Trailer rego hassles

frankS

As some of you know I recently purchased yet another boat motor and trailer.

I bought the outfit from a large auction house and with this particular auction place pretty well every vehicle is sold unregistered without plates. Anyhow I knew that and it didn't bother me as I inspected the boat trailer and motor before placing a bid and won the bid for less then my highest bid.

I have been doing a bit of work getting the boat ready for the water, checking everything out, emptying fuel tank etc , pulling up floor and inspecting, adding lights etc to trailer as well as making sure the brakes and all work properly.

Took it to get blue slipped, and to my surprise the V I N number on the trailer does not match the V I N number on my receipt, only 2 numbers different so I would say clerk has made typo in doing receipt.

MY problem is the auction house wants 2 days ( this was yesterday ) before they let me know when they are going to issue me with a new receipt with the updated correct V I N numbers, OR if the wrong numbers have been engraved onto the plate. Either way , I have several V I N plates here blank that I can stamp numbers on and pop to trailer.

My gripe is the 2 days delay. Wouldn't you think they could check these things in a matter of minutes rather than days.

Not only that but the blue slip guy now wants $250 for the blue slip for wasting his time to check the V I N number.

Think I will be taking it to a different Blue slip guy when I get it sorted.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Unless things have changed which I doubt, as a previous employee of the DMT/RTA/RMS for 52 years I can tell you that the fee for pink and blue slips are fixed by the now RMS and they can't charge more than the set fee prescribed.  However he can charge that fee for a 1st inspection that is a fail if he issues a slip listing fail items, but Im pretty sure that the return inspection is included in that fee.  You can check this by phoning the RMS.   Ron 

• Like 3

$250 for a blue slip or inspection. Thats ridiculous overcharge ! CAMPR is right, the charges by RMS are fixed now (circa $60) and it wouldnt have taken him $200 in labour cost to do an inspection. 

Either way - i would argue a total reinspection is not required. if you can provide him with a corrected receipt he should be able to have it registered based off his previous inspection as long as it is the same trailer. Its not like he needs to revisit brakes, lights, braces etc

Thanks for the replies. I didn't like the guys attitude from the very start, when I rang him for an appointment he asked if I was Lebonese, What that would have to do with a trailer inspection is anyone's guess. When we got there , there wasn't room to park outside his workshop so we parked 20 feet up from his door, he insisted that we drive around the complex and park immediately outside his door. First think he said was this trailer has been modified, so what, does it comply with road worthy regulations ? that's what we are here to verify. He kept on about different things like the winch post has been touched up with cold gal paint, does this stop it from being road worthy ? . The guy was a complete nutter and kept looking for anything to waste time on. It was his own fault that it wasted 10 minutes of his time. When he discovered the different numbers on compliance plate, he seemed to be very happy. And that's when he decided he wanted the $250 for the blue slip.

Anyhow still waiting for the auction house to get back to me with the correct receipt.

IF all else fails, I will float the boat, get the trailer weighed, pull off the V I N plate and take it to another blue slipper as a new trailer . and start from scratch. After all I bought it as a un registered trailer.

Frank

Well got an updated receipt with an apology for their mistake, guess what !! still one digit different there is a D instead of an 0 , so I will stamp a new compliance plate with the numbers they have supplied and take it to blue slip and  RTA and keep my fingers crossed that it passes. I am aware that home made trailers need receipts of materials used, one factor that will come to light when I take the alloy trailer down to be registered which I am half way through building.

Frank