Hawkesbury jewfish

Pickles

Planned to go fishing down at Wisemans on Tuesday, as it was this time last year I landed a beaut Jewie a bit further down from Wisemans toward Spencer - it went 89cm (pic below), A5423BF5-E925-4EEB-8401-3BAC61D1346C.thumb.jpeg.8c9ed7ea54b34038096d0f70d65fe36e.jpegbut wind put a damper on that, so shot out today to catch the slack water at the turn of tide for Jewies. 
last few trips have resulted in lots of soapies around 35-50cm mark, so Not a keeper for home. However today was different and I got a good hard run on a decent fish that was dropped after a few minutes on th hand line, then a good fish of about 80cm on a pilchard on a rod (still use a rod as well as the hand line). It peeled off about 50 m of line in its initial run and about the same on second run, but kept head shaking all the way till I could see it. It threw the hook (4/0 circle) right at the side of the boat - didn’t have time to get the net under it😞😞. The fist Jewie was on a prawn and second (one seen, but not measured as wasn’t landed) on a pilchard.

No pics as the fish wasn’t landed - caught3 legal duskies, so not a great day, but weather was very pleasant and only other boat on the water was a fisheries boat who came aboard to inspect - from Ourimbah base (central coast), so a fair run up the river for them. They said we were the only boat on the water. Very pleasant blokes, being Koori and not needing a fishing licence, I think they felt sorry and dished out some measure mats, crab rulers, booklets and said “have a good day”.

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 12