Back in action

JonD

Seems the fish are back on the chew along the beaches, with some hefty salmon among them. A friend ( the young lad I was showing the ropes to last week ) found a patch of big salmon from a beach in Narooma today. We found numerous patches of fish along the beach north of Dalmeny this evening and at the same time my sons friend ( another apprentice I took to the beach two weeks ago!!) was catching both salmon and tailor this evening from a Bermagui beach.

Our intension had been to fish well after dark but having landed his best salmon I was quite relieved to here my son say we can go home now if you like. What's with these youngsters in shorts and just a thin shirt on the beach mid winter anyway.

His big salmon almost didn't happen when a dolphin grabbed hold of it for a while ( a first for us ). There were also a few fish that straightened the halco lure hooks after this big one. No luck on the baited rods but in all honesty we didn't give them much of a chance leaving quiet early. 

Kept a few fish for gummy baits and a few fillets to smoke, no doubt we will fish somewhere again tomorrow!!!...now he's addicted.

69cm and 11lb on boga grip scales.

IMG_7854.JPG.bb8256a51a28e0fcbe00aba7e16b6d94.JPG

IMG_7855.JPG.26aa0ba66d877222bc2e132cff5248d0.JPG

IMG_7851.thumb.JPG.1433c69cf4e114e58697618379635675.JPG

IMG_7848.JPG.37a6e70537c2209a9d15b8414a229931.JPG

IMG_7853.JPG.5d3083c2066d2955bbc2d4e3aeaae888.JPG

IMG_7852.JPG.7a7ad608c368341006a0106bc73272e6.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice report as usual.

The flesh looks great once you get rid of the bloodline.

Are you measuring any of these salmon?

Some look like they could go close to a forum record?

Yes I did put that it was 69cm at the bottom of the post. It wasn't so much the length but its belly was so full of baitfish it looked ready to explode. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonD said:

Yes I did put that it was 69cm at the bottom of the post. It wasn't so much the length but its belly was so full of baitfish it looked ready to explode. 

Missed that, should have gone to spec savers :biggrinthumb:

Actually didnt have my glasses on so sort of skipped over it & mainly looked at the picture 🙄

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Well done Jon and boys.

Glad to see the fish have returned and quality ones at that. 69cm is a beast!!

Were your straightened hooks the original trebels on the twisties? I've noticed they a look a bit on the light side, but I always swap over to a single with all my metals, so I've never used them.

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Well done Jon and boys.

Glad to see the fish have returned and quality ones at that. 69cm is a beast!!

Were your straightened hooks the original trebels on the twisties? I've noticed they a look a bit on the light side, but I always swap over to a single with all my metals, so I've never used them.

Original hooks, even the split ring pulled apart, partly because my son has both 20lb braid and 20lb leaders. The other outfit was 6lb braid and 10lb mono, even this straightened hooks on river to rock lures. Some of the lures had singles ( decoy ) and again straightened!!!!

53 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

They are behemoths! How are they on the chew, fillets look good?

I don't mind them, especially for smoking. They are great in fishcakes and fish bakes. 

• Like 1