Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out Sunday arvo with a mate, the only time he and I could find spare time.

Now I know why I don't fish on weekends, Port Hacking is jammed pack with small boats, big boats and jet skis. A f****** nightmare.

Headed out to near Kurnell, and a bit of breeze picked up. It was moving ahead of the rain band, that was not forecast until rather late, the forecast was for light winds to 10 knots. Picked up 2 blue spots, then the wind turned up from near south, more than 20 knots and too hard to drift, so we headed back towards shore, the breeze dropped a fraction so I said, drop here.

Still a bit of a fast drift, but we found a few patches of fish here and there, plus a number of just under blue spots and plenty of spikeys. The wind did drop right back, and the current took over, pushing us south. The last flattie came up after sunset, so we packed up and headed home. Enough for a few feeds each, the biggest at 40cm and one nice flounder.

fish.jpeg.265_files_files.thumb.jpg.84e0a654684a52549903a7e46a06e9ad.jpg

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice looking table, great effort in the conditions. 

Do you have a sea anchor?

Helps me when the wind gets up.

Mate does not have a sea anchor for his boat, it's a 25 footer cabin style.

It was an effort in that wind, but it paid off. Most boats disappeared early, and when we packed up after sunset, not another boat to be seen.

The table is at my mate's place, he made it as I kept on telling him it was too hard to clean the fish on the rocky foreshore. Have had a few large rats run past when cleaning the fish, the table is a good height and cleaner than the rocks. Slippery stainless legs so harder for a rat to climb.

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

yep - the summer hoons are already out and about. 

Nice bag of fish there yowie, decent size to that flounder

did not measure the flounder, but about 35cm.

The jet skis were zooming through all the main channels,and over the shallow water around Maianbar and behind the ballast heap. Too bad if you wanted to fish for whiting or bream in the shallows.

24 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Well done great photo. Thank god the weekend hoons are not about during the week.

Not as bad as during the week,however, a couple of weeks ago a speed boat was going flat chat from Gymea Bay to Lilli Pilli, back and forth several times, 2 young blokes on board, then from Lilli Pilli to Burraneer Bay and back several times. No care about anyone else on the water.

Nice work Yowie

I went out for a squid bash on Sunday arvo and was hammered by that same wind squall about 4pm. Still got a few inkers though. I also got the yak out into the Hacking for the first time yesterday and picked up a nice bream on a dead nipper. I think I'll keep it to mid week after what you've reported!

Bream and squid from September 14.jpg

bream September 14.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

I went out for a squid bash on Sunday arvo and was hammered by that same wind squall about 4pm. Still got a few inkers though. I also got the yak out into the Hacking for the first time yesterday and picked up a nice bream on a dead nipper. I think I'll keep it to mid week after what you've reported!

Nice bag of squid there.

The Hacking had a few people cruising about, some fishing, and most of the jet skis were going flat out in any depth of water. Scare the shit out of any fish.

The strongest wind gust at Kurnell was 26 knots, while we were out there. Not really strong, but when you are drifting in 100 feet of water, I must have had nearly double that line out with a pound snapper lead to hold bottom. Just a bit too hard to fish.

4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

Bream and squid from September 14.jpg

bream September 14.jpg

Nice work Jenno, what area did you pick up the squid??