Port hacking squid

Restyle

Headed out port hacking towards bundeena/jibbon for a bait gathering trip. I put The kayak in tea coloured water at 2pm and headed over to bundeena/jibbon. Water was murky but not to bad off jibbon. Flicked squid jigs around for 3 hours for absolutely nothing, a lot of bait fish busting up but I didn’t bring any hooks, bait etc.

heading in I stumbled upon a very thick and very hungry school of kings just inside of the mouth of gunnamatta in the channel where the ferry runs. Easily a few hundred meters of fish flying out of the water smashing bait.
now I was really kicking myself for not bringing anything besides squid jigs. It was hard to paddle through them just watching them breaking the surface around me, quite surreal in all honesty. Now I’m kinda tempted for a king trip tomorrow 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

Should have whacked them with the paddle. I went through the harbour one time, following huge bait busting, big buggers were going right under the boat. Incredible to see...

😁

Paddles are a emergency item, I have a pedal drive, good exercise not like I needed it, but a good day out though with abit of excitement at the end. I was going to put my landing net in the water to see if one would be dumb enough to swim in but I worried about loosing my net 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Restyle said:

Headed out port hacking towards bundeena/jibbon for a bait gathering trip. I put The kayak in tea coloured water at 2pm and headed over to bundeena/jibbon. Water was murky but not to bad off jibbon. Flicked squid jigs around for 3 hours for absolutely nothing, a lot of bait fish busting up but I didn’t bring any hooks, bait etc.

heading in I stumbled upon a very thick and very hungry school of kings just inside of the mouth of gunnamatta in the channel where the ferry runs. Easily a few hundred meters of fish flying out of the water smashing bait.
now I was really kicking myself for not bringing anything besides squid jigs. It was hard to paddle through them just watching them breaking the surface around me, quite surreal in all honesty. Now I’m kinda tempted for a king trip tomorrow 

I pm'd the kings to let them know they can come out and play Yowie isn't there.Good stuff getting out mate.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Restyle said:

Hi Restyle, it always happens when you decide not to bring your gear along. Even though it’s a hassle I always take a bit of everything as plans can change on the water. A bit limited for space on a kayak though.

I was around there in the morning and got onto a few of them.  Good fun - I’ll try and get a report up.

Also tried for some squid, but the choccy water is no good.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Shame you did not have another rod, though, if the kings were  that  hungry, I'm sure they would have grabbed the squid jig.

the usually end up ripping the barbs of the jig out, have had it happen a few times where a king grabs the jig and zips off with  it 

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hi Restyle, it always happens when you decide not to bring your gear along. Even though it’s a hassle I always take a bit of everything as plans can change on the water. A bit limited for space on a kayak though.

I was around there in the morning and got onto a few of them.  Good fun - I’ll try and get a report up.

Also tried for some squid, but the choccy water is no good.

space isnt an issue, its the extra time to bring it, load it up etc. I was just so confident that ill get a squid, I usually do bring all my tackle incase of a school of slimies or whatever but the one time i don't i could've easily gotten 20 kings in an hour