Umina beach

Rock hopper

After weeks of fishing with hard body lures for not much at all i decided to go back to basics. 

Late start. Fished from 11 to 1pm. Landed 4 good fish. All caught on fresh pipis.

Nice going back to bait and breaking the long spell between bringing home some fresh fish. 

Caught two very good whiting. Both kept.

Also caught two bream. Kept one and released the other. 

I don't like keeping big bream and the one released was 40cm. So he earned his freedom. Fat fish. 

Great fun on light gear.

I recently purchased a diawa td black "mundi mauler" 7ft one piece flick stick. Matched with my original 2500 Fi symetre.

Spooled with 16lb siglon braid.

This combo is a dream and can really put a lot of pressure on fish.   

Running 8 lb leader today. This is very smooth combo. Casts a mile and worked a treat.

Looking forward to fresh fish over coals tomorrow. 

Cheers 

20201120_142632.jpg

• Like 13

A Rockhopper fishing on a beach, with lures then with bait.

That's what I call versatility !

Beautiful fish you got there - I'll take quality over quantity any day.

I wonder why the fish would not go for a lure and did go for the bait?

Can you get a lure that looks like an injured pipi? Lol you can tell I ain't a lure fisho.

I'm not patient enough to go beyond the basics of bait - seems twitching a rod every 2 seconds, cast after cast is too much like hard work. I would get RSI of the shoulder before I caught a fish.

Fresh fish over coals - now that's what I'm talking about. I just had breakfast and I'm hungry already!

On 11/22/2020 at 11:07 AM, Keflapod said:

A Rockhopper fishing on a beach, with lures then with bait.

That's what I call versatility !

Beautiful fish you got there - I'll take quality over quantity any day.

I wonder why the fish would not go for a lure and did go for the bait?

Can you get a lure that looks like an injured pipi? Lol you can tell I ain't a lure fisho.

I'm not patient enough to go beyond the basics of bait - seems twitching a rod every 2 seconds, cast after cast is too much like hard work. I would get RSI of the shoulder before I caught a fish.

Fresh fish over coals - now that's what I'm talking about. I just had breakfast and I'm hungry already!

Hey Keflapod,

Got to be versatile hey, 😊

I'll take them as I can get them.

When in doubt I go back to basics or i go hungry hehehe 
If I am not getting a hit on a lure....out comes the bait or I gather it. 

I have been fishing large hardbodies hoping for a bigger fish. You are right lots of work.

My patience is lacking 

And I'm new to coals so it is a great new taste. Cant get enough.

Cheers

On 11/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, motiondave said:

Nice job. Bait is good sometimes, especially if you feel lazy, toss a lump of food out and sit back and relax.

Umina a great area beach to fish as well as swim. My beach spot for summer. Worth the 90 mins each way. 

Cheers motiondave,

I'm lucky I live close to the beach.

Umina beach is a great place all year round.

Nice to sit back and wait for a fish or 2 with a cold beer 🍺

On 11/24/2020 at 4:39 PM, Rock hopper said:

Cheers motiondave,

I'm lucky I live close to the beach.

Umina beach is a great place all year round.

Nice to sit back and wait for a fish or 2 with a cold beer 🍺

Mate, i am actually heading over to the NRMA park at Umina Beach next week with my two boys and so trying to do research before I get there. I was thinking of just bring a couple 7 foot rod, put some dead bait and sit them in rod holders. I was thinking of using pillies (perhaps ganged?) as thats what i use for Sydney harbour but any bait in particular you recommend? Also I presume you would still need to find a gutter? Do you know what kind of fish are usually caught there? Thanks heaps!

Also never caught pipis but can you catch them on Umina Beach?

Edited by Gengar
Edit

2 hours ago, Gengar said:

Mate, i am actually heading over to the NRMA park at Umina Beach next week with my two boys and so trying to do research before I get there. I was thinking of just bring a couple 7 foot rod, put some dead bait and sit them in rod holders. I was thinking of using pillies (perhaps ganged?) as thats what i use for Sydney harbour but any bait in particular you recommend? Also I presume you would still need to find a gutter? Do you know what kind of fish are usually caught there? Thanks heaps!

Also never caught pipis but can you catch them on Umina Beach?

I used to take my kids there when they were younger. Throw out some plastics and retrieve them over the flats and you'll get flatties. Or get hold of some live worms at Woy Woy bait shop for some whiting.

11 minutes ago, beachwormer said:

I used to take my kids there when they were younger. Throw out some plastics and retrieve them over the flats and you'll get flatties. Or get hold of some live worms at Woy Woy bait shop for some whiting.

Do you mean the flats at the beach or elsewhere?

Actually I might try my hand at beach worming at Umina Beach assuming ofcos there are beach worms there......but otherwise am interested in trying to find some pipi

22 hours ago, Gengar said:

Do you mean the flats at the beach or elsewhere?

Actually I might try my hand at beach worming at Umina Beach assuming ofcos there are beach worms there......but otherwise am interested in trying to find some pipi

Not many beachworms if at all on Umina as it's not really an ocean beach - if you wanna try, drive around to McMasters or Copacabana.

Yes the flats right in front of the caravan park you'll get flatties on the retrieve with worm or fish plastics.

1 hour ago, beachwormer said:

Not many beachworms if at all on Umina as it's not really an ocean beach - if you wanna try, drive around to McMasters or Copacabana.

Yes the flats right in front of the caravan park you'll get flatties on the retrieve with worm or fish plastics.

Got it. Thanks for the tip! I havent used worm or fish plastics before but i do have them in my tackle box! Guess a good time to try!

I probably wont be driving around as we have a large motorhome. Would you know if pipis can be found at Umina beach? Never caught pipi before but is it a matter of going a mid tide and twisting your feet in the sand? Seems too easy!

Lakelad,

The 2500 is a treat to use as the reel is the original shimano model so a lot heavier but sits well and is actually quite balanced.

I have used it with 3 reels on it.

2500 and 4000 Symetre 

best suited in my opinion with a 3000 daiwa.

I just use the 2500 for my bait fishing lately. One rod, back pack and rod holder. nice and simple.

This is the old stock I believe. They have just upgraded so stores were getting rid of them for 100 bucks.
I have thrown heavy metals and poppers up to 80 grams with ease and down to 10 gram lures and soft plastics and I cannot fault it. With heavy stuff I would have liked a longer butt, other than that I think it is a very good rod.

Great to use and they look amazing.

👍

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest123456789
On 12/2/2020 at 1:51 PM, beachwormer said:

Hi Gengar, no you won't find pipis on Umina Beach, once again more on the larger ocean beaches.

Hogwash. I was there swimming with my kids only last week in front Umina surf club near the flags. Heaps about. Peak season is October - back in the 80’s my Dad, brother and I would literally fill a bucket and BBQ them up. They aren’t anywhere near those sorts of numbers now but they are still there.

@Gengar remember you can’t take any except to be used immediately as bait. Do return any unused Pippi’s so that your future grandkids can catch them too. Low tide to mid tide - high tide can be tough.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Hogwash. I was there swimming with my kids only last week in front Umina surf club near the flags. Heaps about. Peak season is October - back in the 80’s my Dad, brother and I would literally fill a bucket and BBQ them up. They aren’t anywhere near those sorts of numbers now but they are still there.

@Gengar remember you can’t take any except to be used immediately as bait. Do return any unused Pippi’s so that your future grandkids can catch them too. Low tide to mid tide - high tide can be tough.

Yes i found them on umina beach but can't agree more that you should only take as much as you need for bait. They aren't too hard to find even for a novice like me but you do have to work for them. We probably got 10 and would then search for more when we were down to our last two or three. They last a while on hook. The shame we didnt get much fish but hey thats fishing! The kids had a blast as always!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

I ate a lot of pipis growing up but have seen signs at beaches warning about eating them and potential poisoning and death ha.

Any idea what that is about?

Guest Guest123456789
13 hours ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

I ate a lot of pipis growing up but have seen signs at beaches warning about eating them and potential poisoning and death ha.

Any idea what that is about?

You’ve answered your own question

The reason (as i understand it) is that they can collect toxins from algae blooms which can cause serious illness. Something like that. I do not want to risk it. Also back in the day they were over harvested to an extreme.  Best to follow guidelines I think. 

In saying that I have seen many ethnic families carrying out plastic bags full.

I have warned them in the past to no avail or I end up getting told off 😒

On 2/3/2021 at 9:55 AM, flatheadluke said:

Thanks for the correction. What do I know, LOL?  Maybe there are a heap of beachworms there too, I just never tried as it didn't seem likely.

My Photo is a 23.5 kg Jew taken off Umina beach in front if the caravan park on a bloodworm from the local tackle shop. 7' rod 4 kg line. I went down for a Bream for Breakfast !!    Howard.

If you dig in the wet sand there used to be a white worm about 3'' long that was excellent for bait !!  

Edited by bluefin
Spelling
  • Like 1