Sydney International Boat Show cancelled

mrsswordfisherman

Its a shame they didn't just postpone it & re schedule it like a lot of our events have done over the last week or so since the lockdown was announced.

Still Im sure they tried but it maybe to hard to reorganize other stakeholders/partners ect & logistically with the boats maybe.

Bad news for all parties not just boaties!

All of Sydney's hospitality & events businesses, particularly the CBD will need the support after yet another massive disruption to business due to this lockdown.

Hospitality cops the brunt of it again 😢

Get vaccinated if you can so we dont have to keep going through this BS 🤬

• Like 1

I missed last years show as I didn't want to buy anything.

I was really looking forward to this year as I have heaps I need to get for the new/old boat.

Lecky motor, sounder/gps, safety gear and whatever else may catch my eye.

Guess I will just have to use the net and get the best deals.

Shame DINGA is no longer sponsoring us as their prices are competitive although not the cheapest.

I do feel sorry for all businesses that have and are going through these tough times and I don't know how much more the government can do to aid these people, there is only so much money that can be dealt out, once it's all gone and the borrowing stops where does the country go to then.

Frank

46 minutes ago, motiondave said:

"Puts tin foil hat on"

I'm not denying that covid is not a problem.

I'm not denying that vaccines are needed.

Granted scomo government has spent zillions on vaccines and not many are taking them

Just funny how we get lockdown on school holidays, mother's Day weekend, Anzac, or other special weekends or times.

Funny how they seemed to want to ruin the economy .

Just like covid phone app, restrictions got reduced once more downloads of app happened....

tin.jpeg.03e49355d18f6f46bd5b3f983b0d7bc3.jpeg:whistling:🤣

Didn't mean to start a whole Covid debate although that is the direct reason the show cancelling! 

• Haha 1

There will be another show. Stay home people.Last place I'd be taking my family is anywhere there is crowds in these uncertain times.

I don't care if it was the last one ever I wouldn't go.

This is the main reason all this will keep happening.

The solution? I don't know but going to these places along with doing stupid things like traveling,holidaying,etc which we can all survive without  isn't going to make things better.

Cheers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, motiondave said:

Just like covid phone app, restrictions got reduced once more downloads of app happened....

…. Because contact tracing became easier and more accurate. 

cheers Z

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I would not go either. Even without Covid. 

If you buy the ticket and visit a decent Auto Show with the intention to check out some cars - no one will tell you are not allowed to sit in a new model Hyindai, MB, Toyota, VW etc just because someone bought it yesterday just like in a next door car dealership. I.e. you get what you paid for.

Here, it is not a Boat Show,  it is just a  annual market with entrance fees and a paid walk along the marina.

Just my opinion, based on my experience.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Frank we do not have any sponsors.

I will allow Dinga to be mentioned because he still gives fishraiders a small discount on purchases. 

They had (and may be  still have) a "diplomatic" team /ambassadors  - in a VIC fishing forum. From memory  they did not offer any discount to their forum members.  So, I think we are in a better position if they still offer discounts to Fishraider members.

54 minutes ago, savit said:

I would not go either. Even without Covid. 

If you buy the ticket and visit a decent Auto Show with the intention to check out some cars - no one will tell you are not allowed to sit in a new model Hyindai, MB, Toyota, VW etc just because someone bought it yesterday just like in a next door car dealership. I.e. you get what you paid for.

Here, it is not a Boat Show,  it is just a  annual market with entrance fees and a paid walk along the marina.

Just my opinion, based on my experience.

I've never had the need to go to a boat show,caravan show or any show for that matter.

But if I did I'd want to touch the boat,sit in the boat,start the boat,water test the boat. Then I'd think about handing my money over and they'd better say please and thank you.

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

There will be another show. Stay home people.Last place I'd be taking my family is anywhere there is crowds in these uncertain times.

This is the main reason all this will keep happening.

The solution? I don't know but going to these places along with doing stupid things like traveling,holidaying,etc which we can all survive without  isn't going to make things better.

Cheers.

Absolutely completely and well said @Fab1. Its so simple, but still mind blowing the amount of irresponsible idiots out there 😮

• Like 1

Agree that the event be canceled given the low community immunity and current situation. As KC said above it would have been great to reschedule but I think the logistics involved for all vendors would have been insurmountable. 

Regarding Boat Shows in general- I like them and have attended several. I also got great deals - Merc 200 fully installed, stressfree anchor winch and accessories etc etc. 

At the last show I attended 2017 there were only a few boat vendors that didn’t let you onboard. But at least I got to eyeball and visually compare different rigs and setups at most a few hundred steps  from each other versus driving kilometers across suburbs. 

I suppose boat shows like any trade shows are what you make from them. If you have done your homework and a ready to do a deal on a specific product then there is no better place - the vendors are there to do business and at least recover the show costs. 
If you are undecided between products it’s a great place to run between stands and do your final comparison. 
If you’re  just window shopping for ideas or to catch up on tech developments go for your life- every vendor there is keen to discuss their stuff. 
If none of these apply to you - don’t go - but also don’t diss them. 
You can always go for a test drive or touch and feel session with your chosen dealer after the show. 
The shows are really what you make of them. 
cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Agree that the event be canceled given the low community immunity and current situation. As KC said above it would have been great to reschedule but I think the logistics involved for all vendors would have been insurmountable. 

Regarding Boat Shows in general- I like them and have attended several. I also got great deals - Merc 200 fully installed, stressfree anchor winch and accessories etc etc. 

At the last show I attended 2017 there were only a few boat vendors that didn’t let you onboard. But at least I got to eyeball and visually compare different rigs and setups at most a few hundred steps  from each other versus driving kilometers across suburbs. 

I suppose boat shows like any trade shows are what you make from them. If you have done your homework and a ready to do a deal on a specific product then there is no better place - the vendors are there to do business and at least recover the show costs. 
If you are undecided between products it’s a great place to run between stands and do your final comparison. 
If you’re  just window shopping for ideas or to catch up on tech developments go for your life- every vendor there is keen to discuss their stuff. 
You can always go for a test drive or touch and feel session with your chosen dealer after the show. 
cheers Zoran 

You must have read my mind Zoran as that exactly my thoughts & the idea of these shows.

I went.to a 4X4 show just after I got my new Triton & I wanted a bar for.

Was between 3 makes of bars & I could see them all within 50mtrs of each other.

Discounted one straight away then it was who was willing to give me the best deal.

In the end I got a TJM bar fitted for nearly 1K under there normal retail price.

Well worth the effort, drive & admin fee!

As for boat show I wouldn't go every year if I wasn't specifically looking at a big ticket item but that can be a fun & interesting day out looking at all the new gear.

Last time I went myself & my mate got onto a couple of Riviera's, and in front of the salesman I said to my mate, should I get the 35 footer or the 45 footer I can't make up my mind.

The guy was probably thinking tell him he's dreaming.

But I still laugh about it with my mate 

Edited by kingie chaser

4 hours ago, Mullatt said:

Absolutely completely and well said @Fab1. Its so simple, but still mind blowing the amount of irresponsible idiots out there 😮

Exactly.You can't fix idiot mate.

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

cheers Zoran 

Well said mate.I wasn't having a go at people that go to boat shows in general.What's concerning is during these times going anywhere that there is crowds unessarily isn't the smartest decision me thinks.

I agree to some extent the dealers not allowing people on their boats as I can only imagine some of the dead beat tyre kickers attending those boating,camping,fishing shows for something to do with no intention of buying.

Stay safe.

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

You must have read my mind Zoran as that exactly my thoughts & the idea of these shows.

I went.to a 4X4 show just after I got my new Triton & I wanted a bar for.

Was between 3 makes of bars & I could see them all within 50mtrs of each other.

Discounted one straight away then it was who was willing to give me the best deal.

In the end I got a TJM bar fitted for nearly 1K under there normal retail price.

Well worth the effort, drive & admin fee!

Well worth the savings for you mate.

As my reply to Z any savings while this is going on I don't think the risk is worth it to yourself and your family if the show had gone on.

People need to stop and think sometimes that there will be a next year,the year after that and ....

I think about taking my boat out every single day without fail but due to work and dealing with sick family I haven't been able to since before Covid hit.

Guess what? I'm still alive and I'm sure people that miss out on a boat show, going to the local pub etc,etc will survive also.

Cheers.

On 7/1/2021 at 9:28 AM, frankS said:

I missed last years show as I didn't want to buy anything.

I was really looking forward to this year as I have heaps I need to get for the new/old boat.

Lecky motor, sounder/gps, safety gear and whatever else may catch my eye.

Guess I will just have to use the net and get the best deals.

Shame DINGA is no longer sponsoring us as their prices are competitive although not the cheapest.

I do feel sorry for all businesses that have and are going through these tough times and I don't know how much more the government can do to aid these people, there is only so much money that can be dealt out, once it's all gone and the borrowing stops where does the country go to then.

Frank

Frank last years Boat Show was also cancelled

i enjoy the boat shows  myself  and i was  up for a new $15000 spend on a outboard and at the shows you can play ball with all different dealers in one place ,all under 1 roof for the $25 entry easliy worth it .if you dont like them then stay at home and go fishing cheers dunc333