Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out this morning to Bate Bay, starting the drift at sunrise. Took a while to find even a few spikies, then found more of them so kept a couple for bait.

After quite some time, I was thinking of moving, then pulled up a couple of under sized blue spots, so kept at it then hit a patch of slightly bigger fish. From just over legal to about 40cm, not big fish, but happy to pull up a feed considering last weeks big swell and winds. Re-drifted the same spot for a little while to catch my 10, then headed home.

Also a couple of Barry Couta about.

Around the 30 to 35 m depth.

fish.jpeg.246_files.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, hookerbruce said:

With a reasonable weather forecast thought you might be out there had a quick look out front of the bommie as we went south. We didn't see a lot of boats out today. 

Always reliable yowie and blue spot flathead. H

No, not many boats about this morning. I was closer to the bommie than normal today.

Maybe the social websites yesterday talking about the 4 metre Great White off Wanda scared them away. 😆

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great job Yowie!  Nice feed. 
cheers Zoran 

Thank you. Had a feed of fillets last night. Marinated in sweet chilli sauce, garlic, lime rind, lime juice and sweet soy sauce. Accompanied by chips, and a salsa of chopped tomato and red onion flavoured with lime juice and sweet chilli sauce.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, danielsydney said:

Great haul mate!

Would you suggest persisting every time when hitting a patch of undersized blue spots?

Give it a try for a while. If undersized ones keep coming up, none of legal size, then time to move to another area.

Some days I have moved and found them all to be legals in another spot.

A few of them yesterday had fat roes, even for such small fish, so it might have been a mating spot. Sometimes I find a patch of fish, close together, with females with fat roe, and the males are squirting out milt, so obviously the flatties are down in the deep and having a rooting/tooting time together.