Setting up and using a sea anchor?

Remote River Man

Just wondered how many Fishraiders use sea anchors (aka drift socks or drogues) while fishing, and exactly how they're used. I've got a medium sized sea anchor for my new 4.5 Polycraft, and am getting ready to attach some line to it and put it to the test (we get plenty of wind and current up here on the QLD Fraser Coast).

Specifically, how long should the line between drogue and boat be, and what gauge (I'm guessing 8mm would do the trick). Also, where is it normally attached? At the bow, off the sides? I've also noticed most people use a short trip line to make it easier to pull back in, which makes sense.

Any suggestions/advice on how to get the most out of a sea anchor for drift fishing are most welcome.

Pics of the new boat forthcoming, once I get it set up the way I like it..... :)

• Like 1

hi riverman we use one to slow down the drift when fishing for flathead .i use around 10m of rope, and it works well it definitly knocks off a few knots ,my only tip is  i put a cover (small bag) over my key switch so it reminds me i have it out as i have driven off a few lets say lots of times when it is still deployed cheers hope this helps dunc333h 

You will need to try different tie off points to get a proper sideways drift, you might even need a bridal kind of setup (2 ropes) they work better if a fair way away, too close and your lines get caught in them.

Hi RRM, you can pay a lot of money for them but I have a cheapy from WWths, I got a medium which is for vessels up to 20ft for 13ft tinny & wish I had of gotten the large one for 25ft vessels as it was only another $20.

The bigger the better imo.

For memory I have it set up with the main line being about 8-10mtrs, I dont use nylon as I think its good to have a little stretch as when it works properly it can give you a decent jolt so I used some of that braided poly rope.

The trip line is thinner rope & is about 1.5mtrs longer than the mail line, you could make the trip line longer & have in tied to a rail near where you sit if you think you might need to pull it on quicker & not having to move as far?

Both my lines are tied off the the bow hand rail which is the same place the anchors is set up to, that way it pulls the bow into the wind.

Edited by kingie chaser

42 minutes ago, noelm said:

Not too sure you want the bow into the wind for drift fishing, for safety yes, but not fishing.

Its what ever works for you Noel!

This works for me!

I will add this is for bay fishing only.

If I was at sea I might choose another option on positioning 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

I’ve used em heaps in NZ waters, get a size that suits the length of your boat, they are sold based on boat length in NZ. I used the same type of rope as my anchor for deploying it (soft warp) 5-10m should be ok, I use a snap carabiner to attach it to the vessel and they should come with a ‘lift rope’ so u can empty them when you haul it back in. I tie off depending on the running current, sometimes at the bow other times at the stern. 5m Quintrex cuddy. They can Be a PITA if you’re bring in a fish around the Drogue and yeah…don’t drive off with it deployed…as many have already said 😆…great way to wreck your prop bush…( yep..I’ve done it !)

If drifting and casting attach to bow  it keeps it pointed into the wind allowing you to cast from rear of boat  if drifting with baits down in deeper water tie off stern with bridle so in centre the you can fish either side of rope    some bridle from bow and stern and drift sideways but not advisable in a sloppy or choppy sea as you could take a wave over the side

It seems to be a common problem , driving off with it still out, I thought I was the only one that forgot it was out.

I use 8 mm silver rope for main line and venetian cord ( clothes line cord ) for the trip. It's hard work pulling them in without the trip cord. Unless you drive up to the device with power.

Frank