Fishing in our driveway

bessell1955

Good evening.  Well the Hawkesbury went down for a short period of time, but Mother Nature sent down some top ups to get the level to rise again.  We have water running through out garage and I am sure that I saw a couple of mullet swim out and head down the driveway.  There are few eels swimming around the submerged septic tank and when I moved some garbage bins a couple of Carp took off.

So I have decided to bait some lines and turn this flood into a positive   I mean I just have to throw the link out the back door and the flow will take it down the driveway.  Anyway our house is still high and dry and we have the power on, so we are doing all right.  Not like some other poor buggers..:depression:

• Like 12

Part and parcel of living near water,in the bush,cyclone affected areas,etc,etc is everyone knows the risk.

My driveway is a mud bath on my property.Our horses have had enough too they told me.

Stay safe mate.

• Like 1

Thank you all for you kind replies.  The water is still rising and I thought I may have seen a Bull shark cruising around the front of the house but on closer inspection I saw it was a Bull from next property.  Stay dry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

River still on the rise, house still safe and dry. No more rain please, we have had enough. :thumbdown:

Plenty of residents are being evacuated down my way as St Georges Basin continues to rise.

Going by the forecast, things are supposed to improve this evening thank heavens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

River still on the rise, house still safe and dry. No more rain please, we have had enough. :thumbdown:

Tell me about it 😩

Maybe we should all do a collective whatever-the-opposite-of-rain-dance-is dance? I'll try anything at this stage

Good to hear you're safe and dry. Hopefully it stays that way 👍

I thought England was a wet place! Australia certainly is a land of extremes...drought, floods, fires, more floods.

I sincerely hope that you, your family and your community manage to stay safe bessell1955. Take care mate, bn

• Like 1

Thank you Neil, we have indeed maaged to stay dry.  Many have not and those are the ones I feel for.  Due to the floods I taught at a different school today and the students had many and at some times sad tales to tell.  This flood has a long rage effect upon the young and they are the ones that need reassurance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

@bessell1955 How are you doing with the current rainfall? Road closures here at Londonderry again. Very sad to see people go through the same situation 12 months apart, and some again just a short time again after that too. Must be extremely demoralising.

Taking the time to listen to your students and affording them an audience would be very helpful. Having their thoughts and feelings heard by an adult that is listening intently can be very comforting, and can go a long way toward healing and restoration. I'm sure they would very much appreciate it.

I'm feeling fortunate to be "high and soggy", and not inundated. We lost power for several hours the other week, and the driveway is looking pretty shabby, but there's certainly no complaints. 

Glad to see humour is helping you through. Your commentary of the situation made me smile. We had kids paddling kayaks down the street recently. They were making the best of the situation, and community spirit has been alive and well with people helping each other.