Boat Fuel.

Jiggy

Hey Guys,

I've had a few health issues of late and my much loved boat has been sitting on the trailer for a bit over 18 months without being used. I've run the motor every couple of weeks but that's about it. Fingers crossed I'm going to get the OK to start using it again in the next couple of weeks. I've had it serviced and it's ready to go but I've just had a thought about the fuel.

When ever I run the motor it starts first time, runs clean and not smoky and seems fine. When the mechanic was servicing it he thought there were no issues with it when run, but of course I didn't mention how old the fuel is. Yes I'm stoopid! I've also only ever put premium unleaded in it.

Would you think it's safe to use or drain it and put in a fresh tank of fuel?

Cheers

Rob

Is it an under floor tank or a polymer removable tank & what is the capacity plus how much fuel was in it??

18 months is a long time to store fuel, especially without any fuel storage additives.

If your motor runs then I would say its ok but then I would also top it up with fresh fuel.

BUT confidence is everything, if I was heading 40km offshore with that fuel I dont think I would be very confident.

Definitely replace the fuel (unless its a massive underfloor tank, which will present its problems with disposal). You havent mentioned what motor, but if it happened to be premixed 2 stroke.....absolutely ditch it. As mentioned by others, if heading outside particularly, how much worth do you put on your motors reliability and crews safety?

1 hour ago, Jiggy said:

Hey Guys,

I've had a few health issues of late and my much loved boat has been sitting on the trailer for a bit over 18 months without being used. I've run the motor every couple of weeks but that's about it. Fingers crossed I'm going to get the OK to start using it again in the next couple of weeks. I've had it serviced and it's ready to go but I've just had a thought about the fuel.

When ever I run the motor it starts first time, runs clean and not smoky and seems fine. When the mechanic was servicing it he thought there were no issues with it when run, but of course I didn't mention how old the fuel is. Yes I'm stoopid! I've also only ever put premium unleaded in it.

Would you think it's safe to use or drain it and put in a fresh tank of fuel?

Cheers

Rob

Sorry to hear of your troubles Rob ... hope its behind you. 

Whether to reuse or dispose has been discussed before - I've added the link below to save me retyping what I would do and under what considerations :

Perhaps if @bookwa is around he can update which path he took and how it ended up for him. 

Cheers Zoran

Thanks guys; its in an 200 litre underfloor metal tank and there would be around 100 litres or so of premium unleaded. Think I'll reach out to the mechanic I use and see if he can deal with it.

Cheers

Rob

Just siphon as much out as you can into plastic fuel tanks (you should be able to borrow some) then fill with fresh fuel, that way the boat is up and running, then you have the option of getting rid of the fuel or getting it tested, as a general rule (very general) if it still smells like petrol, it's OK. The actual time for fuel to go off is so varied, it can last for ages or weeks, it depends of how it was stored.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just siphon as much out as you can into plastic fuel tanks (you should be able to borrow some) then fill with fresh fuel, that way the boat is up and running, then you have the option of getting rid of the fuel or getting it tested, as a general rule (very general) if it still smells like petrol, it's OK. The actual time for fuel to go off is so varied, it can last for ages or weeks, it depends of how it was stored.

seconded

I drained 60ltrs from my boat over a 3 week period and used it in my wife's car in 20ltr batches (20ltrs of 16mth old premium fuel added to 45ltrs of fresh premium)

It smell like fuel and didn't have any oil or contaminates and her car didn't mind, so I guess it was fine, just didn't want to risk it on the water, lots easier to call NRMA and walk home than have to swim ashore.

Thanks guys; I think I'll drain it out and get the family to use it. I can't as I have  diesel truck. Counting the days until I can get out out, get seasick and catch a stack of sargent bakers. Or nothing.

It'll be great!