Hull options? Dilemma.

Belligero

Hi All,

Long post;

I have an old 5m fiberglass
runabout boat which is well build and solid. I enjoy the ride and I'm able to handle it by myself. The boat currently has no motor as the previous motor had mechanical issues that were too costly to repair considering the age of the motor.

I'm a bit lost on the best way forward from here;

On one hand I enjoy this hull however there are a couple of small things that concern me like the wind screen needs to be replaced and fitted with something a bit more suited & being an old fiberglass there is no rot currently but it's something always on my mind.

I had planned to just sell the hull and trailer & save for a newer stacer like a baymaster 489 or similar however speaking with my mechanic he suggested I put a new 60 4stroke mercury on my current hull & use it till I'm ready for a newer hull then just take the newer motor from my old hull to use elsewhere.

He mentioned stacer / quinn hulls are good but about 15 years before major corrosion issues slowly start to appear.

I think I would be up for roughly 10K supply and fitted new 60 merc 4stroke compared to 25 - 35k for an alloy boat that suits my needs.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately only you know the answer to your question. I'd save my pennies and buy a brand new Bmt.

If you can afford 35k like you say your at the brand new price range pretty much if not a few k short.

Second hand cars, boats,etc is a mugs game in this day and age I think personally when it's so easy to buy brand new,service loans etc.

But saying that I understand the need to buy second hand.Just not my cup of tea for expensive items like boats!!

14 hours ago, slowjigger said:

It may be hard to sell your boat without a motor. On the other hand 10K  plus on a motor might be over capitalising an old boat. A second hand motor, maybe a 2 stoke, might make more sense.

Wouldn't even consider a boat for capital reasons but I get your point. 

My days of second hand 2 strokes are all but over now. Thinking more into it I'll probably go the new 4 stroke as I like my current hull. If need be I can take the new motor to another hull further down the line if required. 

16 minutes ago, Belligero said:

My days of second hand 2 strokes are all but over now. Thinking more into it I'll probably go the new 4 stroke as I like my current hull. If need be I can take the new motor to another hull further down the line if required. 

I was on my 3rd motor on the boat I just sold. I loved the hull, handling etc and it was a no brainer to repower. The last motor was a new Merc 4st with 117hrs on it at time of sale. I did not lose any money on selling an older hull with a new motor - it was sold as a working rig. 
if you want peace of mind about the longevity of the hull you have, you can get a marine engineer inspection and they can asses if there are any problem areas in your hull, eg they have equipment to measure the moisture content in the transom etc. The buyer of my boat used a company called BoatBuy  for the inspection - they charge $500-600 for a full inspection that includes hull, trailer, motor pressure test, battery load test, an on water test run etc etc. Perhaps chat to them and see what they would charge just for the hull. 
Knowing exactly where you stand with the hull will probably help the decision. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belligero said:

I repowered my old fiberglass boat. I considered getting a new 4 stroke but was looking at 15 K fitted when the hull might be worth around 3 K. A slightly used 2 stroke came up and I snapped it up. Considerably lighter than the 4 stroke. There is some doubt about how well the boat would have performed with a 4 stroke of the same HP due to the weight difference and different power delivery. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 3:35 PM, dunc333 said:

good to hear your back on the water mate ,im sure you will luv the new yami ,can you give us a report after your test run to see how you found it cheers dunc333

Hi mate,
I've started the run in process now which is roughly 10 hours. First hour you need to keep it under 2000RPM and the second hour just enough to get on the plane.

The remaining 8 hours following you can travel any speed but not to run it at WOT for greater than 5 minutes.

It seems to punch similar power to my 75. Has plenty of get up and go. Smooth, no shuddering like the old 2. No smoke barely any noise. 

WOT with myself and my mate was 31 knots. 

It was pricey but worth it. 

sounds like the goods and getting 31knots sounds like she is rigged right .they are quiet arent they.wait till you turn the key and to find the motor already running .i reckon  most people do it at least once when going from a 2 stroke to a 4 and i reckon with the price of fuel now  2 strokes will be going to the outboard grave yard even quicker .thanks for the update cheers dunc333

It's funny how people are worried about a 4 Stoke not being as powerful as their old 2 stroke...until they change over, then all their fears just disappear in a cloud of 2 stroke noise and smoke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, noelm said:

It's funny how people are worried about a 4 Stoke not being as powerful as their old 2 stroke...until they change over, then all their fears just disappear in a cloud of 2 stroke noise and smoke.

The reason for my concern was I was dropping from a 75 2-stroke to an f70. But I wouldn't care if it was much slower I just really need the reliability as I mainly fish nights and never ventured offshore due to worry about the old girl. 

3 hours ago, dunc333 said:

sounds like the goods and getting 31knots sounds like she is rigged right .they are quiet arent they.wait till you turn the key and to find the motor already running .i reckon  most people do it at least once when going from a 2 stroke to a 4 and i reckon with the price of fuel now  2 strokes will be going to the outboard grave yard even quicker .thanks for the update cheers dunc333

haha yeah some bloke at the ramp was telling me he keeps trying to turn it on once its already on. The telltail is pretty loud on it so I can hear that! Glad I made the purchase even if it cost an arm and leg.

Cheers 

• Like 1

The Yamaha 70 is a great lightweight engine, same HP (well 75 actually) engine in a Mercury weighs a ton! I have been a part of changing 3 old Evinrude/Johnson 70s to that same Yamaha motor and the Yamaha out performs the old 3 cylinder 2 strokes in every way, especially fuel economy, all have near exact same top speed and lost nothing in towing water "toys"

1 hour ago, noelm said:

The Yamaha 70 is a great lightweight engine, same HP (well 75 actually) engine in a Mercury weighs a ton! I have been a part of changing 3 old Evinrude/Johnson 70s to that same Yamaha motor and the Yamaha out performs the old 3 cylinder 2 strokes in every way, especially fuel economy, all have near exact same top speed and lost nothing in towing water "toys"

The old motor was a 1994 Mariner.  Came from the original owner. I had it for about 5 years. It was a great motor plenty of grunt. My mechanic said he hasn't seen one in such good condition in 15 years.

It started having issues and found the previous owner must have been using e10. Fuel line broke down and made it's way through the carbs. 

Plus they also used silicone to seal the airbox and that made it's way into the reeds / #3 piston so it was making noise. With the cost of repair it wasn't worth it. 

• Like 1