Keep losing baits

Idan

Hi All,

New to fishing here, I recently moved to Sydney from Auckland. Here I went to the store and got size 2 hooks, running sinkers, frozen prawn and pilchards. I cut the pilchards to 3 and was also taught how to half hitch the bait.

To my surprise, even with every parameter changed, the same thing that used to happen before happens here as well: I cast, I make sure the line is taught, nothing happens, I check it 5 minutes later and the bait is gone. Not even entirely sure what happens to the bait.

Meanwhile the guy next to me keeps reeling in fish left and right! I asked him for advice, but he didn't know what I was doing wrong. He also used frozen bait.

I also tried cotton before and it didn't help.

Lost and frustrated, though it must have happened to others before I couldn't find too much information on it... tips will be much appreciated.

Idan

2 hours ago, Idan said:

Hi All,

New to fishing here, I recently moved to Sydney from Auckland. Here I went to the store and got size 2 hooks, running sinkers, frozen prawn and pilchards. I cut the pilchards to 3 and was also taught how to half hitch the bait.

To my surprise, even with every parameter changed, the same thing that used to happen before happens here as well: I cast, I make sure the line is taught, nothing happens, I check it 5 minutes later and the bait is gone. Not even entirely sure what happens to the bait.

Meanwhile the guy next to me keeps reeling in fish left and right! I asked him for advice, but he didn't know what I was doing wrong. He also used frozen bait.

Lost and frustrated, though it must have happened to others before I couldn't find too much information on it... tips will be much appreciated.

Idan

What sort of rig are you using & what are you trying to catch?

Sometimes letting the fish take the bait without any tension on the line by opening the bail arm & just feathering out the line can increase the strike rate.

Obviously when you feel the fish has had enough time to run a bit & swallow the bait the close the bail arm & strike.

Totally depends on what your targeting of course but it often works for me if I'm not hooking up.

Edited by kingie chaser

15 hours ago, Idan said:

Hi All,

Idan

I'm far from an expert but i cut pilchard in half diagonally and pin the hook once in the tail section with 2 half hitches or twice through the eye on the head section pining the hook in it once too.Or cube them into roughly 1cm cubes pined once under the spine.

Casting too hard,crabs,weed,loose line,strong currents,etc can all strip soft baits like pilly's.

Salt or brine your pilly's to toughen them up a bit helps.

Now if you want to know how to feed all your bait to the fish and go home empty handed I'm an expert.😂😂😂

Good luck out there mate.

Agree with the others - crabs are a likely culprit. Sand/paddle crabs and blue swimmers.

if you get the situation where there is something on your line, you start winding but after about six turns it falls off then that is most likely crabs. They aren’t real smart so it takes them a couple of meters of being dragged through the water to figure out that something is not right and let go of the bait.

I have a video here showing crabs feeding on bait underwater. It’s worth watching to see how crabs behave with baits - and especially how strong and aggressive they can be and how quickly they can strip baits. Very easy to misinterpret as fish on the line.

https://youtu.be/pMyDXSIpahU

• Like 1

Another thing you can try is "bait elastic" - it's a stretchy line that you wind over your bait whilst rigged - keeps the bait on the hook longer.

I use this for long distance yabbie casting 😆.

Edited by anthman