slimes everywhere in port hacking. cant escape.

Restyle

took this week off work, for nothing but fishing, but the weather had different plans but managed to get out 3 times. I wanted to target kingies in the hacking at various spots, including lilli pilli deep & jibbon head only pulling up just under legal rats on fish & squid strips.

Each trip I have done this week ive had massive schools of slimes come along and munch on my berley trail of pillies & bread. good fun on the light gear, plenty of areal action, they came along just after sunrise and stick around for hours. pulling up over 50 of them a day, but only keeping 35 of them total for salted bait. lost so many, I lost count. I go deep - slimy, surface slimy... just cant escape them.

Unweighted pilchard cube on a 1/0 long shank hook been providing the best hook-ups for me, while my mate been doing good on a 3/0 suicide hook.

Other than the endless slimys there's kingies about, all just under legal, but fun on lighter gear. Mate got smoked by a decent model off jibbon. Got a legal flounder at lilli pilli, which i threw back. didnt want it and quite a few just legal reddies around, mixed in with kings as they are down deep at the moment.

Was hoping to get out to Molineaux point this weekend but the south easterly's may can that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

and the problem is?

Well, although a hungry, large kingie could gulp it all, i just didn't have a downrigger, or enough lead to get it down abit deeper and having some form of control of the fish, having it unweighted would've meant it would ether tangle around my anchor or my other lines.

Other than then i thought it would be far to big to throw out live, Especially in lilli pilli, on a kayak.

58 minutes ago, BDbrooker said:

Really wanted to get out into the Hacking this week but the kids brought home the flu from daycare. Hopefully next week but the weather is not looking great. Did you get any squid?

i got all my squid in previous trips so i got more than enough ready to go. I did try catching a live squid off jibbon, but it was slow, and lost 2 squid, 1 to a tailor.