Enjoyable couple of hours on the rocks.

Killer

After many months, my mate John and I managed to get a day to go and fish our local rock platform. Forecast didn't quite pan out as predicted, with a moderate southerly and the predicted .5m swell lumped up to 2m at times. Never the less, it has taken a long time to get here, so it was a 'go'. I had to rig up, but John was already floating a bait before I even had the leader through the runners. Straight onto a fish. I tied my hook on and set up my float as he was landing his second fish. Too good to dawdle around, so I cast in with an immediate hookup. We had to backpedal a few times with some of the bigger swells, but the action was hot. We only fished for 2 hours and John had 6 fish with one dropped, whilst I ended up with 9 and 3 dropped. The conditions were improving rapidly, with smoother seas and the wind dropped right off. Left them biting. John got busted off on a fish and reeled in. I was drifting close by and got a savage down, hooking up and landing it. When I removed my hook, I saw 5cm of line hanging out of its mouth, so removed that hook as well, only to see a fresh bait and a shiny new Daiichi hook come out. It was the fish that busted JD only a minute previously. Guess they don't go into shock, once they are hooked and get released, as this one just continued to feed. No berley used to get them on the bite and there were a few big pigs around as well. We both kept a few for a feed and got back to the car all too soon.

IMG_3219.JPG

• Like 6