Wat To Do

damariboyz

If you got back to the boat ramp and your trailer had been stolen what would you do.

I asked my dad this question today and he could'nt give me an answer. So I told him I would ask the experts as they would give me the good oil. I may be a little paraniod as I am taking his boat out later this month overnight. To be honest I guess I would just ring a towing mob and let them do their thing. Is there a particular proceedure that any body would follow in this situation.

Happy :1fishing1: Russ

Bloody good question.

I'd just put my boat on the roof rack, but that's not an option for most.

If there were vacant moorings around I guess you could tie up, hitch a lift to the ramp and come back when you arranged the use of a trailer. Otherwise, I suppose most people would be sympathetic if you left it tied up to the side of a pontoon or jetty overnight or so.

But what a shitty situation...I hope not too many trailers get flogged: I have my suspicions about Tunks...

Hmm I think what you would do would depends a lot on where you were. For example, if you launched at Akuna Bay, Rose Bay or the Spit, there are a lot of Marinas there that would let you throw the boat on a berth or a mooring whilst you sorted it out (for a price). If you were in a more remote spot, hmmm i guess you would be reliant on some of the other Fisho's who were there, they would be sympathetic to your situation. In any event i reckon you would swear a real lot and be somewhat "annoyed" with the world. Hope it doesnt happen to any Raider.

Happened to a mate of mine (Bogger) at the wharf rd ramp on the parra river.

Came back to the ramp at about 11.00 am after an early launch to find the ute (beautiful black SS Holden ute!!!) with no trialer. :1badmood:

He tried a local boat sales place & they refused him the use or hire of a trailer!!! (don't know which one).

Some phone call ensued - a "mate of a mate" who had a similar boat was a builder & had never met Bogger downed tools (he was working), went home & got his boat, took it down to the ramp & dropped his boat in the water to pick up Bogger's boat (leaving apprentice to watch builder's boat), dumped Bogger's boat on his mother-in-laws front lawn & went back, collected his boat (& apprentice) and went bak to work. aroud 4 hours work lost for the builder!!!!

WOULD NOT ACCEPT MONEY!!!!! he said hopefully someone would return the favour should that happen to him one day!!!!!

(Sorry for the drawn-out story, but it's allways good to share a bit of good news - except for the stolen trailer)

The poice said that stolen boat trailers are RARELY recovered.

Ever since this event, Bogger allways locks his trailer to the car (not 100% guarantee - but at least it is something!).

Probably a good idea to keep a couple of phone numbers handy of people with similar boats - just in case!!!!

Numbers.

One of the things I checked with my insurance company was that they would cover transport of the boat in the event that the trailer was stolen... Might be worth a phone call to see if you are covered.

I like Telco's idea the best... More bait, fuel and beer and deal with it later :thumbup:

Its one of the worst possible scenarios for a boat owner. Hope it doesnt happen to any of us.

Personally i would be forced to ring my boat dealer and pray he could bring me down a new one. If he was closed i dont know what id do to be honest other than ring my insurance company and take their advice. Its very hard to borrow someone elses trailer when a boat is sitting on it.

Prevention is the best cure.

A trailer hitch lock is a simple an effective device, and also ensures your trailer doesnt come off the ball in an accident or whatever. I dont tow a trailer without one fitted and padlocked.

if your really worried a 'Clamp It' will deter any would be thief as its just too much trouble to get past one and when 99% of people dont use one when at the ramp why would a thief bother to try.

Another simple idea is to loop a short piece of chain though the gaps in one wheel (if there is any) any padlock it back to itself.

Ive heard of people deflating one wheel and re-pumping it on return. ( Not real good for the tyre though )

Dont forget thieves go for the easiest option most times so by using deterents like these will make extremely unlucky to have your trailer stolen.

Edited by Grantm

G`day Fellas ,

Wouldn`t it be much more simple to form a club of some sort , whereby willing members would immediately come to the aid of the other .

And wouldn`t you think that in this day and age , Insurance companies would supply the service at no cost , they already have your buisness , so why not try and keep it ???.

anybody out there wanna start such a club??.

Mick

If your fishing botany bay’ you could join St George anglers they have secure parking. Check with BUSTER1 “Garry” he is a member and can give you a leg up. :thumbup:

I remember a post a while back a bloke had his trailer nicked, he was a member of club Marine and they arranged a replacement trailer in a couple of hours. :biggrin2:

I have always worried about this happening, and over the 30 years I have been boating the worst thing that has happened to me is coming back and finding my winch cable and handle missing. Over the last couple of years I have been using a couple of deterents a hitch lock and a Klamp-it for the sake of $250 I think it has been money well spent

post-1321-1134104101_thumb.jpg

post-1321-1134104120_thumb.jpg

I remember a similar thread on an other fishing/boating site. The trailer thieves actually had a spotter who waited for the happless fisho to tie up their boat and leave to get another trailer then they would either strip the boat or put it on the trailer and steal it.

Absolute low scum. Having had two houses broken into both times at night when I was home I hate thieving of any kind no matter how small, it is still someone elses hard earned property.

I padlock the little box trailer I use with the tinnie.

When I eventually upgrade and get a bigger boat and trailer I will use one of those hitch locks, a wheel clamp and maybe smith and wesson.........

Cheers

Trev

i was speaking to the SeaTow rep at the boat show a couple of months ago, and i asked him this very question. he said that this topic had come up and that they would be looking at possibly offering a trailer service....guess they'll have to change their name to Sea/Land Tow :1prop:

A padlock sounds like a good first measure, and clamping the wheels seems to be the ideal solution but for a bit cheaper (going with the idea of the chain through the wheel) why not get one of those motorbike locks that are a heavy duty insulated cable with a round key type lock?? they just slip through one of the wheels and are as tough as you get, despite being cable I think they are claimed to be virtually impossible to cut through with anything short of a grinder. I used to use one on my mountain bike.

If you are staying overnight or in a suspect area, try chocking the trailer and removing one wheel. Store the wheel in the boot of your car (or in your mates car if you are a group).

This is not fool proof and is a hassle but as most people say, the theif will probably 'move on', rather than try.

Clamps are ok for the more expensive outfits, but my trailer is only worth a couple of hundred dollars anyway. It would be the hassle of a theft and not the value of the loss that would make me take steps.

If you are staying overnight or in a suspect area, try chocking the trailer and removing one wheel. Store the wheel in the boot of your car (or in your mates car if you are a group).

This is not fool proof and is a hassle but as most people say, the theif will probably 'move on', rather than try.

Clamps are ok for the more expensive outfits, but my trailer is only worth a couple of hundred dollars anyway. It would be the hassle of a theft and not the value of the loss that would make me take steps.

Had a mate that used to do that on a dual axle trailer

Know what happens

You come back and find that another wheel is gone.

Some p@##k who wants a spare for his trailer says "shit look someones pinched one already, Ill have one too"

The other thing to remember is that its not much point using a hitch lock if you have a removeable tow bar

Heard a story about one getting pinched where they just took the trailer towbar section and all

Clampits work and the motor cycle cable is a good idea

Had a mate that used to do that on a dual axle trailer

The other thing to remember is that its not much point using a hitch lock if you have a removeable tow bar

Heard a story about one getting pinched where they just took the trailer towbar section and all

Agrred, but you can also get a lock for the pin in the removable towball as well.

that way they have to take the car and the trailer.. but thats another problem I guess

I find the hitchlock is also a good idea as it keeps the hitch on the ball all the time (my trailer used to jump a bit) as well as provide some security

• 5 weeks later...

If you got back to the boat ramp and your trailer had been stolen what would you do.

I asked my dad this question today and he could'nt give me an answer. So I told him I would ask the experts as they would give me the good oil. I may be a little paraniod as I am taking his boat out later this month overnight. To be honest I guess I would just ring a towing mob and let them do their thing. Is there a particular proceedure that any body would follow in this situation.

Happy :1fishing1: Russ

just to throw a twist to the story. what if your trailer was still there (after the clamp it and hitch pin lock did their job) but your winch, skids,rollers etc were taken. how do you get the boat out of the water and onto the trailer??? just a thought. i had this happen to me. bare steel shell left at the ramp(wheels still on though)!!!! any ideas?? :(:(

As a few guys have suggested, prevention is better than cure, secure the trailer up before you leave. I also have a lock for the trailer to tow ball, only takes a few seconds to lock up. There is a guy down at a boat ramp I frequent and his trailer is always chained to a tree, now thats a good deterent, but if they really wanted it, they'd figure a way. My trailer is only average anyhow, but I still lock it up. BTW, guys, when parking your trailer, dont forget to grab your winch handle if its not permanently attached to the winch, just lately I have picked up two winch handles that have been found on the ramp, put them on the side near the tap, they must have been found, by the owners I hope, because they were gone when I returned.

Back to the question now, if the trailer was gone, rant and rave, have a big barney, then ring the insurance company, I heard Club Marine will bring a trailer round to pick up your boat, not sure if the other ins cos do that.

Edited by Narralakes