WARNING - Do not buy this line

GordoRetired

Today I was sorting through my stock of line and decided to re-spool a reel with this line, 20ln braid. that had been in my stock pile for a couple of years after spooling a smaller reel. I knew that I had around 150yds left so thought it would be ideal for a top-shot on my Shimano 6500. Half way though the re-spooling I noticed a knot in the line so stopped winding and puled off enough line to see what it was. The line had been joined with a weak knot, looked like a figure 8 knot, which when I pulled on it snapped at about 2 or 3 lb of pressure. This was sold to me as brand new line by a shop and the last thing I would expect to find on a spool of line is a join of any description.
I have re-tied the knot with a proper line to line knot so I am sure that it will be OK to use but I'll never buy this brand again.

No description available.

8 minutes ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

Rovex is owned by Jarvis Walker, once a good brand but these days more interested in making the cheapest gear possible to stock the shelves at Big W and likewise stores.

Rovex is supposed to be their premium brand but hey, perhaps not.

The actual line seems OK, I was just amazed to find that it was not a single piece and had been badly joined. If they had used a decent line to lie knot it would not have been quite so bad but if I had not noticed as I spooled the reel and then got onto a decent fish the knot would have just given way and fish would be gone.

Guest Guest123456789

There are some things you can go cheap on - rods, reels, swivels, sinkers  and lures.

You spend the savings on quality braid, mono and hooks.

I have seen it before in mono, I think they make a few kilometres of it and start spooling it onto retail spools, when it gets near the end, they just join the next lot on, so every (say) 200 retail spools might have a join, if its right at the end of the big bulk spool, they might strip the last bit off and start the new one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

There are some things you can go cheap on - rods, reels, swivels, sinkers  and lures.

You spend the savings on quality braid, mono and hooks.

Agree with almost all of that list except reels, think that a good reel with a decent drag system is important. 🙂

32 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

The actual line seems OK, I was just amazed to find that it was not a single piece and had been badly joined. If they had used a decent line to lie knot it would not have been quite so bad but if I had not noticed as I spooled the reel and then got onto a decent fish the knot would have just given way and fish would be gone.

I'd complain about it to them and see what they say.

info@jarviswalker.com.au

There is no valid excuse for a spool of line having a join in it.

13 minutes ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

I'd complain about it to them and see what they say.

info@jarviswalker.com.au

There is no valid excuse for a spool of line having a join in it.

Good idea, might score some replacement line. 🙂 

I have emailed them and will update this thread with the outcome.

Edited by GordoRetired

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, GordoRetired said:

Agree with almost all of that list except reels, think that a good reel with a decent drag system is important. 🙂

Fair point - not sure I’d want to fight a big offshore fish on a no name egg beater. At the same time you don’t need a $1000 mag sealed, diamond encrusted Shimano to catch whiting on the flats.

50 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Fair point - not sure I’d want to fight a big offshore fish on a no name egg beater. At the same time you don’t need a $1000 mag sealed, diamond encrusted Shimano to catch whiting on the flats.

And then you have Yowie that out fishes most of us with handlines. Hope your knee gets better mate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

At the same time you don’t need a $1000 mag sealed, diamond encrusted Shimano to catch whiting on the flats.

I doubt. I have seen 3  people targetting Yakkas on bread with Stellas near Pier 8.

• Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789
3 hours ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

Rovex is owned by Jarvis Walker, once a good brand but these days more interested in making the cheapest gear possible to stock the shelves at Big W and likewise stores.

Rovex is supposed to be their premium brand but hey, perhaps not.

Some of that cheap Jarvis Walker gear is really good but as you say some of its really bad. Reminds me of the local Indian takeaway, one weekend you get a curry fit for a raj and the next you’re curled up round the dunny streaming out both ends.

2 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Some of that cheap Jarvis Walker gear is really good but as you say some of its really bad. Reminds me of the local Indian takeaway, one weekend you get a curry fit for a raj and the next you’re curled up round the dunny streaming out both ends.

You mean sinkers?

Guest Guest123456789
Just now, savit said:

You mean sinkers?

Lead is lead and they are not much cheaper.

The Jarvis walker ‘whiz kidz’ $15 rod and reel combos are awesome! My daughter has a pink one where the reel has lights that flash when you crank the handle - great squid rod. I put a $60 daiwa reel on a white whiz kidz rod with high end x8 braid - great flathead lure rod.

People buy for the brand names with the big reels, rods. 

I do buy some cheaper rods from Big W for general fishing, pay a bit more for reels, and go for good quality mono.

Platypus top quality mono (platypus 100) lost me a good fish last month. I blamed the fish for running under my mate's boat, but when I checked the line later, it appeared to have a fray mark right up to the spool, half the line had not been off the reel at all. No dings in the rod runners, or the reel bail arm. Not happy, won't use it again.

I use Sufix brand mono mainly for rod and reel, Schneider mono for handlines, have so for many years.

8 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Lead is lead and they are not much cheaper.

The Jarvis walker ‘whiz kidz’ $15 rod and reel combos are awesome! My daughter has a pink one where the reel has lights that flash when you crank the handle - great squid rod. I put a $60 daiwa reel on a white whiz kidz rod with high end x8 braid - great flathead lure rod.

Kmart lead was (is?) much cheaper, same ballistic characteristics.

I have some JW products too incl reels and rods.  My main dissapointment is in JW lines - I have 4 or 5 mostly useless  larger spools.  My JW 40lb Premium mono line breaks at 10lb. 

JW is a big company, a lot of local distribution of top fishing brands,  a lot of export, a lot of fishing history. They can do much better!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

That’s because it was last weekend’s curry 🙄

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

That’s because it was last weekend’s curry 🙄

I love how some of the post get so way off topic, How did a topic on bad fishing line end up in a discussion on last weeks curry. 🤣🙂🤣🤣😂
Love it.
Talking of which, Belrose Bowling Club had their curry night this evening, the wife and I went for a Massaman beef curry. It was lovely. 🙂 

Edited by GordoRetired
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

I love how some of the post get so way off topic, How did a topic on bad fishing line end up in a discussion on last weeks curry. 🤣🙂🤣🤣😂
Love it.
Talking of which, Belrose Bowling Club had their curry night this evening, the wife and I went for a Massaman beef curry. It was lovely. 🙂 

Well if you want to get picky about thread content being off topic when the subject was referring to Indian curry, how did it then turn into a discussion about curries of different countries of origin because massaman is from Thailand 😳:whistling:😜........😅

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

I do buy some cheaper rods from Big W for general fishing, pay a bit more for reels, and go for good quality mono.

Ok ok getting back on topic. I landed my first marlin (70kg stripey) on a Penn 601215 12-15kg boat rod bought at a Kmart clearance for $59 (and a Penn 330GTi bought in Walmart). I hunted down another 3 of those rods 🧐quick smart  

cheers Zoran 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Ok ok getting back on topic. I landed my first marlin (70kg stripey) on a Penn 601215 12-15kg boat rod bought at a Kmart clearance for $59 (and a Penn 330GTi bought in Walmart). I hunted down another 3 of those rods 🧐quick smart  

cheers Zoran 

Great buy at that price, certainly punching well above the price tag!

Its good to know that combo can pull in an animal of that size.

I liked your trolling rods, maybe thats because they are very close to my own(& only) trolling set up.

Mine is a Penn Steel tip 10-15kg OH, will have to check the model, also paired with a Penn 330GTi, both are from when they were made in the USA which I like, I also like the fact that the reel has the worm drive, I think all those reels should have the same thing, the only down side imo is its not a bit reel so doesnt hold a lot of line.

I think I paid about $400 for the outfit all those years ago 🤔

I also have dads old trolling reel which is in prestine condition, its a Daiwa Sea line 400, bigger reel, bigger line capacity, dont think I will ever use it though, its a bit of a collectors piece for me.

Its just like this one I found on the net, just in better condition.

405943166_sealine400.thumb.jpg.a8329c1307865ee758be7881e26a92fe.jpg

On braids or lines in general I think just buy the best quality you can afford, I have bought braid from Aldi before & cant complain about it, is saying that I guess you get what you pay for in the long run.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2