Went Squidding despite the conditions

SquidyJ

Nice feed there.   I have had a couple of experiences in Botany Bay boat fishing where the squid have come on hard when the conditions turned to crap.   It was right out in the middle of the bay and the arrow squid were hitting the jigs as soon as they hit the surface.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fergofisher said:

nice good little feed there. What technique got them on the chew, slow life or jigging? 

Hey Fergo,

I've notice that double jig at 1.5 g each and just letting it sink at the bottom then jig it

Some really nice Kingie baits there squidyJ. I’m not a great “ squidder” (only chase them to get Kingies), but a small amount of rain doesn’t seem to affect them too much, but a lot of rain causes them to go deep as fresh water is less dense than salt and so floats on top, where the squid can’t survive. When I’ve caught squid after heavy rain, I’ve had them die in the live bait tank as the pickup is at the back of the boat and sucks in the fresher, less salty water.

To catch them after a big fresh, I hunt around the ocean headlands on the run in tide, which brings in the salt water and pushes the fresh back, after really heavy rain (like now) I think they might head out to sea or sulk in deep salty holes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Some really nice Kingie baits there squidyJ. I’m not a great “ squidder” (only chase them to get Kingies), but a small amount of rain doesn’t seem to affect them too much, but a lot of rain causes them to go deep as fresh water is less dense than salt and so floats on top, where the squid can’t survive. When I’ve caught squid after heavy rain, I’ve had them die in the live bait tank as the pickup is at the back of the boat and sucks in the fresher, less salty water.

To catch them after a big fresh, I hunt around the ocean headlands on the run in tide, which brings in the salt water and pushes the fresh back, after really heavy rain (like now) I think they might head out to sea or sulk in deep salty holes.

Interesting point. Thanks