Crab pots

slothparade

Sorry for the stupid question but I really couldnt find any pictures, how / where do you tie the line on your crab pot? I'm guessing you need it to be centred so it would lifted up nicely

Also can you put your info on the milk bottle or do you need one of those cards?

Permitted and prohibited saltwater fishing methods (nsw.gov.au)

Always refer to the DPI source for your info. Information is to be written on the float/buoy, no need for a card, and they're probably only at risk of coming off. There are no details on whether a milk bottle would be considered a float/buoy, would be interesting to hear if anyone has been picked up for using a milk bottle as a float/buoy. Big Corporate Fishing stores sell them (floats) pretty cheap. 

As far as how to tie line, I wouldn't worry about them coming up straight. You'd be pretty unlucky to have a crab fall out. Just tie the rope to anywhere on the top ring. 

10 minutes ago, seasponge said:

Always refer to the DPI source for your info. Information is to be written on the float/buoy, no need for a card, and they're probably only at risk of coming off. There are no details on whether a milk bottle would be considered a float/buoy, would be interesting to hear if anyone has been picked up for using a milk bottle as a float/buoy. Big Corporate Fishing stores sell them (floats) pretty cheap. 

As far as how to tie line, I wouldn't worry about them coming up straight. You'd be pretty unlucky to have a crab fall out. Just tie the rope to anywhere on the top ring. 

Thanks, 

I read that part on the DPI, got confused because I saw pictures with the tag on the inside. 

I was reading the floats had to be specific dimensions, so I guess if the milk bottle was within those it would count?

Alright, sounds good, ill tie it on the side somewhere. The way my luck has been going recently, I wouldn't be supprised if the whole bottom of my trap falls off. 

I use milk bottles as floats and write directly on them. I’ve never been picked up for it. However, I haven’t used them fir awhile and they became brittle from the sun and disintegrated. So, I’m looking for more floats… thinking of spraying part of them with a bright flouro stripe or similar so I can spot them easily from afar amongst all the others.

If they are the usual double metal hoop type like this I use some nylon rope tied to the metal hoop near the 4 plastic supports coming up about 60cm & tie all 4 pieces together so they are all the same length.

Then I tie my main line to the end of that so it stays perfectly horizontal as it drops.

Not sure how it's supposed to be done but it was the most logical way to me.

Wilson_24ply_H_D_Round_Crab_Pot_-_Freddys_c083e4b3-b6ad-4015-9664-73bfcbaee49a_887x700.jpg.197001d82ef6a820c02fca067d3ff25e.jpg

Be careful with milk bottles, they deteriorate and will leak and sink, they would comply to the regulation size if you look at the rules. For crab "traps" like the one pictured, it makes no difference where you tie your rope, for lift nets, they need to come up level.

Edited by noelm

19 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I use milk bottles as floats and write directly on them. I’ve never been picked up for it. However, I haven’t used them fir awhile and they became brittle from the sun and disintegrated. So, I’m looking for more floats… thinking of spraying part of them with a bright flouro stripe or similar so I can spot them easily from afar amongst all the others.

Good idea. I might try a laundry detergent bottle then, they are solid as. Thanks for responding 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, noelm said:

Be careful with milk bottles, they deteriorate and will leak and sink, they would comply to the regulation size if you look at the rules. For crab "traps" like the one pictured, it makes no difference where you tie your rope, for lift nets, they need to come up level.

What if I were to replace them every maybe 10 trips or so? Yeah I have a proper pot. Thanks for responding 

19 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

If they are the usual double metal hoop type like this I use some nylon rope tied to the metal hoop near the 4 plastic supports coming up about 60cm & tie all 4 pieces together so they are all the same length.

Then I tie my main line to the end of that so it stays perfectly horizontal as it drops.

Not sure how it's supposed to be done but it was the most logical way to me.

Wilson_24ply_H_D_Round_Crab_Pot_-_Freddys_c083e4b3-b6ad-4015-9664-73bfcbaee49a_887x700.jpg.197001d82ef6a820c02fca067d3ff25e.jpg

Sounds great, was thinking bout doing that. I guess I'll get a plastic ring to attach all the ropes to. Thanks for responding 

There's no need for those traps to go down level, or be pulled up level, a single rope tied to the top ring is all you need. You could use milk bottles and replace them regularly, but for the price, just buy some proper floats? I find ones that you can wind the rope around the best, a polystyrene round buoy will roll around the bottom of the boat and tangle the rope.

Edited by noelm

On 11/15/2021 at 11:55 AM, seasponge said:

Very inventive way to get around not naming a business 😄 

17 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Very inventive way to get around not naming a business 😄 

On 11/15/2021 at 11:55 AM, seasponge said:

🤣I just realised it. Im slow this week LOL