Mosman Bay - quick session

Little_Flatty

Seeing some reports come in over the past few days had me green with envy…just going fishing, let alone catching any fish!

So last night a plan was hatched for a pre-dawn session at Mosman Bay. Last time I was there, my daughter and I scored a nice bream on bread, but when I was there, I really was just scoping out the luring potential of this location. It has all the structure that should hold good fish.

Arrived at 5.30am and started off throwing a 1/8oz TT switchblade in brown at the drop off near the marina. Lots of tailor around, I could feel them attacking the lure on the drop.

On the second cast, I connected with a nice little bream:

2EEC75F5-FD37-4634-A411-BBD026D326B6.thumb.jpeg.f3f5b57eac0193b021749631bb76de39.jpeg

Put it into the cooler for my grandma. I really should be giving her more fresh fish, I sometimes forget how much she enjoys it. Even a bag of yakkas is much savoured and appreciated. So long as it’s fresh!

After that I explored a little more, but didn’t connect with anything else. Alas, home time came around quickly and it was time to get home for kids swimming lessons.

The cruel thing about this time of the year is that all of my early sessions are conducted in darkness, and I need to head home just on sunrise. Ah well, scratched the itch, so I was happy enough.

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

You should have a go @Isaac Ct. You’d be surprised what you can do with them. They are a perfect size for bread and butter luring.

Might have to, I have a block of assignments coming up for school so maybe during the holidays🤞. But of course, if the opportunity presents itself..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Might have to, I have a block of assignments coming up for school so maybe during the holidays🤞. But of course, if the opportunity presents itself..

Yep, I know what that feels like...😩

Except I finish uni this year (hopefully for the last time ever, thank goodness!). Look out fish!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
49 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Do you think it would be effective to fish the area from a kayak? Thinking of casting a couple MMD soft prawns and maybe a squid jig from the kayak to see what I can land.From google earth the structure looks decent.

Regards, Macca

Macca I’d defer to @DerekD on that front. It is calm but such a small area that I’d sooner fish it land based even if I had a kayak.

Hi @maccapacca.

First thing to be aware of about Mosman bay is the ferry traffic. The ferries come around Cremorne point point from Cremorne wharf and then cut over the bay to South Mosman (Musgrave street wharf) then back over to the other side of the bay to old Cremorne wharf and then finish at Mosman wharf. On the weekend they arrive there at about 20 past the hour and then head back out the same way they came in but in reverse. While there is only one ferry per hour the fact that it makes a return trip means you have to watch out for them twice. During peak hours on weekdays there are two ferries per hour coming in and out of the bay. The pilots are good and careful but you don't want to be lazily paddling up the bay and then hearing that really loud horn as they warn you to get out of the way. Watch the path they take and be aware of them and you shouldn't really have a problem. From South Mosman wharf into the bay is a no wash zone so you shouldn't get swamped by wake. There are other boats which use the bay but they shouldn't cause you a problem either.

The good news is that it is usually sheltered from the wind or at least you should be able to find a spot to fish out of the wind on most days. There are also several areas where there are plenty of boats moored which gives you plenty of options to fish. There are toilet facilities and a cafe at Mosman wharf.

In the corner of the back of the bay closest to Cremorne is a small beach and drop off. Some people I know like to fish that for flathead. On the left hand side heading towards South Mosman wharf is a nice long area to fish along the rock wall and moored boats.

More to follow later.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

Hi @maccapacca

Something else just came to mind and this is applicable to a lot of the waters in Sydney and elsewhere. This time of year is nesting time for seagulls. They will often pick the least used moored boats to build a nest on.

If you get near to one of these nests they will get rather narky at you and then harass you till you go away. Sometimes they will dive bomb you but almost all the time they will only be faking it and so will pull out about 1m or so at the at the closest. I've only ever heard of one person being hit but they were on the boat that had the nest. Sometimes they will try and drop a shit on you - I haven't been hit by one of those yet but there is always a chance.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

That’s perfect, Will definetly pay attention to the ferry traffic aswell as all the other boats, the marina also looks great for structure and I also checked Navionics.Which gave me an indication on which area I’d be more inclined to fish, but I’ll probably see how it is the day I get there and choose my spots in the bay from that.

Thanks once again for the time and effort you put into sharing all the knowledge you have have-Macca

It's a good area Macca. The structure screams fish. I've never ventured beyond the narrow back section of the bay, so some exploring might be in order when my schedule frees up a bit in November.

Good to see you starting to research new spots based on Navionics and looking at structure. When you start doing that, you'll realise that 'secret spots' exist everywhere.

1 minute ago, DerekD said:

Hi @maccapacca

Something else just came to mind and this is applicable to a lot of the waters in Sydney and elsewhere. This time of year is nesting time for seagulls. They will often pick the least used moored boats to build a nest on.

If you get near to one of these nests they will get rather narky at you and then harass you till you go away. Sometimes they will dive bomb you but almost all the time they will only be faking it and so will pull out about 1m or so at the at the closest. I've only ever heard of one person being hit but they were on the boat that had the nest. Sometimes they will try and drop a shit on you - I haven't been hit by one of those yet but there is always a chance.

The magpies of fishing...I never knew!

Hi Guys,

I fish there reasonably frequently from my Kayak. As expected Derek D has given A+ information.

I tend to move around a lot and make it most of the way up to cremorne point. It can get a bit rough and windy that far up.

A couple of good spots are out in front of the rowing (or is it sailing club?) club in amongst the moored boats. Pretty shallow but a lot of trevally and Tailor. I stay within the line of boats otherwise you'll get in the way of the ferry coming from old Cremorne.

Flathead hang out in the channel in front of old Cremorne wharf (can be reached from the wharf itself). There are often a few good bust ups there. Hope this helps a bit

thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan.f said:

@Little_Flatty think I might of seen you mate I popped down for 30 mins before dark for a quick bit of fishing. Seen you land the bream. I was fishing just down from you closer the the wharf

Hi Ryan,

Can't have been me unfortunately :(. I haven't been there for some months!

Hopefully we do cross paths! In a couple of months I'll be freed up a lot (finishing uni, so will only have work and family on my plate!)

Mike