Another morning session

Little_Flatty

Headed back down to Meadowbank this morning, arriving at about 6am. Tide was about 0.8m on the way up to 1.7 again. On arrival, I noticed a rocky outcrop just beyond the mangroves that somehow I haven't noticed in 14 years of fishing the area. I guess it could have been the high tide bias that afflicted me in the past - like many other fishos - caused me to not be around to notice this structure.

@61 crusher's comments on my last post made me think Jewie thoughts, so I brought an upsized outfit - a Flathead Raider coupled with a Sedona 3000, loaded with 10lb braid - the rod was new and I hadn't tried it yet, so I thought I might as well. A 20lb leader and a 1/8 TT snakelockz jighead with a 2/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook was rigged on, and a 3-in Berkley Gotam Shad in Ayu rounded out the rig. The Gotam shads caught me last time I was in the tackle shop and struck me as a dead ringer for the poddies I had sighted the last session.

Success came early in the session, with a broad shouldered 40-something flatty inhaling the shad. Much less stressful landing this one with the 20lb leader. Quick pic and back in the water it went.

image.thumb.png.48e9146808e891d0c9c060b343afb480.png

Rest of the session was largely uneventful, except that I had an FG knot half-unravel on me during the session. I was impressed that it was still holding even though it was unraveling. Note to self: A few more half hitches next time, and maybe a dab of superglue.

I suspect there were a few tailor about. Had a few rat-ta-tat-tat bites on the drop, and there were a few birds about.

Back home to make school lunches and wake everyone up to start getting ready for school and work.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 13

Sounds like a worthwhile trip and a nice little fish as well.

I always finish my FG's with a 3 or 4 turn Rizzuto knot and have never had one unravel.

If you must, use clear nail polish rather than superglue. Superglue dries hard whereas nail polish will remain flexible.

• Like 1

Try just before dawn @Little_Flatty that rock outcrop is a good bit of structure & maybe on the tides work the edges of the points at either end of the bay where the current just kisses the slower water in the bay (eddies) if the bait is there they should be close by. If the boat shed with wooden ramp near the bridges is still there might be good on an outgoing tide fishing back towards the bay

14 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Try just before dawn @Little_Flatty that rock outcrop is a good bit of structure & maybe on the tides work the edges of the points at either end of the bay where the current just kisses the slower water in the bay (eddies) if the bait is there they should be close by. If the boat shed with wooden ramp near the bridges is still there might be good on an outgoing tide fishing back towards the bay

Thanks @61 crusher, I will give that a try. The boat shed has had a big revamp with a little pontoon instead of the ramp.

The jewie chase over the past few months has helped me to up my game quite a bit, from throwing out my previous assumptions and re-testing them with an open mind, gaining more appreciation of currents and being more aware of what bait is in the area. I’m guessing this quest will improve my fishing by at least the amount that getting my first bream on lures did when I was a novice. In spite of the fishlesness, it’s been roaring good fun.