Botany Bay 7/9/2020

kingie chaser

Hadn't been out for a while & this trip was more about getting the tinny ready for the season & give the motor a run, have a bit of a flick not that I was overly hopeful & also test my new intended method of trying to to land some kings in the bay this summer without a downrigger.

In the water by 7.30am & headed to the southern head to try for some squid, tried a few colours but nothing about there.

Caught a couple of undersized flathead on SP's & there were multiple schools of taylor dotted aroung the bay which was a bit of fun for a while throwing a metal at them until that got boring.

They were aboout 15/20cm mark

Water temp 16.5*c so still a bit cold & there was a bit of dirty water/floating weed/rubbish about which must havebeen from a recent rainfall still handing around.

Wind got up to about 15/20nts about 11.15 & that was enough for me.

Back at the ramp at 11.30am to the waiting fisheries officers who wanted to see my unopened bag of ice & do a licence check.

Even though not fruitful was still nice to get out.

Next outing will start dropping the crab pot.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Good to just get out and smell the salt water. Sometimes the fish are just a bonus.

Absolutely, its a great thing just to get your mind off everything & just think about where can I get a fish to take home, even if it doesnt happen in the end.

And especially in light of what our Victorian cousins are dealing with atm & can remember the same thing for us not long ago, you sometimes forget about the simple things in life!

Was quite strange to that it was so quiet though, without all the usual plane traffic that comes with the bay, more pleasant for sure but a reminder we are still in rocky times......

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 3

Was also out yesterday with a mate... we manage 3 take home trevally, got 2 undersize flatties, and a few baby pinkies which all went back.

Saw a few dolophins near oil wharf which was a first.

Also went  out last friday and yakkas were damn hard...only got one. Bait kept getting pinched by those small sweep / dart or whatever they called.. pesky little shites.

Hurry up kingies i need to get my first legal one to take home

• Like 1

11 hours ago, M1100S said:

Was also out yesterday with a mate... we manage 3 take home trevally, got 2 undersize flatties, and a few baby pinkies which all went back.

Saw a few dolophins near oil wharf which was a first.

Also went  out last friday and yakkas were damn hard...only got one. Bait kept getting pinched by those small sweep / dart or whatever they called.. pesky little shites.

Hurry up kingies i need to get my first legal one to take home

Well done for the Trev's.

I find it pretty much the usual for this time of year really(May-Sept), I have found that the water temp needs to be between 18 & 22*c before the fish come on strong & the bait fish start to appear in bigger numbers & then the preditors to then follow.

I've have seen a large pod of dolphins in there before but only once, also a humpback & calf which that I found unusual but a great sight.

The whale was just sitting there(obviously resting) in Yarra bay & I actually didnt know what it was thinking it & the calf were large logs(no water spout from breathing at all) & went over to investigate thinking the logs would be pretty dangerous, when as I got about 30/40mtrs away mum brought its tail up & out of the water & slapped it down quickly, to which my reaction was...................................:badair: , had to check my pants after I did a quick U turn 🤣

Edited by kingie chaser

Long time reader first time reporting. Feel free to let me know if I’m doing this wrong and please advise me on what I can do to report better. 

Went out last Saturday and hit the water at 5am. Headed over to Yarra bay and caught a few decent Calimari then on to the yakkas at the next to the tugs. Yakkas were there but those sweep thingies kept getting to the bait first, so only landed one yakka. 
7am offshore at the peak landed an undersize king before the wind picked up so it was time to head back as I didn’t have my steel caps or sinkers in my pockets to keep me grounded but  then was greeted by a huge school of Aussie salmon coming back into the bay. Great fun on the light gear pulled up at Yarra reef for some lunch and some sp flicking with no takers and then out of the water by midday

3356CDE1-BC04-4502-A2F1-638E2536CD7E.jpeg

D3990CCE-9EA3-4140-BEBC-13A2FC4C6819.jpeg

2E5FF957-D277-4DE6-8F33-1EA4E21A3CBC.jpeg

Edited by SKINNYANGLER

18 minutes ago, SKINNYANGLER said:

Long time reader first time reporting. Feel free to let me know if I’m doing this wrong and please advise me on what I can do to report better. 

Went out last Saturday and hit the water at 5am. Headed over to Yarra bay and caught a few decent Calimari then on to the yakkas at the next to the tugs. Yakkas were there but those sweep thingies kept getting to the bait first, so only landed one yakka. 
7am offshore at the peak landed an undersize king before the wind picked up so it was time to head back as I didn’t have my steel caps or sinkers in my pockets to keep me grounded but  then was greeted by a huge school of Aussie salmon coming back into the bay. Great fun on the light gear pulled up at Yarra reef for some lunch and some sp flicking with no takers and then out of the water by midday

3356CDE1-BC04-4502-A2F1-638E2536CD7E.jpeg

D3990CCE-9EA3-4140-BEBC-13A2FC4C6819.jpeg

2E5FF957-D277-4DE6-8F33-1EA4E21A3CBC.jpeg

Hi @SKINNYANGLER & welcome to FR.

Nothing wrong with taging in on someone elses report but if you would like to start your own report or put forward a thread on any other topic all the forum categories are located here-

https://www.fishraider.com.au

If you select a particular category you can then start a new thread within that area to suit your topic.

Sounds like you had a great day out on the water which is all that counts :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1