Reinforcing a fish catch bag / insulated cooler bag / kill bag

anthman

Hi all, I recently got a 1m long insulated fish catch bag (which you use for fish too long for a conventional eski) and want to reinforce the inside against spikes and sharp parts of fish that it will (hopefully!) hold.

I went out to bunnings and got a sheet of clear vinyl used on tabletops which I think will so the job but keen to hear your experiences in using these bags, where the damage usually occurs, any tips etc... so that I can get the most out of this bag.

Thanks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, frankS said:

I guess the laminate will stiffen the bag so it will not fold up to store away when not being used. If by chance it is very flexible and does fold up then it's a great idea.

Frank

Good point, it is somewhat flexible but definitely adds stiffness - might have to cut in a certain way so that it can fold along a length easier - maybe like two long panels , one for each internal side.

Our fish bag is invalluable in our smaller boat & also in a mates 6.15m. We all have this issue so am interested in your solution. In regards to wear & tear the outside corners cop a hiding and we have insulated with gorilla tape or similar as the bags tend to slide around in the boat & everywhere else. Definitely recommend protecting the outside corners. Internally we have used glue & patches as the issue arises. Like your preventative approach. Keep us posted please.

I think gorilla tape on the corners sounds like an easy and effective way to bolster the corners/edges pre-emptively, so might do that. 

Here is what vinyl layer looks like on the inside - a 0.98m X 0.98m sheet that is slid in to match the inside curvature. It's not attached or anything as I plan for it to come out when cleaning and drying, maybe roll it up when storing away so I can fold the bag. When inside the bag, it doesnt fold without putting some worrying creases on the vinyl so don't think I'll be folding the bag with vinyl inside. Seems like it will do the job - the only internal exposed are is the front and back.

20211207_210829.jpg

Eva plastic?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-450mm-white-colour-plastic-liner_p2583492?store=7313&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqbyNBhC2ARIsALDwAsB8qNDfGG4teF1elxcOTngKR7uOcaJtuThCnw3LtnRV5chSpTF-q4AaAh0hEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If it was big fish like tuna or kingfish etc maybe rather than trying to reline the inside of the bag what about simply wrapping the fish in some other material like hessian so as to keep the fins down?

49 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Eva plastic?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-450mm-white-colour-plastic-liner_p2583492?store=7313&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqbyNBhC2ARIsALDwAsB8qNDfGG4teF1elxcOTngKR7uOcaJtuThCnw3LtnRV5chSpTF-q4AaAh0hEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If it was big fish like tuna or kingfish etc maybe rather than trying to reline the inside of the bag what about simply wrapping the fish in some other material like hessian so as to keep the fins down?

Great idea! I do like the affordability of Eva, maybe one that was smooth flat so that it would be easier to clean. Reckon it would be tough enough to resist sharp bits?

Wrapping is also an option.

Great post. Watching with interest as well, as I carry a fish bag for bigger stuff since the last blue eye just fit into the esky. 
I like the vinyl and the Eva solutions so far ( btw Eva is smooth on one side and dimpled on the other). . But up until now my plan was just to wrap spiky fish in old towels that I carry on board anyway. 
cheers Zoran 

i havent caught enough big fish so keen to get your experience @kingie chaser - reckon the EVA sheet is thick enough to protect the inside layer? i went with vinyl originally as its pretty thick but soft enough to absorb/stretch from scrapes and stabs so thought it would be a good material.

5 hours ago, anthman said:

i havent caught enough big fish so keen to get your experience @kingie chaser - reckon the EVA sheet is thick enough to protect the inside layer? i went with vinyl originally as its pretty thick but soft enough to absorb/stretch from scrapes and stabs so thought it would be a good material.

I have no idea mate, just throwing suggestions out there. Never used one of those bags & I'd say they will all be different base on brand & coin spent.

Id imagine the dearer ones might be thicker & maybe have some sort of webbing? 

These things to me are trial & error & the EVA material is cheap & a perfect size but you have to put your hands on it & feel it to see if it will suit.

When researching stuff on the net I often think yeh that will do the job, then I get to the store & often find that its actually not what I am looking for.

At least now we can actually go & "feel" stuff at the store. 

During lockdown I ordered a few small tackle items from the big snake store which was just click & collect no instore purchases allowed 🙄, picked it up, went home & thought well this isnt actually what I wanted.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1