Weiz - anyone used or other rod recomendations?

slothparade

4 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Sorry everyone, I really appreciate the help and advice. I didn't mean any disrecpt at all. Im just not in the right hesd space at the moment due to external factors, nothing to do with fishing at all. 

Thanks everyone

Everyone has problems @slothparade in fact lots come here to be amongst other fishos to get a break from life's challenges. 

You are in a good space here :fisher:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Sorry everyone, I really appreciate the help and advice. I didn't mean any disrecpt at all. Im just not in the right hesd space at the moment due to external factors, nothing to do with fishing at all. 

Thanks everyone

Mate, nothing you've written warrants an apology

Have a good chat with Frank he's a wealth of knowledge and experience 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slothparade said:

Thanks everyone

I think any of us can get fixated on something & think that where is only the one solution or the one thing I need to buy & its the only option.

That's why this forum is so good as sometimes it just take a bit of honest advice to help you realise maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way.

Dont worry I have bought things that I just thought yep this is what I really need, maybe didn't do enough research or again just fixated by this shiny thing on the internet & then when it arrived I though.............why did I end up getting this when it overkill or not the right solution & end up selling it (at a loss) to then have to buy what I should have originally.

I have outfits ranging from 1-3kg to 37kg & if I was go out on a Yak to chase kings then the ones I would be picking up would be the ones in 4-6kg & 10-15kg range.

As with most fishing the lighter you fish generally the more fish you will catch, as the guys mentioned you could get busted of on occasions, if need be with a lighter outfit you can still up the leader size to give yourself a better chance.

Most good braids will have 20%+ more breaking strain than what's on the label anyway, at the end of the day if your not tying a decent knot then you will be reducing the strain which is another subject.

At the end of the day dont rush your decision, just do the background research from multiple sources.

Good luck with your decision.

I've posted this before ... but you don't need expensive or very big big gear to catch fish .. you need to be in the right place ... (and maintain your gear ! )

70kg stripey

image.png.556c11525398089497d0b11657cf17cb.png

On 

image.png.2846bc1e23ee290d68b856261dec562a.png

Matched to ... (very much like what @61 crusher recommended but the Penn version)

image.png.2d9a85da61a366b71b49e8c6bb36163b.png

I think this set up is now being sold by that A-snake-onda shop for just over $100 .... although I paid much more than that many years ago just for the reel.

This rig has accounted for many, kings, dollies, salmon, bonnies etc etc etc and still going strong.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

I've posted this before ... but you don't need expensive or very big big gear to catch fish .. you need to be in the right place ... (and maintain your gear ! )

70kg stripey

image.png.556c11525398089497d0b11657cf17cb.png

On 

image.png.2846bc1e23ee290d68b856261dec562a.png

Matched to ... (very much like what @61 crusher recommended but the Penn version)

image.png.2d9a85da61a366b71b49e8c6bb36163b.png

I think this set up is now being sold by that A-snake-onda shop for just over $100 .... although I paid much more than that many years ago just for the reel.

This rig has accounted for many, kings, dollies, salmon, bonnies etc etc etc and still going strong.

Cheers Zoran

LMAO, im not a fan of that shop. 

I really like that reel but I don't know like i have a tr200g and a big squall so I guess this will kind of replace my tr200g?

But they do look great and Ill definately think about it again. 

Thanks

12 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I think any of us can get fixated on something & think that where is only the one solution or the one thing I need to buy & its the only option.

That's why this forum is so good as sometimes it just take a bit of honest advice to help you realise maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way.

Dont worry I have bought things that I just thought yep this is what I really need, maybe didn't do enough research or again just fixated by this shiny thing on the internet & then when it arrived I though.............why did I end up getting this when it overkill or not the right solution & end up selling it (at a loss) to then have to buy what I should have originally.

I have outfits ranging from 1-3kg to 37kg & if I was go out on a Yak to chase kings then the ones I would be picking up would be the ones in 4-6kg & 10-15kg range.

As with most fishing the lighter you fish generally the more fish you will catch, as the guys mentioned you could get busted of on occasions, if need be with a lighter outfit you can still up the leader size to give yourself a better chance.

Most good braids will have 20%+ more breaking strain than what's on the label anyway, at the end of the day if your not tying a decent knot then you will be reducing the strain which is another subject.

At the end of the day dont rush your decision, just do the background research from multiple sources.

Good luck with your decision.

Haha yeah I impulse buy all the time. 

Im going to take frank up on his offer but I want to pay when I can because its not right not to. I guess it comes from the fact that people kept telling me my gear was to light and I broke a few rods that I just went to the extreme

Im still hoping to use the slammer though and drop down the leader a bit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Haha yeah I impulse buy all the time. 

Im going to take frank up on his offer but I want to pay when I can because its not right not to. I guess it comes from the fact that people kept telling me my gear was to light and I broke a few rods that I just went to the extreme

Im still hoping to use the slammer though and drop down the leader a bit.

I will be happy to build you the rod, and I will try and make it look the goods and even do a fancy wrap on it if you like.

But I am pretty sure it will not be used, as you will simply realize it's just too much poundage for your needs.

IF you intend to go L B G fishing for huge critters that frequent our coast, then yes this rod will be in it's prime, but not from a YAK.

You could always hang it on a wall.

I have a 10kg Shimano Beast master rod here that would stop any king that you are likely to encounter , but still I wouldn't be locking the drag from a YAK.

Frank

Edited by frankS

You start with a blank, determine backbone , buy all components needed, reel seat grips, eyes, thread, epoxies etc and then set rod up to how everything is going to line up . 

Masking tape around blank to take up slop between blank and grips, araldite grips , reel seat etc on, bend blank and determine where eyes need to be place in rod lathe or at least rollers  and wrap eyes on.

All sounds very simple but process is pretty complicated and much detail needs to be learnt.

The Advantages ? well you end up with something nobody else has an exact copy of . Other than that it's just the fact that it was made for you.

Custom rods are built with love.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, frankS said:

I will be happy to build you the rod, and I will try and make it look the goods and even do a fancy wrap on it if you like.

But I am pretty sure it will not be used, as you will simply realize it's just too much poundage for your needs.

IF you intend to go L B G fishing for huge critters that frequent our coast, then yes this rod will be in it's prime, but not from a YAK.

You could always hang it on a wall.

I have a 10kg Shimano Beast master rod here that would stop any king that you are likely to encounter , but still I wouldn't be locking the drag from a YAK.

Frank

Maybe should I do some trial and error? 

I really don't know what weight now. Like 12kg sounds so light LOL 

I haven't really tried LBG fishing, wouldn't mind 

unfortunately wont fit my slammer

Bud -you are getting all sorts of wires crossed here-12 kg line isnt fished with 12kg of drag , set the drag at 3-4 kg and there aint a fish in the harbour you cant land. Kings are a problem at times not becuase they fight super hard or are super fast its because their instinct when hooked is to crash dive into structure. A marlin or tuna is much bigger , faster and meaner and ive landed plenty on 8,10, 15 and 24 kg line and we religiously set the drag-with scales through the rod at ONE THIRD of the line breaking strain-fighting fish is about soft hands, side strain, knowing when to apply pressure and when not to. LEARN to ANGLE the fish, the reel is not a winch and heavier gear isnt always the solution. From a ýak a bigger fish will tow you even with light gear,you cant STOP the fish. If Frank has offered to build you a rod take the reel round to him -there are heaps of seat options that will fit any reel.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, frankS said:

You start with a blank, determine backbone , buy all components needed, reel seat grips, eyes, thread, epoxies etc and then set rod up to how everything is going to line up . 

Masking tape around blank to take up slop between blank and grips, araldite grips , reel seat etc on, bend blank and determine where eyes need to be place in rod lathe or at least rollers  and wrap eyes on.

All sounds very simple but process is pretty complicated and much detail needs to be learnt.

The Advantages ? well you end up with something nobody else has an exact copy of . Other than that it's just the fact that it was made for you.

Custom rods are built with love.

Frank

Serious fun to be had @maccapacca.  I built my first rod at 16, with guidance from a tackle shop, but haven’t built once since. I did start thinking dangerous rod building thoughts during lockdown. I will see how it pans out when I have uni off my hands.

56 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Breaking rods while fighting fish should be a rarity. It’s either a defect in your rods or an issue with technique or setup (e.g. drag). I’ve only ever broken rods through stupidity, of the non fishing kind. Think car doors, garage rafters, stepping on them and the like…

One of the times I was getting spooled, down to the last 50m or so. I locked the drag just trying to get line back on and the rod snapped.

My telescopic beach rod keeps getting shorter because the garage door. Cost me more in tops than I got the rod for. Found it on the road hahah

12 hours ago, maccapacca said:

Apologies if this is obvious, but what are the benefits of custom rod building.I’m assuming it’s the ability to choose the blank and everything?

There's a few reasons. The main one is to get something that you can't currently get on the market. For instance, with my light baitcasters, I have always wanted a shorter grip behind the trigger - not much more length than the size of my hand. Something like this, but a modern incarnation with a normal reel seat: image.png.d7c58ad411a2524ba03ae37d95e4f352.png

This isn't really available on the market right now and that was what I was thinking of building. But honestly I won't have the time to do it justice for at least another year.

Then, like @frankS says, no one else will have the same rod as you. You can really get quite artistic with the binding to create pretty chevrons and the like.

Finally, there is the fact that building your own rod is really quite satisfying in its own right. The only rod I have built is nothing special - just a plain fibreglass bait fishing rod. I pursued it only out of curiosity and was lucky that I had someone to mentor me through it. I will never forget the keeper bream I caught with it on the first cast. Also, it is still very much in active use, 24 years later...it's my dad's main bait rod.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 6:48 PM, maccapacca said:

Apologies if this is obvious, but what are the benefits of custom rod building.I’m assuming it’s the ability to choose the blank and everything?

Lots of more experienced folks than me on here but can't resist a "back in the old days" post.  Fishing stores - mine was the old Graham's in North Narrabeen - used to have 100's of blanks of all sizes and wraps of fibreglass.  Many more blanks than made up rods.  Folks running the shop were real fisherman and were happy to give recommendations and of course sell the kit to build the rod.  I built half a dozen or so when I was still at school in the 70's.  They weren't super great to look at but catching fish on a rod you made yourself was very satisfying.  My favourite was a yellow CR5126FT blank.  Still have it thought the top 12 inches is long gone.  Added a 6" sand spike and used orange binding - paired with an Alvey 55A and 10 lb line.  

Sorry for the self indulgence but enjoyed those days!

• Like 3

@Dee Why Jim I might be self indulgent too.

I had rods specially made for me over 15 years ago and I still use them. 

The pink one with holographic titanium guides was pretty 😍

Then came the one built by Tony Davis at Fishfinder Rodworks.
The Mrsswordfisherman Special - “Bass Battler” complete with full titaniums and a red gannet reel seat direct from Japan!!

Swordie bought me the Fireblood 2500 FA for a birthday present to complete the outfit 😎👍👏

8EEA5FB3-1F6A-46FD-B255-EB8BB1C7FDD8.jpeg

2168564C-E77D-4828-B5E0-8F86843D562D.jpeg

A6ACCD42-E58C-47F1-898E-49A2C76CCB05.jpeg

DC54E54A-8D62-410D-ACA4-E5ACC22180E1.jpeg

6D584F8C-89D5-4C4D-9199-F9455F032B04.jpeg

5C5F1BAB-C8E7-41A3-B2DA-2CCE2AB28FB1.jpeg

• Like 2

What about the guys that catch sharks from kayaks? its probably not the best idea aye? I would have thought its better to almost free spool, get to a beach and fight it from there (if your reel is big enough I guess) or paddle out place the bait and come back in? 

Whats the benefit of fighting it from a kayak, sounds like a death with to me 

10 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Dee Why Jim I might be self indulgent too.

I had rods specially made for me over 15 years ago and I still use them. 

The pink one with holographic titanium guides was pretty 😍

Then came the one built by Tony Davis at Fishfinder Rodworks.
The Mrsswordfisherman Special - “Bass Battler” complete with full titaniums and a red gannet reel seat direct from Japan!!

Swordie bought me the Fireblood 2500 FA for a birthday present to complete the outfit 😎👍👏

8EEA5FB3-1F6A-46FD-B255-EB8BB1C7FDD8.jpeg

2168564C-E77D-4828-B5E0-8F86843D562D.jpeg

A6ACCD42-E58C-47F1-898E-49A2C76CCB05.jpeg

DC54E54A-8D62-410D-ACA4-E5ACC22180E1.jpeg

6D584F8C-89D5-4C4D-9199-F9455F032B04.jpeg

5C5F1BAB-C8E7-41A3-B2DA-2CCE2AB28FB1.jpeg

On 11/28/2021 at 7:41 AM, Little_Flatty said:

There's a few reasons. The main one is to get something that you can't currently get on the market. For instance, with my light baitcasters, I have always wanted a shorter grip behind the trigger - not much more length than the size of my hand. Something like this, but a modern incarnation with a normal reel seat: image.png.d7c58ad411a2524ba03ae37d95e4f352.png

This isn't really available on the market right now and that was what I was thinking of building. But honestly I won't have the time to do it justice for at least another year.

Then, like @frankS says, no one else will have the same rod as you. You can really get quite artistic with the binding to create pretty chevrons and the like.

Finally, there is the fact that building your own rod is really quite satisfying in its own right. The only rod I have built is nothing special - just a plain fibreglass bait fishing rod. I pursued it only out of curiosity and was lucky that I had someone to mentor me through it. I will never forget the keeper bream I caught with it on the first cast. Also, it is still very much in active use, 24 years later...it's my dad's main bait rod.

Love the rods by the way. especially the handles. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, slothparade said:

What about the guys that catch sharks from kayaks? its probably not the best idea aye? I would have thought its better to almost free spool, get to a beach and fight it from there (if your reel is big enough I guess) or paddle out place the bait and come back in? 

Whats the benefit of fighting it from a kayak, sounds like a death with to me 

The idea of kayak fishing for monster fish is it's extreme, you have no weight or leverage so you're at the mercy of where the fish wants to swim, there's almost no margin for error especially when said beast is up near the yak, if a medium sized murray cod can near ake my kayak plain along imagine what a shark could do.

You always need a plan for landing bigger fish, personally I'll shore land them for safety and believe me I learned this the hard way

2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

The idea of kayak fishing for monster fish is it's extreme, you have no weight or leverage so you're at the mercy of where the fish wants to swim, there's almost no margin for error especially when said beast is up near the yak, if a medium sized murray cod can near ake my kayak plain along imagine what a shark could do.

You always need a plan for landing bigger fish, personally I'll shore land them for safety and believe me I learned this the hard way

yeah sounds like a good idea.

what if you wear the fish out completely?  Like in the case of your cod, I know its not the most ethical but safety first I guess. i know a shark keeps roughly 10% in reserve. Im not going to try and catch the, from a kayak. Im definately going to let them run while I get to shore. 

How fun is it to get dragged around? It looks like so much fun. If your dressed as santa with a red kayak, could be fisho santa 

How useful is a net? I bought one fro aldi for $20, almost the exact same as the $80 from a shop 

1 hour ago, slothparade said:

yeah sounds like a good idea.

what if you wear the fish out completely?  Like in the case of your cod, I know its not the most ethical but safety first I guess. i know a shark keeps roughly 10% in reserve. Im not going to try and catch the, from a kayak. Im definately going to let them run while I get to shore. 

How fun is it to get dragged around? It looks like so much fun. If your dressed as santa with a red kayak, could be fisho santa 

How useful is a net? I bought one fro aldi for $20, almost the exact same as the $80 from a shop 

It is definitely fun,

A net is definitely worth it, I unhook all fish in the net help prevent unwanted lure jewellery 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

It is definitely fun,

A net is definitely worth it, I unhook all fish in the net help prevent unwanted lure jewellery 

surely free pericing 👍

get the bouns of having a pet attached to 

up yeahdefinately looking foward to getting toed