Tips for selling my boat.

M1100S

Hi all

so any tips for selling my boat...i think the boat i am selling is a quality product ( 6 month old surtees 540 workmate hardtop ) but just want to know how to approach it.

i have listed on gumtree and facebook which is already getting muppets offering silly offer and am waiting for my boatsales add to come online and hopefully i get more serious enquiries.

With regards to photos what should i concentrate on pics wise? 

what about the price point....do you put it a little higher than what you like and leave room for the negotiation ?

would be good to see how people approach it as first boat i am selling. 

PS: anyone want to buy a nice boat for xmas , or if you know someone who is in for one send em my way. Case of beer or a nice scotch if yuor lead is good :)

PPS: selling to get a bigger boat .... i suffer from severe boat envy problems

Edited by M1100S
  • Like 1

Its hard to know what will work.   I prepared an add for ebay and almost as a joke I printed it with best photo and put it up on Woolies noticeboard and had buyer phone me on 1sþ night.  Also just sold my daughters car in 2 days on Facebooks Marketplace which is free.  Use plenty of photos.  Good luck. Ron 

Ive photographed lots of boats to sell, both my own and friends, getting good well done exposed sharp images really helps in any sale. 

My mate photographed his northbank on his phone ( the biggest model ) which he put on boatsales for three months without one person taking a look. He got talked into selling it through a Sydney broker who charged $1400 per month to have it in their Sydney yard ( including their advertising fees ) After another four months he brought the boat home after an argument with the broker who seemed to be doing very little in regards to selling the boat.

This time he took my free offer to photograph and help with cleaning up the boat after its Sydney jaunt. Things such as 303 aerospace protectant made all plastics look like new and a quick polish had the boat sparkling. 

We took the boat to a location where we could have good tidy ocean view in the backgrounds. The boat went back on boatsales where two people from Vic instantly wanting to view the boat on the first day. The first to see it bought it without even wanting a test run. The funny thing was that these people had seen it advertised over the past seven months and not taken any notice of it. Over the three days of being back on boatsales he had several other enquiries while the first guy sorted his payment.

Boatsales themselves have tips on selling your boat https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/7-tips-on-how-to-shoot-your-boat-to-sell-it-126229

• Like 2

When I advertise on gumtree, I put that low offers will be ignored, this is something I recommend you do yourself. Engaging with people who make silly offers can end up with you getting a heap of unnecessary abuse and constant messages from the particular person. If you don't respond they tend to go away.

Good luck.

14 minutes ago, JonD said:

Ive photographed lots of boats to sell, both my own and friends, getting good well done exposed sharp images really helps in any sale. 

My mate photographed his northbank on his phone ( the biggest model ) which he put on boatsales for three months without one person taking a look. He got talked into selling it through a Sydney broker who charged $1400 per month to have it in their Sydney yard ( including their advertising fees ) After another four months he brought the boat home after an argument with the broker who seemed to be doing very little in regards to selling the boat.

This time he took my free offer to photograph and help with cleaning up the boat after its Sydney jaunt. Things such as 303 aerospace protectant made all plastics look like new and a quick polish had the boat sparkling. 

We took the boat to a location where we could have good tidy ocean view in the backgrounds. The boat went back on boatsales where two people from Vic instantly wanting to view the boat on the first day. The first to see it bought it without even wanting a test run. The funny thing was that these people had seen it advertised over the past seven months and not taken any notice of it. Over the three days of being back on boatsales he had several other enquiries while the first guy sorted his payment.

Boatsales themselves have tips on selling your boat https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/7-tips-on-how-to-shoot-your-boat-to-sell-it-126229

Time to redo my photos haha, guess will be doing that on the weekend 

14 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

Have you approached the dealer you are looking at buying your new boat from. You might be surprised what they offer as they may have a buyer waiting.

yeah i did ....  and they were not very keen to be honest to do a trade. i asked a few times and always got the sam response of in current climate with the extended wait times for boat deliveries, being summer time u wont have a problem selling

Just had a quick look on gumtree at what I assume to be your boat and I would say yes more pic's especially of the whole boat and experiment with different angles. I also think your market might be small in that price range and style. 

2 hours ago, M1100S said:

i asked a few times and always got the sam response of in current climate with the extended wait times for boat deliveries

And if that is the case that will the key to getting what your asking for it.

I have seen stories where CV19 has actually reduced the depreciation loss on many 2nd hand things like cars, boats & lots of other gear due to lack of stock.

Not beating you up here but just facts, normally a car or boat would lose up to 20% of its value in the 1st year & another 10-15% the following.

So buyers would walk in with that in mind.

As mentioned if they are having problems with finding new stock then your in a great place to bargain & can see why you would try & stick to your guns on the advertised price.

I like the Surtees, I think they are very similar to the Crushers in a lot of ways.

If I had 60K spare & somewhere to park it I'd make you an offer myself :whistling:😄

Good luck with it :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately gumtree attracts a lot of scammers, muppets etc. If you can deal/ignore them you probably will get serious enquiries eventually, as its obviously a great package.

I agree with others that Facebook marketplace is awesome..Ive successfully sold heaps of stuff there including cars.good luck

Here is my tips

1. Well written, listing key features and any service record details plus hours and a brief description.

2. Lots of photos, Front back Sides, inside, from a distance ect so anyone looking can see all angles and get a feel for the boat.

3. Video of it running and pumping water is always good, even a drive past on the water.

4. Clear pricing and contact details

5. Tidy the boat up and make sure its clean and presented almost empty, take a separate photo of the life jackets ect. (Updated a Noels Post)

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1

Personally I ignore "just been serviced" "low hours" and all other selling "blurb", unless you have documented proof, then it is just meaningless words (in my opinion) you have a decent boat to sell, nothing to hide, if the price is right, it will sell. Photos help a lot with online adds, people are browsing and need true details, not sneaky "touched up" photos, make sure everything is tidy in the photos, the anchor rope dangling out and junk lying around, leaves and stuff on the floor looks bad in photos.

Thanks for all the tips.

another thing when it comes to the actual sale of the boat how do you do that.

do you write a document thats say i am selling the following boat ( with description or pic) for XXX dollars to whoever... with a paid daid deposit etc and get both me and buyer to sign ?

and would you go with them to the bank and get them to make a bank cheque or just use transfer online ?

24 minutes ago, M1100S said:

Thanks for all the tips.

another thing when it comes to the actual sale of the boat how do you do that.

do you write a document thats say i am selling the following boat ( with description or pic) for XXX dollars to whoever... with a paid daid deposit etc and get both me and buyer to sign ?

and would you go with them to the bank and get them to make a bank cheque or just use transfer online ?

Yes, if you make a deal make sure they leave a deposit before they walk away if they aren't giving you the full amount at that time, at least 5% if not 10% & then write them a deposit note with your details, the boat details, the sale price & the amount of deposit, the balance owing.

Then add the buyers details, address & even drivers/Boat licence.

I would also add all the extras that it's being sold with so there is no dispute & state being sold as is.

Both parties to sign & date

This to me is not a bill of sale just an deposit slip.

I normally due this on PC & print it out then save it & turn it into the bill of sale then the funds have cleared & the buyer is picking it up & accompanied by the signed rego papers.

I'm not sure if you pay stamp duty on a boat but presume you would so don't be surprised if the buyer asks you to put a lower sale amount on the regs papers so they don't have to pay as much in the transfer fee, that's up to you.

With cars I think it's $2 per $100 value or the 2% so it adds up.

I think bank cheque is fine or EFT, prefer EFT myself as it's either in your account or not, I prefer that to something that can be forged.

Edited by kingie chaser

make sure you write a seperate receipt for the trailer, I recently bought a boat from Melb, and didn't get a receipt for the trailer... the rms had a field day with me- countless calls and texts to the seller finally got me what I was after. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shakey55 said:

Makes you wonder why its different for a car over a boat??

I just checked & it's now 3% stamp duty on cars in NSW.

$33 for a boat transfer no matter the value, what a bargain!!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Joh D

you are right about the pictures.... its amazing what  backdrop will do for your car or boat..

first pic was one i originally used then took boat to near water and second pics i think looks better :)

surtees 540.jpg

a20201104_103902.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Deposit was paid yestefday for the boat and the new owner said will pick it up next sat after they transfer the money mid week.

Now the long long longggg wait till next april for new boat to arrive. 

• Like 2