Bream galore in the harbour, but not many kings

Pickles

Went out again on Wednesday, backing up from Tuesday, but seas were bigger than Tuesday, wind was stronger and rain heavier - tried to get out around North Head, but horrible conditions (at least B.O.M. Got weather report right), so found a few spots protected from the southerly.

Squid and Yakkas were easy - jumped on the hook, but Kingies were hiding somewhere, tried about 15 spots for only a few hookups but landed them. There were however, heaps and heaps of bream all in the 35-45 cm mark, taking anything thrown at them - strips of Yakkas, strips of squid and prawns. Because we were targeting Kingies (as always) and I don’t like bream, they were all catch and release.

For those interested in a feed of bream - 1/2 hour before the tide change, light line (8lb) with as small a sinker that will get bait down, no2  circle (I like mustard demon hooks). Around any of the drains that empty into the harbour are top spots and there are many of these. Flick into the water running out and hold on. I reckon you could even catch them on cigarette butts ( or a fly tied to look like one) with the number that flow out of the drains 🚭😞.

I was out with my nephew and his son, who I took out the same day last year and he landed a 95. This year he again landed a nice one, going 82. We had sashimi and grilled kingfish for tea, with lots left over for tomorrow.

AB7D8FF6-2F43-47AB-9E59-726FF794C755.jpeg

43C06D86-8C4A-440D-BB13-E97B56F111FF.jpeg

• Like 13