Hints for a better Botany landbased bite in winter?

Salvatore

Hi All,

I've become addicted to fishing since about last September and have had lots of success landbased in Botany Bay, particularly from the beaches south of the airport. I fish only soft plastics and usually use a 7' ~2-4kg paired with a 2500 with 10lb braid/10lb fluoro throwing 1/8th - 1/4oz jigheads with z-man slim swimz and grubz - I've pulled everything from a 62cm flattie to a 63cm kingie.

I've noticed over the last month I've gone from pulling in at least a few decent fish around sunrise to barely getting a hit. I know the bite slows down in winter but I was hoping I'd still get something.

My favourite fishing at the moment is for the humble flathead. Any hints on what I should be doing to get onto legal flathead from the land from now until spring in Botany Bay? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

It is possible. But Botany Bay becomes very hard fishing in winter, especially land based.

My advice is to try some new spots if your only after flathead. 

The other alternative is to buy yourself a beach set up and target some of the winter species like salmon and tailor off the beaches.

• Like 1

The flathead become lethargic in the cooler water, so slow your retrieves way down and longer pauses.

Down where I am at St Georges Basin, the majority of  flathead tend to move upstream into the feeder creeks at this time of year, so perhaps you could try further up the Georges River.

• Like 1

Imo fishing for flathead land based is always going to be harder, they generally like to sit on the edge of gutters & deeper drop offs which is difficult to access from land.

In saying that not uncommon to catch some nice sized fish in just a couple of feet of water but you need to cover a decent amount of area to find one.

Personally I'd be upping your jighead weight to 1/2oz to extend your cast distance& trying for a bit deeper water from around Dolls point to St. George sailing club, even if you need to walk out a but in the shallows, and if you dont already have a plastic colour in Zman like electric chicken in StreakZ or gulps jerkshad like nuclear chicken then give that type/colour a try, its funny how they will prefer one colour over another!

BTW, the last few outings Ive had in BB in the tinny weren't very productive for flatties at my usual locations & I even tried expanding my search area yet other people had posting catching a few decent fish in different locations more towards the river.

To find the fish sometimes you just have to keep moving.

Good luck :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Go beach fishing. It is a whole new world. Casting metals at salmon and tailor. A lot of fun.

Cheers.

I kind of do the reverse, summer I fish for Whiting off the beach, then winter when the swell is low from the westerlies, I fish for Bream right in on the rocks at high tide, just a few hooks and wander along, casting into deeper holes right on the waters edge, or spinning off suitable places looking for Tailor.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

Thanks for all the replies and ideas! I’ll give fishing further up the system, bait, vibes and heavier jig heads a go. If that’s no good I’ll go with some surf fishing!

Thanks again!

No problem, we are just here to help 😉

That is help the tackle stores with sales & increase your tackle inventory plus lighten your wallet at the same time :mfr_lol:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 3