Landing fish at wharves

Gengar

I was fishing last week at my local wharf and managed to hook onto a kingfish (abt 70cm). I managed to bring it to top of the water right beside the wharf but as there was no one else around to help with the net I tried to lead it to the steps at the wharf so that I can drag it in. However as I was bring it around it swam hard around a pylon and the line snapped.

In hindsight I was thinking about whether I should have just lifted it out of the water and land it. I would have probably needed to lift it a couple of metres. I was fishing 25lb main line and 30lb flouro leader. Should I have just lifted it out of the water rather than trying to lead it to the wharf steps? Would my lines be heavy enough or should i up to 50lb leader? Alternatively any advice on avoiding the fish wrapping around the pylons as I bring it in? Thanks all!

11 hours ago, little fisho said:

my advice would be to only lift any big fish from wharves if you are confident that the line will not break under its weight, and that the fish is hooked well enough so it will not throw the hook. a longer rod may help you steer the fish clear away from the pylons easier

Hard to say as I wont be able to see how its hooked but curious on whether the line will break. I am using 30lb flouro as leader and 25lb braid. I don't think the fish would be more than 3kg but it is thrashing around and so i would think 25lb should be enough or is there something I am missing?

38 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Hard to say as I wont be able to see how its hooked but curious on whether the line will break. I am using 30lb flouro as leader and 25lb braid. I don't think the fish would be more than 3kg but it is thrashing around and so i would think 25lb should be enough or is there something I am missing?

a fish thrashing around will spit the hook unless he is hooked well or he is too tired to fight on the way up. unless your line is frayed from pylons or rocks it will be more than enough to lift the fish. for me it is quite rare that the line breaks while lifting, rather that the fish spits the hook. grabbing the leader will be much easier than the braid mainline while lifting

2 hours ago, little fisho said:

a fish thrashing around will spit the hook unless he is hooked well or he is too tired to fight on the way up. unless your line is frayed from pylons or rocks it will be more than enough to lift the fish. for me it is quite rare that the line breaks while lifting, rather that the fish spits the hook. grabbing the leader will be much easier than the braid mainline while lifting

Ah i see......guess I will try next time to see if it work. Thanks!

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Spent way to many years spinning the rocks -mainly with 20 and 25lb mono-a 70 cm king wasnt something you faffed around with-just pole it. No need for a net or gaff.

Pole it with like a spear?!?! I have seen gaffs though never tried it.

20 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

nope pole it-use the fishes momentum and just lift it out of the water using the rod-dont be tentative use some muscle

Got it. Thought you meant spearing it! LOL

Lifting it out of the water is probably what i do next time esp if there is no one else around to help. Thanks for all the advice!

What rod were you using (length and weight rating)? I'd also consider how much load it could take before snapping as there would be some near-high sticking if it's 2m below you before you can have a grab at leader.

I’d be concerned about just poling it in with a modern graphite rod. Maybe OK with a sturdy fibreglass stick. Just my opinion. I’d recommend using a long net or gaff and learning how to use it solo. I fish solo all the time, so consider it part of the challenge!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, anthman said:

What rod were you using (length and weight rating)? I'd also consider how much load it could take before snapping as there would be some near-high sticking if it's 2m below you before you can have a grab at leader.

Mine is a 2m fiberglass rod with is 6-8kg line weight. Hope that be enough!

Forgot to ask, is it better to rip it up as you are reeling it in or should i bring it to the side of the wharf first and then slowly lifting it up?

23 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I’d be concerned about just poling it in with a modern graphite rod. Maybe OK with a sturdy fibreglass stick. Just my opinion. I’d recommend using a long net or gaff and learning how to use it solo. I fish solo all the time, so consider it part of the challenge!

Mate any advice on using the net while holding to the rod? Thanks!

Use the momentum to perform the lift. Allow fish to run around if you have to just to get the momentum going. Dead lifts is where you'll have the potential to snap the rod.

Ideally you would want to bring it up where the distance required would be at the very minimum possible.

3 hours ago, Gengar said:

Mate any advice on using the net while holding to the rod? Thanks!

Rod in one hand, net in the other! 😂 

Basically, you need to ensure the fish is tired out (not green), then you have to guide the fish into a position where you can lift the net up under it, or at least to guide the head in. If the fish is still too green, you risk it making a run or diving and you’re unable to quickly release line. However, If using a baitcaster/overhead, a firm thumb grip on the spool can be easily released if necessary. It’s always good to have a good net or gaff man handy but sometimes that isn’t possible. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Use the momentum to perform the lift. Allow fish to run around if you have to just to get the momentum going. Dead lifts is where you'll have the potential to snap the rod.

Ideally you would want to bring it up where the distance required would be at the very minimum possible.

Got it. I have seen a few youtube videos where they do that as well so will try that next time! Cheers mate.

15 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Rod in one hand, net in the other! 😂 

Basically, you need to ensure the fish is tired out (not green), then you have to guide the fish into a position where you can lift the net up under it, or at least to guide the head in. If the fish is still too green, you risk it making a run or diving and you’re unable to quickly release line. However, If using a baitcaster/overhead, a firm thumb grip on the spool can be easily released if necessary. It’s always good to have a good net or gaff man handy but sometimes that isn’t possible. 🤷‍♂️

haha i am sure its harder than it sounds! Lets see how it goes next time!