Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out to Bate Bay yesterday arvo, with my mate to his fishing spot.

Anchored up before sunset, burleyed away and fished until around 8pm. At no time did any yakkas or slimies appear, which is very unusual, nothing showing on the sounder.

Fished with pillie sections, legs from a small occy, and salted yakka fillets. A few small reddies and other small pickers near the bottom, the bigger fish were caught on floating baits. The tailor came on the bite near full dark, mainly just picking at the bait until hookup. A small amberjack grabbed an occy leg.

My mate was bitten off 3 times, and on a hook up near the bottom, his 24lb braid snapped some distance from the hook. :blink:

We had enough fish and headed home. The biggest fish was a tailor at 44cm.

fish.jpeg.286_files_files.jpg

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well done Yowie, some really nice tailor (and Trevally) there. How do you cook / smoke your tailor? ( Have you tried Trevally sashimi. = 🙂🙂)

I have not smoked tailor for a long time, but I used a shoe box size smoker with wood chips for flavour - tasted quite nice.

I cook tailor a number of ways - fish patties, crumbed fillets from smaller ones, fillets on the BBQ, baked in the oven with various toppings, plus more.

I don't eat sashimi, however, mum sometimes eats raw fish when I give her a few fillets. No toppings, just plain raw fish (and she is now 90 😁)

42 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie....bust offs little bronzies?

Don't know what is was, neither does he. Just some weight and ping.

With one bite off, he saw something white under the boat, water still a bit coloured out there, swimming like mad, then a fairly clean bite off, maybe a big bonnie.

I also pulled up 2 small snook, never caught them outside before, always up river in the Hacking.

I’ve got an old style stove with a separate griller at our holiday house and I line the grill with alfoil then tailor fillets sprinkled heavily with brown sugar,then dotted with little knobs of block butter.   Under the grill on full heat and it’s fabulous.  Don’t overcook!

3 hours ago, bookwa said:

I’ve got an old style stove with a separate griller at our holiday house and I line the grill with alfoil then tailor fillets sprinkled heavily with brown sugar,then dotted with little knobs of block butter.   Under the grill on full heat and it’s fabulous.  Don’t overcook!

Sounds like it might be worth a try.

24 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Pretty good mate considering the fresh water pumping out to sea, as usual for you fresh fish taken home for Easter, well done !

Thank you. The colour is still there.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, Yowie said:

Headed out to Bate Bay yesterday arvo, with my mate to his fishing spot.

Anchored up before sunset, burleyed away and fished until around 8pm. At no time did any yakkas or slimies appear, which is very unusual, nothing showing on the sounder.

Fished with pillie sections, legs from a small occy, and salted yakka fillets. A few small reddies and other small pickers near the bottom, the bigger fish were caught on floating baits. The tailor came on the bite near full dark, mainly just picking at the bait until hookup. A small amberjack grabbed an occy leg.

My mate was bitten off 3 times, and on a hook up near the bottom, his 24lb braid snapped some distance from the hook. :blink:

We had enough fish and headed home. The biggest fish was a tailor at 44cm.

fish.jpeg.286_files_files.jpg

Nice haul yowie, few good deeds in there 

I fished bate bay today, up near the kernel lighthouse. Water is more brown than green. Lots of boats out. I didn’t see anyone catch anything. Lots of bait in the water but nothing decent. Best fish for me was a 35cm sweep, which went back to grow bigger. Fantastic weather though. Plenty of boats out in the hacking as you would expect. I had a mullet jumping in front of me at the mouth of burraneer bay in between tons of boats. 

56 minutes ago, mark_s said:

I fished bate bay today, up near the kernel lighthouse. Water is more brown than green. Lots of boats out. I didn’t see anyone catch anything. Lots of bait in the water but nothing decent. Best fish for me was a 35cm sweep, which went back to grow bigger. Fantastic weather though. Plenty of boats out in the hacking as you would expect. I had a mullet jumping in front of me at the mouth of burraneer bay in between tons of boats. 

Just a matter of finding them, burley needed in the murky water. Colour should clear mid next week.

4 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Just a matter of finding them, burley needed in the murky water. Colour should clear mid next week.

I anchored and burleyed and i I drifted.  Made  little difference 

Edited by mark_s