South West Rocks Vs Port Stephens

James

hey fellas planning a camping trip, and was just wondering if i could get a some opinions on the better choice of location. the boats going up and the week will be dedicated to fishing, so base your answers purely on fishing location. thanks

port stephens vs south west rocks

Guest bluecod

James,

Both places get very crowded for camping opportunities this time of year. It also depends on your boat and what type of fishing you're doing. SWR has a pretty nasty bar and there's no guarantee you will be able to get outside in the week you're there whilst Pt Stephens doesn't have the same problem. Both places have pretty good estuary fishing, but for outside SWR would be my pick.

As Pirate Pete says in the next post - study the bar - also watch your lead lines - the bar can get pretty peaky and NEVER try and get out of the river on a falling tide [it can even be fairly tricky getting back in on a falling tide as the pressure waves might hold you out long enough for the wave behind to catch you unawares - have someone watching behind as you come in as you may need to shoot the wave you're sitting on - not adviseable unless its the ONLY alternative]

Edited by bluecod

I spent a week at SWR in July this year and as stated you have to pick the right day to cross the bar, spend plenty of time studying it and ask the locals as to the line they take. Once outside you can expect Kingies at Fish Rock and Green Island down to the south and Snapper and other reef species up at Grassy about 9klm to the north we bagged out on Pearl Pearch 2 out of the 7 days we were there. At the moment the Dolphin fish are on at the FAD. One day we were having such a great time that by the time we got back to the ramp we had done 97klms. I think there were 3 camping areas there we were lucky and stayed in a mates relatives house. I cant offer any comment on Pt Stephens at this stage but I am heading up there early in the new year as a lead up to the trailerboat tournament in April.

Pete

Guest johblow

Why not try Hat Head? You can put in there on all but low tide, and you've got access to fish rock and black rock too, plus nippers and pipies and its a bloody nice spot. Shame the creek is stuffed due to the local pro.

In my experience, the only consideration is the amount of water in the creek (as a result of the tide) for getting in and out. The inlet is well sheltered by the headland so you only tend to get a small swell at the mouth of korogoro creek. There isnt a bar as such i guess you could say? Put it this way, where the mouth of the creek meets the ocean is where most people swim. So you are more likely to clock a swimmer on the head than encounter a savage bar. Im sure others have more to say about HH.

I'd love to hear about bar crossings in detail - some of the terms you guys use. An post on bar crossings might be cool!

Guest bluecod

I'd love to hear about bar crossings in detail - some of the terms you guys use. An post on bar crossings might be cool!

Johblow,

I'm no expert at barcrossings at all mate - I've only been over the bar at SWR about 20 times as a passenger and only now would have the confidence to tackle it in my own boat [and I've had boats for over 30 years] BTW the SWR bar is arguably one of the worst bars in NSW and is not to be taken lightly.

I'll try and explain the terms I used as they may not even be correct terminology but in my above post I thought I would pass on what I've picked up.

Lead lines - obtained by lining up the shore based markers. In this case a timber "V" shaped panel mounted on a pole with an inverted "V" shaped panel also mounted on a pole. They are meant to indicate where the main channel is - but keep in mind the channel can move around a bit.

Peaky - The incoming waves on the bar may not necessarily have a uniform height - some part of the wave will "peak" in height above the rest of the wave and you can expect the highest part to break first - this can make avoiding the break easier if the waves consistently break in the same spot - at SWR they don't as the peaks of the waves can occur anywhere and sometimes you can avoid one peak only to find you are now right in front of the next peak.

Pressure waves - created by a falling tide racing out over shallow water - these waves do not move and you can be sitting on the back of one thinking it is actually an incoming wave whilst a true wave will come up from behind you [and is one reason why you should always come in on the back of the last wave of the set]

Set - waves usually break in a pattern [for example five small waves and then three large ones - the group of larger waves are referred to as the "set" [talk to any surfer]

Shoot the wave - instead of sitting on the back of a wave and moving ahead at the same speed as the wave you have to accelerate and overtake the wave. at some point your boat will move down the face of the wave and as the bow of the boat digs into the water in front of the wave it can cause the boat to broach - best to trim the bow up and accelerate as you come down the face of the wave.

Hope that clarifies a few things for you

Very good information there Bluecod , Always remember your life jackets at any bar crossing as it is mandatory these days and have respect for your capabilities as a skipper and make sure your boat is well secured .things flying around in a boat can become missles once everything goes pear shaped at Bar Crossings :wacko: If in doubt do not go through a bar unless you are confident about a safe passage in or out . Usually a heavy NORTHEAST wind and a out going tide provide the most dangerous conditons on the bars in NSW .We have had some ugly days at Greenwell Point and Narooma bars in such conditons :ranting2: Just remember no fish is worth your life and there is always tomorrow :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

Just a footnote to BAR CROSSINGS .There is a very good video/dvd on Blue Water Saftey from the Waterways guys which includes safe offshore boating,featuring "How to Cross Surf Bars "

Cheers Swordfisherman

Why not try Hat Head? You can put in there on all but low tide, and you've got access to fish rock and black rock too, plus nippers and pipies and its a bloody nice spot. Shame the creek is stuffed due to the local pro.

Johblow,

thats an interesting comment about the PRO's ...

what do you mean by 'stuffed the creek'?

changa

Guest johblow

Thanks for all that info - its very interesting.

Johblow,

what do you mean by 'stuffed the creek'?

changa

I dont want this to sounds like one of those "back in my day..." stories (hey, im only 30!), but...

My family has been holidaying there since the late 60's, and there is a well documented decline in the quality of fishing in the creek :( . T'was once a fish haven, with heaps of large blackfish and all the other stuff you expect. My Dad pulled an 18+ inch blackfish out of the creek under the road bridge (have photo!). Ill find the photo and post it.

There is a local pro that i have personally seen netting the mouth of the creek, even though he is not meant to, pulling heaps of stuff while us ametures cant give away a yabbie in the creek. S--ting in ones own nest, so to speak.

The other factor is that at one point the local authorities pulled out a whole lot of the mangroves for some stupid reason (something to do with drainage for the Maclay?) and as a result of silt, the depth of the creek went down bigtime, and the deep holes filled in. Weed beds went west too.

Its still a lovely spot, but the fishing in the creek is a bit of a waste of time, and nothing like it was (like everywhere). Frankly the creek fishing is better in Sydney - it used to be the other way around. There are still plenty of yabbies in the creek, and pippies on the beaches in the area.

Cheers,

jon

Johblow,

I often snorkel in back creek and i often see 5kg+ flatties layin in the sand.

They are 5kg for one reason..........smart fishy :1prop:

But, you would be right, fishing was ALWAYS better back 'in the good ole days'..... :1fishing1:

Personally, i gather bait in back creek, snorkel in back creek, swim there, toss soft plastics about and catch whoppin muddies there. There will always be a bad apple to contend with that wants to rape our waters.

Hell, ive seen nets across the entire width of the macleay (yep, thats not legal and look at what they would reap.....massive jews,flatties, big greenback tailor, longtails,sharks, thumpin bream, blackfish, etc etc.

Anyways, looking forward, the most damage up there nowdays is the hordes of people that travel there to rape the place of its majestic bait grounds and game fishery, with many boats killing multiple marlin EVERYDAY....(who could ever eat that much).......

now, dont get me started on them :ranting2::ranting2:

changa

Guest johblow

They are 5kg for one reason..........smart fishy :1prop:

Hahaha yes! Actually, i was talking about Korogoro creek at Hat Head :-)

I agree with what you say.

Cheers,

Jon

Guest bluecod

changa

If you want the good oil on how to cross the SWR bar, this bloke Changa would know a few things about it.

Guest bluecod

changa

If you want the good oil on how to cross the SWR bar, this bloke Changa would know a few things about it.

Changa if you're up that way in the next three weeks watch out for a 6 metre Haines Signature "Knot at Work" as it could very well have an 18yr old lass on board who's been putting in the hard yards for a black and only been getting hammers. A bit of advice for them [VHF or 27Mghz] might not go astray.

post-106-1135074809_thumb.jpg

The oustside fishing at SWR is usually red hot after Christmas. As to the bar Bluecod is talking about the Macleay River bar. While I don't disagree with his comments I would add that 95% percent of boats 5.4m and under go out of the Back Creek near the town centre. It is quite protected and without the extreme flow of the main river. Usually there are only on or two small waves to hop over. If it is too rough here you probably wouldn't want to go outside anyway. The only problem is it is quite shallow so you have to work the tides. You want the tide to be at least half in. The usual practice is to head out on the run in, a few hours before high tide, and come back a few hours after high tide.

I wouldn't bother with Hat Head Creek. It is even shallower and there is not much accomodation there.

Edited by billfisher

Changa if you're up that way in the next three weeks watch out for a 6 metre Haines Signature "Knot at Work" as it could very well have an 18yr old lass on board who's been putting in the hard yards for a black and only been getting hammers. A bit of advice for them [VHF or 27Mghz] might not go astray.

post-106-1135074809_thumb.jpg

Bluecod,

I thought trevor was only going up for 2 weeks comin home on the 7th :wacko:

If he is there for 3 weeks, then that means he will be there until W/E of 14th.....or is he not sat to saturday accom at the gaol ??

Hope i get to catch up, you goin up? who is the 18yr old lass?.....

changa

Guest bluecod

Bluecod,

I thought trevor was only going up for 2 weeks comin home on the 7th :wacko:

..or is he not sat to saturday accom at the gaol ??

Hope i get to catch up, you goin up? who is the 18yr old lass?.....

changa

Changa,

You're partly right he has cut it short this year - he left this morning but will be back around the 7th [i think]. I've not planned anything, but the :wife: may want to get up to Nambucca for a few days and if so I'll probably try and tee up a fish with him one morning - the 18 yr old lass? :biggrin2: not what you think, its his daughter!

Trev hasn't done all that well on the blacks this early in the season, but we do OK later on - would he be better off trolling skirts this time of year?

Is that George Lucas on the back of that boat :1yikes:

Close! but no cigar :wacko:

Bluecod,

I dont get there until the 7th........... :ranting2:

I dont usually target blacks at xmas time although if we do, we still get them but more like 1 a day rather than 3, 4 or 5 like when they are hot.

We fish wide in search of bigger things. Big dollies, wahoo, blues, YFT etc.

As for the 18yr old lass(i was not sure if it was your daughter or his previously, thats why i asked :wacko: ) i hope trev pins one for her. There is nothing better than getting someone their first marlin.

Merry xmas mate, and if you are there when i am, call me up and have a :beersmile: and :1fishing1:

Trev has my number.

cheers

changa

:tease:

Thanks for all that info - its very interesting.

I dont want this to sounds like one of those "back in my day..." stories (hey, im only 30!), but...

My family has been holidaying there since the late 60's, and there is a well documented decline in the quality of fishing in the creek :( . T'was once a fish haven, with heaps of large blackfish and all the other stuff you expect. My Dad pulled an 18+ inch blackfish out of the creek under the road bridge (have photo!). Ill find the photo and post it.

There is a local pro that i have personally seen netting the mouth of the creek, even though he is not meant to, pulling heaps of stuff while us ametures cant give away a yabbie in the creek. S--ting in ones own nest, so to speak.

Cheers,

jon

Hi Johblow,

The Professional fisherman that you are on about have over 50 years of fishing in Hat Head. They put Hat Head on the map. The Ocean Haul net they use is used off the main beach this is perfectly legal and is not used in the creek. There is still heaps of fish in the creek , if you snorkel up the creek you will see what i mean. You are not going to catch fish during holiday period with 1000 kids and tourists swimming in the creek. Definately more people than in the 1960's . So next time your Buying ice, prawns , bait or fish cause you can't catch any fish in the creek off the local pro let him know your opinion instead of talking about the guy on here. "I hope you can run fast or duck."

:tease::tease:

Merry Xmas John.

Guest bluecod

Bluecod,

Merry xmas mate, and if you are there when i am, call me up and have a :beersmile: and :1fishing1:

Trev has my number.

cheers

changa

Thanks for the offer Changa :thumbup: If I'm up that way around then I'll give you a call for a :beersmile: or two and a bit of a :1gathering: maybe even a :1fishing1:

Merry Xmas to you and the family.

Guest johblow

:tease:

Hi Johblow,

The Professional fisherman that you are on about have over 50 years of fishing in Hat Head. They put Hat Head on the map. The Ocean Haul net they use is used off the main beach this is perfectly legal and is not used in the creek. There is still heaps of fish in the creek , if you snorkel up the creek you will see what i mean. You are not going to catch fish during holiday period with 1000 kids and tourists swimming in the creek. Definately more people than in the 1960's . So next time your Buying ice, prawns , bait or fish cause you can't catch any fish in the creek off the local pro let him know your opinion instead of talking about the guy on here. "I hope you can run fast or duck."

:tease::tease:

Merry Xmas John.

OK, i get your point. I'm an honest person though and am not making up BS.

Luckily i've never needed to buy anything from HH accept milk, bread and petrol. I buy my prawns from SWR ;-) merry Xmas to you too