Weed collection For blackfish

Kracka

Gday raiders, 

Hit the northern beaches headlands yesterday to collect some weed (i always collect both cabbage and string weed) for my blackfish sessions in the harbour BUT i could only find cabbage, none of the stringy stuff. I was hoping to get both types of weed as i was introducing a fellow work colleage and now fishing buddy to the dark arts.

Got the the spot at Clarke's Point but knowing my luck...yesterday the luds didn't seem too keen on the cabbage even after tuning them in with a solid bucket of pretty rich cabbage weed burley.

We had only a few downs through the last of the run out tide but i suspect few were blackfish as the floats rocketed down unusually fast. I suspect they were surgeonfish.

We fished Clarke's Point which I've never donut'd at... But i guess there's a first for everything.

I'm not asking for any secret weed collection spots. But was hoping for some 2c on the matter. If the long stringy weed is knocked out at all the headlands and lower reaches of the harbour, does it mean the weed is knocked out everywhere or are there still good spots where it'll grow well in the upper reaches like the parra and cooks river? Also, is it all the rain and cold weather that kicks out the stringy stuff? 

I've never had to look so hard to find weed before (and yeah gotta love that wording lol). 

Any help would be awesome. 

Tight lines. 

tbh u just need to be in a good area for weed.

some are rich in weed, others are not, look for the rockpools that have a ton shit

maybe try cunjevoi if u cant find any weed

Edited by bkk

Big seas definitely knock out the string weed on the exposed rock platforms. 
Heavy rain kills it off in the other spots and it can take a long time to come back, sometimes years.

Im in Yamba now and the string weed has died off in the regular drains, so it’s cabbage or nothing.

• Like 3

Hi,

I have found that weed grows really well in the cooler weather and dies off over summer in Tuggerah Lakes.

As you have found, cabbage on the open ocean rock platforms is much more reliable but even it can suffer in very how weather and little swell.

KB

• Like 1

That's good to know, thank you for the input.

I'll have to keep checking my usual spots along the northern beaches and hunt around some more. Fingers crossed it springs back soon.

I took a trip to the hawkesbury river the other day to chase flatties and thought I'd take some time to check some mangrove creeks and rocks... Seems to be the same story there... All short and scarce weed....slimy too.

It seemed to grow OK on some of the moored boats and jetties but again... Too short and hard to collect from a boat. I would have thought the hawkesbury would be chockers full of it seeing as it would probably get more nutrient run off.

I might do a fishing trip up to tuggerah KB, otherwise I'll bite the bullet and fish with cabbage like you suggested Ryder.

Hi kracka,

It’s not worth coming up here to look for weed or blackfish atm...both are scarce. No weed yet in the lake and I can’t turn a scale on the blackfish front despite a couple of efforts. Still too early for the winter run and the lake is still settling down after the floods.

KB

• Like 1

Hi KB, 

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

It sounds like a lot of blackfishos are doing it tough at the moment.

Hopefully when the run starts up your way you can make up for the past few efforts.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Well the water's got a bit cooler and there is now soft weed around the shores of Tuggerah Lake in the shallows near Long Jetty's Saltwater Creek boat ramp. I'm sure there's plenty all around especially heading out towards the Wyong side of the Lake. In a while the weed will improve with wire weed available as well.

No blackfish biting though!

KB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks KB for the action report up at Tugg. The wire weeds growing well enough along some of the headlands down in Sydney. Haven't been for a fish yet but this Monday I'll get a chance hopefully. Some decent catches coming out of the harbour at the moment. Seen Royce on instagram chipping away at the lud population. Hopefully some of the action will come up your way soon!