Utes

Bryant fish

Not sure what single cab vs dual cab has anything to do with towing a boat or for deploying & retrieving?

Any vehicle for towing needs to be suitably powered & rated to tow the weight, have decent tyre's & suspension as well.

All ramps are different & some a quite steep, then throw in a low tide & some algae into the equation & thats how cars end up in the drink.

People need to get out & have a look at the ramp before backing up, even more so if its a ramp they have never used or have not used for a while.

Also does not hurt to have some wheel chocks in the car either. 

Is having a 4x4 an advantage..................................absolutely but 4x4's also end up in the drink as well so its more about having common sense imo!

https://www.onscenebondi.com.au/index.php/207-car-plunges-underwater-after-losing-traction-at-botany-boat-ramp

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3510209/Driver-watches-4WD-slide-boat-ramp-water-Yowie-Bay.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comments/ikuqwv/botany_bay_his_first_time/

Make sure your trailer is in good condition as well!

I think the publisher of this vid got the title all wrong, dodgy trailer more like it!!

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, noelm said:

What's the difference in price between two wheel drive and four? if it's not too dramatic, it might be better to go the 4X4 for those few occasions when you need it.

It's certainly not loose change that's for sure.

24 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Not sure what single cab vs dual cab has anything to do with towing a boat or for deploying & retrieving?

Any vehicle for towing needs to be suitably powered & rated to tow the weight, have decent tyre's & suspension as well.

All ramps are different & some a quite steep, then throw in a low tide & some algae into the equation & thats how cars end up in the drink.

People need to get out & have a look at the ramp before backing up, even more so if its a ramp they have never used or have not used for a while.

Also does not hurt to have some wheel chocks in the car either. 

Is having a 4x4 an advantage..................................absolutely!

https://www.onscenebondi.com.au/index.php/207-car-plunges-underwater-after-losing-traction-at-botany-boat-ramp

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3510209/Driver-watches-4WD-slide-boat-ramp-water-Yowie-Bay.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comments/ikuqwv/botany_bay_his_first_time/

Make sure your trailer is in good condition as well!

I think the publisher of this vid got the title all wrong, dodgy trailer more like it!!

I wonder how many rigs that have drowned is because the driver didn't put it in park/first gear with the handbrake firmly engaged?I'm 100% certain there's vehicles out there pulling way more than they are legally aloud too from what I've seen too.Also have a look at some of the tyres on tow vehicles at some of the ramps.I wouldn't put them on a dinky as a dinky has more tread.

Screenshot_20210917-080100_Chrome.jpg

7 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I wonder how many rigs that have drowned is because the driver didn't put it in park/first gear with the handbrake firmly engaged?

Yep, that comes under the common sense clause, we all know some people have very limited amounts 😅

I even think a front wheel drive vehicle could be more of an advantage over rear wheel drive in deploying & retrieving in most cases but that would also depend on the ball weight, if it is an under matched vehicle to boat weight then it could be worse if unweighting the front? 

45 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Yep, that comes under the common sense clause, we all know some people have very limited amounts 😅

I even think a front wheel drive vehicle could be more of an advantage over rear wheel drive in deploying & retrieving in most cases but that would also depend on the ball weight, if it is an under matched vehicle to boat weight then it could be worse if unweighting the front? 

My boat isn't a heavyweight at 550kg ready to tow.My little Kia Cerato(fwd) puts it in/out of the water without even spinning a wheel.Mines a 6 sp auto.Pull out 2nd gear.Always in park,handbrake on and wheel chock behind rear wheel when launching and retrieving.

She tows my boat up and down steep hills like Mount Ousley and Bulli pass like  trooper too and uses 8l per 100km towing.

Heavier rigs may be different.Bil towed a heavy glass boat with a TJ v6 magna (fwd) no issues either for years.

Assuming you are looking to buy new. Triton's are best value out of the Jap brand utes ( built in Thailand) , My choice would be a diesel 4x4 auto. Single cab if fine . no problem towing 2000 kg, rated for 3t  I think. I wouldn't buy the petrol , she will be gutless and chew the fuel too.

The 4x2 will tow your boat just as well as the 4x4, of course the 4x4 is much better on slippery or sand topped ramps and better driving on the road in the wet if it comes with the auto 4x4 option.

Don't be tempted to buy Chinese, they are cheaper but........

Hi

i have a Ford Ranger 4wd and it’s great towing my 5.5mtr alloy boat.

I have only had to engage 4wd drive once and that was on a king low tide at Shoalbay, where I only had my front wheels on the bottom of the sand covered ramp.

the rear differential on the Ford Ranger is not a LSD it is a single spinner, and in 5yrs never had any issues even on a slippery ramp, I just stop a little high from the water line.

you will be fine with a 2wd Ute especially when the boats on the trailer it will help put weight on the back.

Mitsubishi called me back about pricing sounds good but no delivery till maybe February not good my mechanic has put a head gasket Sealer into the old Ute have to drive it for a week and take it back to him he says if it seals it should be good for a fair while I'm hoping it works but will take a bit for me to be confident in it.i   like the old girl but thought of new one was nice.2nd handprices are crazy a few dual cabs with over 300000 km their asking over $20000

8 hours ago, Bryant fish said:

Mitsubishi called me back about pricing sounds good but no delivery till maybe February not good my mechanic has put a head gasket Sealer into the old Ute have to drive it for a week and take it back to him he says if it seals it should be good for a fair while I'm hoping it works but will take a bit for me to be confident in it.i   like the old girl but thought of new one was nice.2nd handprices are crazy a few dual cabs with over 300000 km their asking over $20000

The mechanic that does my pink slip always nags me to sell him my hilux.It's a 2003 dual cab v6 with 96,000km on it.I went to pick an item up from a bloke I bought from on gum tree and he wanted it too.

It ain't going anywhere as I hate all the new utes from all brands.

You don't see many if any as straight as mine and with those kays.

I've never seen one.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:33 PM, Fab1 said:

The mechanic that does my pink slip always nags me to sell him my hilux.It's a 2003 dual cab v6 with 96,000km on it.I went to pick an item up from a bloke I bought from on gum tree and he wanted it too.

It ain't going anywhere as I hate all the new utes from all brands.

You don't see many if any as straight as mine and with those kays.

I've never seen one.

I loved my 2008 Hilux V6 Manual 4x4 dual cab, my Ranger is very close.

My mate still has his (2wd Auto) and is up to 280,000km the only thing which needed replacing was the fuel pump at 200,00km, the pump was working, just took a few revolutions to start, so the mech changed it and it starts first revolution again.

21 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I loved my 2008 Hilux V6 Manual 4x4 dual cab, my Ranger is very close.

My mate still has his (2wd Auto) and is up to 280,000km the only thing which needed replacing was the fuel pump at 200,00km, the pump was working, just took a few revolutions to start, so the mech changed it and it starts first revolution again.

Look after them they will look after you.Wishing you many trouble free years with the Ranger mate.

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

Yes but if he's telling you to get rid of what seems like a perfectly good vehicle.....I'd be questioning, well, that's me. I use to take my car to a mechanic that did a good job but his attitude was lousy, so I went somewhere else

That's exactly why he wants it.You can't find one like mine in that condition and he wants it.

No one touches anything of mine as I do all my own work mate.He just does pink slip.That's it.

One thing I know is NO ONE will do a job as good as you and take the same care you do doing it.NO ONE.

• Like 1

A 4x2 can actually tow a combined pay load heavier than a 4x4. Also a 4x2 is normally better on fuel than its 4x4 brother. I have never had to use 4x4 on any ramp in any territory yet but I do use 4x4 out in the bush. If you ever plan to beach launch then 4x4 would be well worth having. Saw this 2017 bt50 4x2 with low km that might be worth a look https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/306316444636482/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Af410d506-dd39-4cff-ab2b-8b5409319c49

Edited by JonD

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

Im past working on my own cars these days, I have two good mechanics that charge fair and do the job right. I dont mind paying a few quid to have something done, considering i had the front oil seals om the falcon motor done recently, to stop oil leaks, didnt cost as much as it was done a lot quicker than I could have done it.

so Im happy about that :D

Someone's got to keep them employed.Not me. 😂😂 Glad you've found 2 good ones.I'll keel working on my own cars until I can't fit underneath them anymore. 

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Your lucky, the honest fair dinkum ones are very hard to find these days!

They are becoming Dinosaurs more and more each day.The honest, fair anybody's are becoming extinct.It's all about the quick$ 99% of the time now for anything in life.