Weiz - anyone used or other rod recomendations?

slothparade

58 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

It is definitely fun,

A net is definitely worth it, I unhook all fish in the net help prevent unwanted lure jewellery 

I have a heavy pair of wire cutters  so in case that happens I can just push the bard through then cut it. Wouldn't be the first time 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, slothparade said:

Side question, should I try hand linning a kingfish? Sounds fun LOL

Ive literally caught tonnes upon tonnes upon tonnes of kingfish on a handline,,only time i really use a rod for them is fishing pinnacles in flow where they movement of water dictates an upward direction of baitfish and for that the jigs come out,,

Slightly older topic but I thought I'd chime in on this one. There was such a reaction against using a heavy rod in the 24kg to 37kg class on a kayak that I thought I'd discuss the opposite view. Firstly I do use a 37kg outfit on my kayak and have for a long time and will continue to do so based on my past experiences. It is a Shakespeare Ugly Stik 5’6” blue water rated to 37kg line. It is matched with an older Spheros 14,000 reel for which I have a 50lb and an 80lb spool.

Why not according to some of the previous posts includes it is too hard to fight a fish from a kayak with such a strong drag. You will flip the kayak. Etc.

First thing to note is the drag is adjustable so just because it is capable of about 20kg of drag I do not have to fight the fish on a locked drag - not even close. I only wind it up (which is barely) just enough to do the job I need it too.

Why do I take it out on the kayak then you may ask. First answer is I already owned it. Second answer is that it is a short rod so the lever is not huge when fighting the fish. The main reason for taking it out is that I can use a very heavy sinker on it without worrying about damaging the rod (and especially the tip) as part of my poor man's down rigger. While slow trolling around headlands etc I can leave it in the rod holder with the drag backed right off for the strike. When I hear that sweet sound of the drag spinning and line peeling off I have a chance to put my other gear away before grabbing the heavy outfit. I've probably hooked more than half my kayak kings on this outfit.

Yes if you snag up you will probably have to cut the line but I haven't had that problem yet.

Just something to consider.....

PS @frankS that is a wonderful offer you made to SP to make him a custom rod which he should get a lifetime of fishing joy out of. RESPECT!!

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

Derek. Not wanting to debate with you Your reason for taking the rod on a yak " because you already have it "" and you use it as a downrigger set up " " and you use it with the drag just touching the washers " , for the want of a better word .

So what ? you use it as a sort of 5/10 kg outfit ? If that. so you can down rig .

The point we are trying to get across to the original poster is that HE does NOT already have the rod and wants to invest in the beast to use on a YAK.

I doubt if he even knows what a downrigger is , let alone use it for that purpose. and he has stated that he does not have a lot of money to throw around, so WHY on earth should HE invest in something that in real life would be completely over kill for the use he wants to use it for.

I personally would be the last person on advising on YAK fishing as I don't have one, I never have and I never will, I wouldn't trust myself in one, I would be belly up more than upright.

But I do know common sense when it comes to fishing and the young inexperienced guy does NOT need a 24/37 kg outfit to fish from a YAK.

Frank

Edited by frankS

On 11/29/2021 at 9:10 AM, slothparade said:

What about the guys that catch sharks from kayaks? its probably not the best idea aye? I would have thought its better to almost free spool, get to a beach and fight it from there (if your reel is big enough I guess) or paddle out place the bait and come back in? 

Whats the benefit of fighting it from a kayak, sounds like a death with to me 

Hey mate,

I have friends who go sharking quite often for big bulls, bronze sharks and the odd great white. It would be alot more comfortable to take the yak to a beach, paddle out to drop the baits and then come back. You can be waiting quite some time for the bite. Better to be rested and comfortable for the long fight.

Most kayak fishos I know (myself included) would not target sharks on kayaks. We only get them as a by catch. Consider how much drag pressure you can apply before the stability of your yak is compromised. In the same token, if you're drag is too lose, you would be in for a long tow before recovering your line back.

As you can see, much better to fight them on land or on boat.

Edited by Yellow Stealth

Also, I am abit suspicious of ebay items that claim to have high grade carbon fibre at that price. Even an unbranded carbon fibre kayak paddle is likely to set me back around $200.  

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

I can understand why you would want to have a heavier rod on the yak so that you can run a heavier sinker. You could definitely get by with a lighter rod.

So I can be more specific with my input as a fellow kayak fisho, how many rods can you store on your kayak? I get the impression  you're looking for a one set up to suit all occasions.

Edited by Yellow Stealth

3 hours ago, Yellow Stealth said:

Also, I am abit suspicious of ebay items that claim to have high grade carbon fibre at that price. Even an unbranded carbon fibre kayak paddle is likely to set me back around $200.  

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

I can understand why you would want to have a heavier rod on the yak so that you can run a heavier sinker. You could definitely get by with a lighter rod.

So I can be more specific with my input as a fellow kayak fisho, how many rods can you store on your kayak? I get the impression  you're looking for a one set up to suit all occasions.

Kind regards 

Alex 

Yeah I was thinking it was a bit of a to good deal. Most things carbon fiber usually isn't cheap.

Yeah I like having the heavy cast weight and because my 2 reels are pretty big and chunky they don't fit on quite a few rods. 

I kind of want a rod that's a bit shorter than my current kingfish rod. And being able to try jigging thought it would be a good idea. 

With my create I can have 9 rods in total but that means no decent sized Esky. 

Thanks 👍

On 1/9/2022 at 3:11 PM, slothparade said:

Yeah I was thinking it was a bit of a to good deal. Most things carbon fiber usually isn't cheap.

Yeah I like having the heavy cast weight and because my 2 reels are pretty big and chunky they don't fit on quite a few rods. 

I kind of want a rod that's a bit shorter than my current kingfish rod. And being able to try jigging thought it would be a good idea. 

With my create I can have 9 rods in total but that means no decent sized Esky. 

Thanks 👍

This is based upon my personal experiences and opinions. Feel free to disagree 

I wouldn't recommend fishing with rods over 7ft on the kayak. Imagine trying to secure/net the fish as its on the side of the kayak. If you have to reach quite far, you risk losing balance. You have to be able to secure the fish while staying balanced.

Why 7ft? This is the longest rod that I can take on my kayak that will fit into my fish/storage hatch. At the same time, I am a still able to comfortably net the fish and secure the rod in the holder. I imagine it would be somewhat more difficult if the rod is longer than 7ft. You could always use a longer net. Nothing wrong with that. I don't use them as they are not convenient for me to quickly pull out of my hatch and use. 

While longer rods do give you more leverage in fighting the fish, I feel as though there's a maximum point to this principle when it comes to kayak fishing. Different to fighting fish on boat and land, you also have to maintain your balance on the yak while fighting the fish. Additionally, as you are in a seated position, the maximum leverage you can apply is also limited. Hence why I feel as though 7ft is the maximum length. 

If you are dropping a bait/livie under a heavy sinker, any rod that can support the weight and is between 6-7ft long will do.  

With regards to jigging, I currently use an Abu Garcia Veritas 3.0 spin jig PE 3-5 matched with fin nor LT 80 spooled with PE 5 braid. Why PE 3-5? I prefer a more mechanical jigging motion when going for kingfish. Also, depending on depths, currents etc, the weight of my jigs will also vary (from 60grams to 160grams +). The weight of the reel is abit heavy but I don't mind as i've gotten use to it. It's recommended that you get a rod that is specific to jigging. My thoughts are that jigging rods are designed to work heavier jigs and impart the desired action. I won't get into rods designed for slow pitch jigging as that's a different topic. 

I think i recall reading that you have a pair of slammer 3 in the 10500 size? If that's the case, finding the right rod to suit the size of your reel may be abit of a challenge. Of course, if you could, i would suggest buying a jigging rod and a new reel to match. There are some on the market that won't hurt the wallet but also are quite good. Being honest, I think your arms will get tired very quickly if you tried to jig with a 10500 slammer 3. My opinion is that it would be better to save some money, do some research on what is available within your budget and progressively acquire the gear that you need rather than making any impulsive purchases only to regret them. 

If you are curious, I would take normally 3-4 rods out on my yak. 1 sabiki rod. 1 soft plastic rod. 1 live bait or slow jig rod and 1 heavier jigging rod. Lately though, I haven't been fishing with live baits and would take my jigging and soft plastic rods. 

Happy to answer any questions you have.

Edited by Yellow Stealth
  • Like 2

I know you are into Penn gear.

Have a look at the Penn Regiment Black Ops 2 7'9'' 15- 25kg rod.

I have the series 1 with a Penn Clash reel.

Great combo.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel

On 1/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, Rebel said:

I know you are into Penn gear.

Have a look at the Penn Regiment Black Ops 2 7'9'' 15- 25kg rod.

I have the series i with a Penn Clash reel.

Great combo.

Chers.

Yeah had a look, can't find any that I can justify the price. Have also been watching the clash second hand but for the same price or more than a slammer 3. Are even been watching the spinfishers, pursuits, saragosas, sedonas, fin nors, battles 2 and 3. I'll do a round every night and morning on Facebook and gumtree watching prices and if something appears like a $100 saragosa, I'll try and get on it as quick as possible, missed that one though. 

I know this is probably a extremely dumb question and feel free to laugh your head off but I couldn't find anything online about this. 

What's stopping you from taking the drag from like a slammer for example and dropping it in a spinfisher SSM, just trim it to fit? Like from my understanding it's a couple of washers/plates that push down on the carbon fibre plate  so yeah 

On 1/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, Yellow Stealth said:

This is based upon my personal experiences and opinions. Feel free to disagree 

I wouldn't recommend fishing with rods over 7ft on the kayak. Imagine trying to secure/net the fish as its on the side of the kayak. If you have to reach quite far, you risk losing balance. You have to be able to secure the fish while staying balanced.

Why 7ft? This is the longest rod that I can take on my kayak that will fit into my fish/storage hatch. At the same time, I am a still able to comfortably net the fish and secure the rod in the holder. I imagine it would be somewhat more difficult if the rod is longer than 7ft. You could always use a longer net. Nothing wrong with that. I don't use them as they are not convenient for me to quickly pull out of my hatch and use. 

While longer rods do give you more leverage in fighting the fish, I feel as though there's a maximum point to this principle when it comes to kayak fishing. Different to fighting fish on boat and land, you also have to maintain your balance on the yak while fighting the fish. Additionally, as you are in a seated position, the maximum leverage you can apply is also limited. Hence why I feel as though 7ft is the maximum length. 

If you are dropping a bait/livie under a heavy sinker, any rod that can support the weight and is between 6-7ft long will do.  

With regards to jigging, I currently use an Abu Garcia Veritas 3.0 spin jig PE 3-5 matched with fin nor LT 80 spooled with PE 5 braid. Why PE 3-5? I prefer a more mechanical jigging motion when going for kingfish. Also, depending on depths, currents etc, the weight of my jigs will also vary (from 60grams to 160grams +). The weight of the reel is abit heavy but I don't mind as i've gotten use to it. It's recommended that you get a rod that is specific to jigging. My thoughts are that jigging rods are designed to work heavier jigs and impart the desired action. I won't get into rods designed for slow pitch jigging as that's a different topic. 

I think i recall reading that you have a pair of slammer 3 in the 10500 size? If that's the case, finding the right rod to suit the size of your reel may be abit of a challenge. Of course, if you could, i would suggest buying a jigging rod and a new reel to match. There are some on the market that won't hurt the wallet but also are quite good. Being honest, I think your arms will get tired very quickly if you tried to jig with a 10500 slammer 3. My opinion is that it would be better to save some money, do some research on what is available within your budget and progressively acquire the gear that you need rather than making any impulsive purchases only to regret them. 

If you are curious, I would take normally 3-4 rods out on my yak. 1 sabiki rod. 1 soft plastic rod. 1 live bait or slow jig rod and 1 heavier jigging rod. Lately though, I haven't been fishing with live baits and would take my jigging and soft plastic rods. 

Happy to answer any questions you have.

Kind regards,

Alex 

I definitely see where your coming from and thanks for the advice.

On my kayak 7ft only just clears the front nose but won't clear the back, especially with the motor. Not saying I don't use up to 7 ft rods, my bream is 5'6. 

As for reaching,y net extends to about 5ft, cheap ALDI job but gets it done. I thought you put the rod back in the holder and free spool while wrapping the leader around your hand to control the fish, is this wrong? 

As for leverage, I see where your coming from but isn't the stiffer (couldn't think of a better way of describing my idea, but definitely don't exactly mean stiffer) the rod the more leverage kinda thing?

By the sound of it I'm guessing you have one of those pro Fisher kayaks without the seat? The gun metal Gray/ dark Gray kayak that's really pointy and speedy?

So how I'm kinda thinking now is should I bring my lever drag setup, Penn squall 50vsw on a 15-25 kg roller tip rod, just to drop down baits? 

I only have 2 slow pitch jigs, they were like $5 each so I thought sweet I'll get a couple of give it a go. They're the savage squish jigs, 120g and 150 I think. Worse comes to worst I'll turn them into a key chain. I tried to get a gomoku rod with a battle 3 4000hs, I don't know because the seller hasn't responded and I don't think he will anytime soon. I was having an interesting chat with some one about his jigging / popping setup, he's using the exact same rod and me, pe8 saltist with the a 10500 sized spinfisher, said it was an absolute beast of a setup, I would like something smaller though. Was thinking about pimping out my spinfisher 950ssm with a power knob and an aftermarket drag washer on a cheap jigging rod or getting a banged up Sedona and doing the same. But I also really like my spinfisher for other things as well so I don't know. 

I was reading another topic on here where someone (I won't throw them under the bus) suggested that they get a 8500-10500 slammer or a 20k saragosa for jigging. 

Until I can find something at the right price point I'm not overly inclined to be changing anything. As nice as the reel seat on the Shimano jewel looks I won't get one 🤣. Maybe of anyone just wants to sell the reel seat only I'll grab it👍

On a side note any tips on how I could get/ make a big freezer bag that flat packs and can be strapped on the front of the kayak? Got going to pay over 20 for a freezer bag when I could get some insolation for $1 and I have a suit bag which I can like that with. 

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. Sorry it took a while for me to formulate my response. 

20 hours ago, slothparade said:

Yeah had a look, can't find any that I can justify the price. Have also been watching the clash second hand but for the same price or more than a slammer 3. Are even been watching the spinfishers, pursuits, saragosas, sedonas, fin nors, battles 2 and 3. I'll do a round every night and morning on Facebook and gumtree watching prices and if something appears like a $100 saragosa, I'll try and get on it as quick as possible, missed that one though. 

I know this is probably a extremely dumb question and feel free to laugh your head off but I couldn't find anything online about this. 

What's stopping you from taking the drag from like a slammer for example and dropping it in a spinfisher SSM, just trim it to fit? Like from my understanding it's a couple of washers/plates that push down on the carbon fibre plate  so yeah 

Not an expert, but is it possible to get carbontex washers for a spinfisher SSM? Or if that isn't available, you can buy the sheets and cut them yourself?

If the slammer is functional, I would have thought it best to leave it alone.

I guess the other question is what you are trying to achieve from changing the reel. Maybe consult a shop that does servicing in-house (PM me if you can't find any) to see how you might achieve your desired outcome. I would have thought upgrading the drag on a spinfisher would be a very well trodden path.

I don't tend to service reels myself (apart from keeping them clean and the odd drop of oil or dab of grease), so let's see what the brains trust say here. I have to say nearly every reel I've had serviced over the years has come back with carbontex washers in them, so the servicing staff clearly like them!

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Not an expert, but is it possible to get carbontex washers for a spinfisher SSM? Or if that isn't available, you can buy the sheets and cut them yourself?

If the slammer is functional, I would have thought it best to leave it alone.

I guess the other question is what you are trying to achieve from changing the reel. Maybe consult a shop that does servicing in-house (PM me if you can't find any) to see how you might achieve your desired outcome. I would have thought upgrading the drag on a spinfisher would be a very well trodden path.

I don't tend to service reels myself (apart from keeping them clean and the odd drop of oil or dab of grease), so let's see what the brains trust say here. I have to say nearly every reel I've had serviced over the years has come back with carbontex washers in them, so the servicing staff clearly like them!

Yeah it's possible to get carbontex drags, but you only squeeze like 20% more drag. I have no intention of pulling parts from the slammer I was just using it as an example. 

I was also told the spinfisher doesn't have enough drag for anything, so I was thinking, slammer has 30 kg, they're about the same size so shouldn't loose that much surface area of any at all so I should be able to push out about 15 to 20 kg at least.  Making it one hell of a kick ass reel, chuck a power knob on, custom made brass gears if needed, and I've just got one hell of a jigging reel, that's smaller than the slammer I have.

I have emailed a few reel mod shops but they either laughed at me and said I was an idiot or wouldn't even reply. I'm guessing this is like dumping a like lambo brakes into a 1970s cadalact, which is possible but an absolute pain

Just adding my two cents.

I have two Okuma spin reels, which I have found very good and tough.

Okuma has released a new one called Rockaway 6000 with a large spool and 15kg drag $139.00 Ten year warranty.

They are sold by the ZMan people.

There is a store in Victoria selling them for $99.95. Google it.

I ordered one.

Cheers.