Port Hacking Sunday Trip

hookerbruce

Weather leading up to sunday was not encouraging so decided to do a short afternoon trip with a grandson.

Left grays point ramp at 2pm and headed out off Jibbon Pt the swell had backed off a lot but the Bommie was still working well and got my grandsons attention. Stopped in 35 meters for our first drift which produced 1 keeper flathead and a couple of whales making an appearance. Second drift no keepers so moved to deeper water for the next drift. this produced just 2 fish plus a small baracoutta in 45 meters. Moved out to drifted in 50-55 m got got 4 lost at least 3 good fish to medium sized mako. Had another drift and got 6 without the mako showing up. Flathead 35 - 47 cm grandson got the best.

Headed back in near Jibbon beach landed some tailor and trevally on unweighted pilchard pieces drifted down the berley trail, kept a couple of each then fished deep water off lilli Pilli till just after sunset for undersize red bream, back at the ramp at 6 PM. Managed a new species for grandson ( barracoutta) plus a PB tiger flathead, and had a pleasant afternoon keeping 17 fish.

Over the last couple of weeks I've had a few blackfish trips George's river just a few fish and the Macleay River quite productive with several fish in a day over 40 cms. The weather for the next couple of days is looking good so I'll be having another fish

• Like 4

Very nice there Bruce. 

Only the one tiger? A bit early for them just yet, usually better for them from September. How big was it?

Have had the odd mako turn up beside the boat over the years, 4 to 6 footers not far off the coast, but nothing eaten from the hook.