Double sided tape for rod/drink holders?

Salvatore

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has used double sided tape for fixing rod holders or cup holders etc under their gunnels/on their consoles? I am nervous about corrosion and adding holes to the boat so I picked up a roll of 3M Scoth Mount double sided tape that is rated to 30lb/13.6kg to try out. Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with something like this and whether it works ok?

Cheers,

Salvatore

The 3M is some of the best tapes made out there!

My 4 window weather shields on my 4x4 are held onto the car with 3M double sided tape & the wind rain forces of going 110kph cant even pull them off, been there 7 years now!

The biggest factor would be the surface & the preparation.

Fresh duco cleaned with metho makes a pretty good contact surface.

As long as you had a very clean smooth highly polished surface I recon it would work fine.

Salt degradation could be a long term factor thought? 

• Thanks 1

I have used double sided tape for light applications like microphone mounts.  Meant to be temporary to try location but worked so well I left it.  I also used the thin film type with no foam padding to mount rubber pads for knees inside gunnels.  

Make sure back of what you're mounting is flat as some have a ridge on edge.  I also clean all surfaces with wax and grease remover thats used for spray painting.   Worth a try.  Good luck.  Ron 

• Thanks 1