make sense of their behaviour. Hopefully you don’t encounter him again.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

12 hours ago, noelm said:

Seen that happen quite a few times on the Avoca platform, love the way they go back to where they were & pretend nothing ever happened & then sneak back for another one when your backs turned

One time at a cleaning table while sorting some flatties I was distracted by an onlooker when suddenly  my hand & flathead disappeared down a pelicans gob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pelicans are a pest now at cleaning tables, a few weeks ago I saw a tourist "sneaking" up on one to take a photo, she got really close, kneeling down beside the water, IPhone held out in front, the Pelican swooshed it's beak out and took the phone in one gulp, the lady pooped her pants and screamed, the Pelican kind of tossed it around in his "mouth" decided it wasn't much good and spat it out in about a metre of water.

• Haha 4

Last year while squidding 2 of us were getting into a few & another bloke wasn’t having much luck & I suggested he come up near where we were, he tried for a while to no avail (newby at it) anyway his gear was near the rock pool I had mine in & like one of those damn pelicans he was there sitting for a while & then left, on returning to the pool with my final squid for the the session which would of been 8 to 30cm hood length I only had five to clean up, I wasn’t to phased though but that friggen pelican after trying to help him    managed to get 3 for himself.

At the same spot I’ve seen these featherless pelicans try the same thing on with tackle I just stare them down it’s funny how they move off when you turn around & take a couple of steps back towards your gear, bloody mongrels!

• Sad 1