Wilson Live Fibre

Wiskas

Hi all

I've been after a Wilson Live Fibre Champion Trophy 12 foot Low mount 2 piece for a while now. I've had no luck online but there is a medium mount, model number 37/2, that is the specification I'm after. 

asking the experts. Can this be changed to a low mount if I purchase this one?

Cheers

Wiskas

I have a two piece 4144 (very light rod, soft action) but it also has a mid/high mount, cutting the butt off should be simple enough to make it a low mount, and will kind of make the length right, you can have it if you like, I haven't used it in decades, the reel seat is quite big diameter because the butt section is big diameter, as they were back then. I used to use it for Bream around the rocks, using peeled Prawn or Pilchard with no sinker.

Edited by noelm

Just to add, changing the mount is relatively easy, it's just a matter of cutting the butt down, and either fitting a cap or a wooden spike, depending on your intended use, as mentioned, when using an Alvey, the first guide might need replacing too, not essential, but it works better.

I had a look at the Wilson catalogue and there is no mention of a low mount rod in the live fibre series so you could be flogging a dead horse there .

Cutting the butt off will change the characteristics of the rod but not as much as cutting the tip down - you will lose a little bit of butt  power as you are moving your grip towards the tip and you won’t end up with  a 12ft rod - more like 11ft something .The tip section will be longer than the butt section which will make the rod tip more vulnerable to breakage as it won’t have the heavier butt section to protect it when the rod is in two pieces .

At around 250 bucks it is an expensive way to get a rod for an alvey !
The stripper guide will more than likely  be in the wrong spot , maybe too small and could allow the line to flog against the blank during casting - killing your casting distance. This was one of the crucial checks i made when i used to build my own rods ( long time ago )- find the spine , set up the butt section according to reel type then tape on some guides and head for the local footy field for some casting tests .Once the optimal stripper guide placement was established i could then work out the guide spacing for the rest .

Is there a particular reason for wanting the live fibre ? 
I own a few Wilson rods - all low mount :

MT8144- has fuji guides and seat and i use this for jewies .

MT6144- has cheap guides and needs a new stripper guide and is now retired as i bought an Alvey rock and beach 62 to replace it ( spend $40 to buy the stuff to replace one cheap guide on a rod that cost $100 or spend $150 and get a new rod with fuji guides - new one it was !) . The Alvey is a slightly heavier blank in the butt section but similar in the tip section ,  i would have been happier if it had a fuji seat on it but you can’t win them all  !

I loved my 2 piece MT6144  Wilson( probably a close second to my snyder mag bream i built years ago )  but i just didn’t see the value in spending half the price of the rod on one guide, binding thread , filler and epoxy finish   . If i still had my rod building gear i would have only had to buy a guide ( probably would have had one in stock already ) ,bind it on and finish it .

For now it just sits in a rod rack collecting dust .

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks very much for all your replies. 

I already have a 10’6 Live Fibre low mount which is just so light to use for hours but can only be used on the beach in pretty calm conditions as it has a low cast weight.

I have been using my Gary Howard Surf Special recently but prefer the feel of the Live Fibre and thought the 12 foot version would let me throw a heavier sinker when conditions require. 

I don’t need anything over 12 foot for off the beach for what I’m chasing, whiting, flathead etc. 

Wiskas

What if you bought the 13 foot model and cut 12 inches off the butt?

Although Wilson says the 13 footer has a heavier action, cutting the butt down will create a slower taper and soften the blank.

I wouldn't be surprised if both the 12 and 13 foot models are made on the same mandrel. 

• Like 2

Very lucky indeed!

Would love to hear what you think of it after a few trips !

Maybe a few pics of it so anyone who reads this later on will know what one looks like !

Edited by XD351

The Wilson Live fibre rods are in a league of their own.  You cant compare them to the older style MT7144.  I have had 7 and 8 - 144 and I now have 4 medium mount live fibres. 2x 10'6" and 2 13'6"  Even though they advertise 13' they are marked 13'6" !! 

I cringed at the thought of cutting one down !!!!!!  They are so light in weight !!! Perfect rods !!!!!!  Howard. 

Edited by bluefin