Port hacking 8/6/2020

Crabstar

Afternoon raiders!

Monday I headed out fishing on the hacking on my usual mondays, launched from Grays point about 1am Monday morning.

Proceeded through the mist to Jew spot A,  just where the hacking river meets the main port hacking system. Fished for 2hrs not even a touch, water temp 13 degrees.

After two hours headed down to lili pilli, fished the edge into the deep, depth sounder  showed plenty of action but after another two hours noticed it was yellowtail everywhere! Resulted in no Jew.

Once the sun came up proceeded to my squid spot, (can’t give that away) landed 3 in the first hour. Photo attached.

Once I finished playing with the squid watched the swell for a bit and decided to head offshore (only in my 390 outback) looked fine in close but once you get right out 300m past the Bombora it was a little hairy for her, quick drop to see what was below and caught two small flathead on the first drop....decided to come back on and called it a day.

447EA4DE-3360-451E-A69A-A219630296EC.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice. 👍

a few about in the hacking - got this big boy last Thursday on a pink 3.5 yamashita. Hood alone was 30cm+

75F4C8F9-0B84-46F6-AF34-A34D816BA7E7.jpeg.92fdc4aecff9f283b5c785cc3bcc7cdc.jpegbeen finding the pink colour working well in the 3.5 size for the larger squid.

if you don’t mind me asking what colour and size jig you get yours on?

There are still fish in the hacking larger baits for jews may restricted your catch of smaller fish. I fished near lilli pilli Monday morning didn't start till after 8 , 1am far too early for me. Kept 3 trevs 40 cm a good bream and 10 jackets. My son got a watsons bonito, a large longtom and a few other fish on Sunday. 

On 6/8/2021 at 9:36 PM, Larkin said:

Nice. 👍

a few about in the hacking - got this big boy last Thursday on a pink 3.5 yamashita. Hood alone was 30cm+

75F4C8F9-0B84-46F6-AF34-A34D816BA7E7.jpeg.92fdc4aecff9f283b5c785cc3bcc7cdc.jpegbeen finding the pink colour working well in the 3.5 size for the larger squid.

if you don’t mind me asking what colour and size jig you get yours on?

Hey Mate,

Im using a 3-3.5 yamashita blue type with an electric blue in a zig zag down the guts of it, funny ive tried 5 other colours there and they always seem to smash that one, if i loose it ill be spewing, think i should buy more of the same type!

On 6/12/2021 at 8:18 AM, Crabstar said:

Hey Mate,

Im using a 3-3.5 yamashita blue type with an electric blue in a zig zag down the guts of it, funny ive tried 5 other colours there and they always seem to smash that one, if i loose it ill be spewing, think i should buy more of the same type!

I wonder if the UV body is making a difference. From what I can see there are 3 UV body yamashita. The pink #005(which I’ve been using), the blue #007(which you are using) and they also do an orange version #025.

these UV body jigs might be working well in the hacking due to the clearer water and deeper light penetration.

19 hours ago, Larkin said:

I wonder if the UV body is making a difference. From what I can see there are 3 UV body yamashita. The pink #005(which I’ve been using), the blue #007(which you are using) and they also do an orange version #025.

these UV body jigs might be working well in the hacking due to the clearer water and deeper light penetration.

Morning Mate!

Yeah you could be right regarding the UV, im heading out tomorrow morning 3am (not a 1am start cause my mate is a pussy) going to try again for a jew this time in gunamatta bay. Low tide is at 630am so will be interesting start in the morning on sunrise for squid usually i prefer the last 3 hours of the run in, will try variety of spots again!