Weiz - anyone used or other rod recomendations?

slothparade

Im looking at getting a shorter heavy rod now that I have a kayak. At the moment, I have an 8ft heavy rod and it will cause problems, I have been told.

So I have been looking at cheap options, like I don't want to spend much on it as I quite like my main rod and I don't want to replace it. 

I am running a slammer 3 10500. Hoping to do a bit od jigging, bottom bashing, live baiting, floats, strayline ect so yeah. 

I came acrooss these, was wondering if anyone has one or knows how they are. They have good reveiws and are cheap.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143112106600?hash=item2152257268:g:yDYAAOSw0p9fi-Q4

56 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

I'm with Frank, heavy rods and kayaks don't go together especially jigging or bottom bashing

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Not the type of rod suited to kayak, anything you need 24-37 kg to stop, you won't be doing it from a yak.

Frank

Sorry but what's wrong with it? In my research 37 kg seems to be the normal that people are using to target kings and jewies. On YouTube at least.

I'm struggling to find a 24 kg rod that will fit my slammer. Also I can't afford to respool my reel and because I target sharks with it I'm planning on keeping it this way.

2 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Sorry but what's wrong with it? In my research 37 kg seems to be the normal that people are using to target kings and jewies. On YouTube at least.

I'm struggling to find a 24 kg rod that will fit my slammer. Also I can't afford to respool my reel and because I target sharks with it I'm planning on keeping it this way.

The kind of drag pressures tgat warrant a 24+kg rod would likely roll a kayak especially in an up and down fight, unlike a boat, sitting in a kayak you have minimal leverage 

If you intend to target kings etc from a yak you'd be better off with a lighter rig-up and accept the occasional bust-off

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, slothparade said:

From a boat maybe possibly a PWC.

My tinny weighs approx 300+kg with me in it.

I got a snag last time out fishing with a light rod, 3kg drag reel, 10lb braid & 12lb leader.

Tried to reverse off of course but I had to lock the drag to try to break the line & I dragged the boat all the way to the point where the line was near vertical before I could snap the line.

Imagine that with a big fish on & 37kg rod,  & heavy braid & leader, 15kg drag on a vessel that weighs 50kg?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

The kind of drag pressures tgat warrant a 24+kg rod would likely roll a kayak especially in an up and down fight, unlike a boat, sitting in a kayak you have minimal leverage 

If you intend to target kings etc from a yak you'd be better off with a lighter rig-up and accept the occasional bust-off

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

From a boat maybe possibly a PWC.

My tinny weighs approx 300+kg with me in it.

I got a snag last time out fishing with a light rod, 3kg drag reel, 10lb braid & 12lb leader.

Tried to reverse off of course but I had to lock the drag to try to break the line & I dragged the boat all the way to the point where the line was near vertical before I could snap the line.

Imagine that with a big fish on & 37kg rod,  & heavy braid & leader, 15kg drag on a vessel that weighs 50kg?

Should I try dropping down to a 24. I don't know if I can really afford a decent one at the moment. I definitely can't afford to get another decent reel either.

Sometimes I just want to sell the kayak.its becoming way to expensive and just not worth it anymore.i don't want to buy another full set of rods and reels.

Like I want to make what I have work but everything I read says shorter but I can't really afford another decent rod. 

Hi Slothparade, Frank and Dave’s advice is born out of experience - you’d be wise to take it on board. I have a Canadian, a Bass yak and two 16’ ocean Kayaks (one for my wife) (as well as a purpose setup 5.1m quintrex) and although I love yak fishing (any fishing), there is no way, I’d tackle Kingies offshore with even a 24kg outfit. I’d be fishing a 20-40lb (not Kg) and in a shortish rod around 6’. If you want an economy rod that will do the job, but a bit antiquated, I’d go for an Ugly stick (crystal tip) gold or platinum. I’ve got4 or 5 of these and these are the ones that I give to newbies I take out on my boat as they are indestructible and you can pick these up for as little as $70 new and unbreakable and will do the job. I’d be matching this to a 5000- 8000 size reel with 20-30lb braid (or mono). But if you hook a half decent king, hang on and be prepared to be towed around (Hope you’ve got good balance or you’ll be tilted and in for a swim)

All the best with your research.

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 1

If you want at get a heavy rod for kings the I also recommend an Ugly stik but in the Bluewater model USBW-JSP 561XH 24kg PE5 150-300g although 

They also have a 15-24kg model which I think would be better from a Yak USBW-SP 701XH 15-24kg 25-120g

https://www.uglystik.com.au/product/bluewater-rod/

Personally I think a 10-15kg rod/setup is ample from a Yak here in nsw Australia uless your going to take your Yak out to the continental shelf!

As in the link you provided the rod is a 24-37kg "boat" rod.

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Hi Slothparade, Frank and Dave’s advice is born out of experience - you’d be wise to take it on board. I have a Canadian, a Bass yak and two 16’ ocean Kayaks (one for my wife) (as well as a purpose setup 5.1m quintrex) and although I love yak fishing (any fishing), there is no way, I’d tackle Kingies offshore with even a 24kg outfit. I’d be fishing a 20-40lb (not Kg) and in a shortish rod around 6’. If you want an economy rod that will do the job, but a bit antiquated, I’d go for an Ugly stick (crystal tip) gold or platinum. I’ve got4 or 5 of these and these are the ones that I give to newbies I take out on my boat as they are indestructible and you can pick these up for as little as $70 new and unbreakable and will do the job. I’d be matching this to a 5000- 8000 size reel with 20-30lb braid (or mono). But if you hook a half decent king, hang on and be prepared to be towed around (Hope you’ve got good balance or you’ll be tilted and in for a swim)

All the best with your research.

thanks. I really can't afford another slammer or something like that. In my reasearch I have found that my reel is massively overkill but my rods are undergunned and to long. 

Like I found people using 8500 slammers with pe8 ocean assasins, ocean jiggers on pe 8 or 10 custom rods then I also ofund people using much lighter. What I wanted to use was my 15-24kg overhead sutup and my slammer and saltist setup (barely fits but is ok) 

Ill have a look at an ugly stick tho. I don't know if i can afford it at the moment

thanks

10 hours ago, slothparade said:

Sorry I've just had a really crap week.

Everything that could've gone wrong went wrong 

We've all been there mate 

I use 7 foot rods from my kayak all the time, although shorter rods are better for ease of use, as kingie said a 10-15kg would be ok but I wouldn't go any heavier

It's amazing how much fun simple bread and butter type fish are from a yak, a big flathead is damn hard to land.

13 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

We've all been there mate 

I use 7 foot rods from my kayak all the time, although shorter rods are better for ease of use, as kingie said a 10-15kg would be ok but I wouldn't go any heavier

It's amazing how much fun simple bread and butter type fish are from a yak, a big flathead is damn hard to land.

Ill give it ago thanks

yeah its hard but thanks

I recently bought a 6 to 10kg crystal power tip 6 foot for $60 which has a good action in the upper half & a very solid bottom end that I reckon will subdue kings to a meter. Was very impressed with the power & strength of the rod

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 2

Personally I would think a 8-12 kg outfit would be heavy enough for any fish from a YAK, let's face it a 20 kg Kingfish can be stopped and landed with a 8kg rod and reel provided it doesn't reef you on a snag, what's the chance of you hooking anything that will require more than a 12 kg outfit will handle.

Have you ever caught a fish over 10 kg's  that have a bit of fight to it ?.

Do yourself a favor and face reality .

Do yourself another favor and get yourself over to my place and bring your reel with you and I will build you a rod that will suit it. It will take a while to make and it won't be all that fancy, but it will suit what you need.

I could loan you another rod till I finish building your very own custom built rod made with your preferred colors.

And It won't cost you a penny, I will donate it to you simply because I don't want to hear of you being capsized and possibly drowned because you are using unsuitable tackle to catch a fish.

Frank

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, frankS said:

Personally I would think a 8-12 kg outfit would be heavy enough for any fish from a YAK, let's face it a 20 kg Kingfish can be stopped and landed with a 8kg rod and reel provided it doesn't reef you on a snag, what's the chance of you hooking anything that will require more than a 12 kg outfit will handle.

Have you ever caught a fish over 10 kg's  that have a bit of fight to it ?.

Do yourself a favor and face reality .

Do yourself another favor and get yourself over to my place and bring your reel with you and I will build you a rod that will suit it. It will take a while to make and it won't be all that fancy, but it will suit what you need.

I could loan you another rod till I finish building your very own custom built rod made with your preferred colors.

And It won't cost you a penny, I will donate it to you simply because I don't want to hear of you being capsized and possibly drowned because you are using unsuitable tackle to catch a fish.

Frank

No way thanks sooooooooo much. 

I would have though atleast a 15-24 kg rod minimum. I guess after I snapped.

Yep i have, took me a while to get in and I did my shoulder again.

Thanks, I definately will, could you please teach me how to do it, I always wanted to do my own but could justify the price or the time. 

Please let me pay for it, the blanks alone are stupid.

Thanks