Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. 

Plenty of bait stealing reddies about, some just under size, 2 legals amongst them. Also jackets about as baits just disappeared from time to time, and no bites. Various baits used.

Pulled up the flounder from there, and a salmon about 50cm, released.

I pumped a few nippers and started a drift on the Lilli Pilli flats, when the birds started squawking near the mouth of South West Arm. I could see a few fish splashing about, so make a quick trip to their vicinity and the action stopped. Cast out a metal anyway and hooked the tailor first cast, then a salmon a short while later, released again. I had a follow up from a couple of fish then nothing to be seen. Tried a squid jig in a few places for nothing, then returned to the flats, again nothing.

Headed to Maianbar flats and had to wait for a while for the tide to rise. Plenty of small whiting until a bit of depth came in with the tide, then pulled out the 3 legals.

There were whiting to be seen in various places along the edges of sand banks, many small ones with the occasional larger ones looking like 35 to 40 cms. Also quite a few blackfish to be seen scooting around the weed beds.

fish.jpeg.294_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Nice detailed report with yet another good bag of fish, well done .

Frank

Thank you. The water is cooling off, and clear, but some fish still there.

4 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

The weather was good and we avoided the early start. Nice tailor,  whiting  and overall  bag of fish.

Gentleman's hours. 🤣

Still a few fish about, though the legal reddies are few and far between. Still some whiting about, though the calm and clear water does not help.

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. 

Plenty of bait stealing reddies about, some just under size, 2 legals amongst them. Also jackets about as baits just disappeared from time to time, and no bites. Various baits used.

Pulled up the flounder from there, and a salmon about 50cm, released.

I pumped a few nippers and started a drift on the Lilli Pilli flats, when the birds started squawking near the mouth of South West Arm. I could see a few fish splashing about, so make a quick trip to their vicinity and the action stopped. Cast out a metal anyway and hooked the tailor first cast, then a salmon a short while later, released again. I had a follow up from a couple of fish then nothing to be seen. Tried a squid jig in a few places for nothing, then returned to the flats, again nothing.

Headed to Maianbar flats and had to wait for a while for the tide to rise. Plenty of small whiting until a bit of depth came in with the tide, then pulled out the 3 legals.

There were whiting to be seen in various places along the edges of sand banks, many small ones with the occasional larger ones looking like 35 to 40 cms. Also quite a few blackfish to be seen scooting around the weed beds.

fish.jpeg.294_files_files.jpg

I love photos of your aquarium adventures...just hurts when I'm at work! Good to see the mixed species aren't wearing puffer jackets just yet:)

11 hours ago, jenno64 said:

I love photos of your aquarium adventures...just hurts when I'm at work! Good to see the mixed species aren't wearing puffer jackets just yet:)

When it is calm and clear, there can be plenty of fish to see, also, there will be places where there are no fish to see, so it gives me an idea where to fish.

Along the edge of the main channel was where I was looking, also over the flats in different places. There was one big puff of sand in the shallows, I did not see the fish but guessing it was a good sized flattie.

I saw a turtle in the mouth of South West Arm, sticking it's head out of the water looking at me, then diving under the boat.

Bruce (Hookerbruce) stopped near me for a chat, and said the water temp was 15 degrees, so it is cooling off and the fishing will slow down over the next month or so.