Dixon beach fishing

BigHorse

Hey Fishraiders, just wanted to share an early morning beach fishing session. 

My dad and I have always wanted to go beach fishing as we live opposite the beach in newcastle but have never had a proper chance, but this morning we decided to wake up early and head down. We went down around 6 in the morning. We were using at 12 foot shimano combo beach rod and a a 10 foot beach rod and reel from my grandparents house. We were using a simple beach sinker with a swivel with 40cm of trace to ganged pillies.

Anyway, we went down on dixon beach and found a nice gutter going along the beach. We put the pillies in the water and soon we had a nice small tailor on the sand. We were using a slow wind with pauses retrieval for this fish. It was about 20cm. The second fish my dad caught. It was a small 23cm tailor. He just left his rod in the rod holder and let the fish hook itself. The 3rd fish was a beautiful 35cm winter bream. Being my first legal fish off the beach I was pretty pumped. We decided to brain spike it and bleed it for dinner. The last fish was also another small tailor.

For my first ever beach fishing trip i was amazed how simply and fun it was to catch a feed of fish off the beach! I hope this report has helped some people who aren't quite sure how to get into beach fishing. Thank you.👍5D8DB6D3-F021-4B84-B1B8-66BA19AF4BFD.thumb.jpeg.8bc1d72a332a117cfe88b0de9155f98d.jpeg

• Like 8

Beach fishing can be very rewarding, and if you live close to a beach, it's simple, quick and convenient to just go and "wet a line" once you get the hang of the difference between summer and winter species, then progress to catching beach worms, it can be great fun, and a feed of quality fish can be easy to get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Great work on your 1st beach catch :thumbup:

If I lived across the road from one I think I'd be over there every day, even for 30 minute trying to catch something for dinner 🙂

Well I bet you& your dad are hooked now 😉

Totally, we plan now to go over once a week!😄

Edited by BigHorse

13 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Great work on your 1st beach catch :thumbup:

If I lived across the road from one I think I'd be over there every day, even for 30 minute trying to catch something for dinner 🙂

Well I bet you& your dad are hooked now 😉

That is exactly what I do, especially during summer, get a Whiting or two, then another couple the next day, you have enough for a meal, I often see schools of fish breaking up, and always have a spin rod with a lure rigged in the garage, grab the rod, onto the beach, cast and Tailor or Salmon are an instant catch, always keep a Tailor or two, they are great eating when really fresh (in my opinion)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

That is exactly what I do, especially during summer, get a Whiting or two, then another couple the next day, you have enough for a meal, I often see schools of fish breaking up, and always have a spin rod with a lure rigged in the garage, grab the rod, onto the beach, cast and Tailor or Salmon are an instant catch, always keep a Tailor or two, they are great eating when really fresh (in my opinion)

Living the dream Noel 👌

• Like 1