Port Hacking reddies

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep near Lilli Pilli. Baits used were squid and fish strips. The pillies produced small stuff.

Managed to pull out a few reddies, a few just over size, plus plenty of smaller ones. A small blue spot flattie in with the reddies. Also pulled out a couple of slightly bigger reddies, only one in the photo, and the other one of the same size was given to my mate before photos. When I phoned him, he was happy for a reddie, so I headed to his place in North West Arm. While there, I saw some small schools of fish getting into baitfish, so I threw out a lure for some time for not a hit on the lure. The splashes looked like tailor, but throwing the lure through the middle of the schools did nothing, so headed home.

fish.jpeg.320_files_files.jpg

• Like 13

Great job again Dave - lucky bugger ....  glad you're keeping your hand in mate ... you're going to have to teach me how to bait the hook again ... 🤔  but then again some of my plastic is still on the hook, maybe I'll be ok 😁

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Great job again Dave - lucky bugger ....  glad you're keeping your hand in mate ... you're going to have to teach me how to bait the hook again ... 🤔  but then again some of my plastic is still on the hook, maybe I'll be ok 😁

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran. Yes, I will show you how to fish again, with real bait. 🤣

32 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

I know you use hand lines but how much weight do you use when baiting with squid or fish fillets?

I guess it depends if he is using coins or bills or credit card at costis reef. 
Sorry for giving your secret spot and technique away Yowie 😇

cheers Z

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice reddies mate, I've been told that sometimes you will catch the bluespotted flatties in the deeper water in the estuaries sometimes. You certainly seem to catch a few. That big one is very nice for inside.

Thank you. I have caught blue spots in water as shallow as 25 feet in the Hacking, though no bigger ones like outside.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie! Relish fillets once again…. You’ll pick up the Dally M for most consistent catches in the tough months!

I know you use hand lines but how much weight do you use when baiting with squid or fish fillets?

Thank you.

No sinker used with the hand lines, just swing the line around my head and let go. Usually on calmer days or with a breeze behind me. For the squid strips, I usually add the head of a pillie on the bottom hook, gives a bit more distance. I use 2 ganged long shank hooks, 3/0, and the bronzed type 4540 and a half. Easier to gang than the red coloured hooks, which are made of harder stainless steel.

fish.jpeg.321_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thank you.

No sinker used with the hand lines, just swing the line around my head and let go. Usually on calmer days or with a breeze behind me. For the squid strips, I usually add the head of a pillie on the bottom hook, gives a bit more distance. I use 2 ganged long shank hooks, 3/0, and the bronzed type 4540 and a half. Easier to gang than the red coloured hooks, which are made of harder stainless steel.

fish.jpeg.321_files_files.jpg

That's a great idea and I'm sure it wafts naturally down into the depths! Love the handline idea!