Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning up from Lilli Pilli, still a good fishing colour in the water.

The tailor were caught earlier in the morning on pillies and yakka strips, and one chewed off the hooks.

Only the one legal reddie amongst a swarm of 28/29 cm ones, and a couple of tiddlers. As I pulled up a small reddie, 2 kingies followed up, around the 60cm mark, then swam off. A short time later I was pulling up another small reddie when there was a big hit on it, felt like a kingie but did not hook up and the reddie was gone. Also pulled out 2 small jewies around 50cm or so.

I was thinking of packing up when a large school of mullet appeared near the boat, most were feeding on the surface and the usual ones were jumping as mullet do at times. Some jumped very close to the boat, sea mullet around the 50cm mark, then, the entire school took to the air, jumping left, right and everywhere else. Something big was under the school and the mullet took off to the shore. Could not see what the critter was but it was just under the surface - I'm guessing a shark, and there are bull sharks in the Hacking so that is a possibility.

Headed home after that.

fish.jpeg.351_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Restyle said:

Nice quiet day on the water with school holidays and the long weekend over now

good few fish as always 

Thank you. Apart from the mullet, a couple of pillies jumping and a few small fish, most likely small frigates.

1 hour ago, BDbrooker said:

Hey Yowie, doesn't seem to be  many legal jews around this year? Is that something you've experienced over the years? 

Yes, some times it is hard to pull out a legal one, and other times none about at all.

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

Always interesting when you see a school of fish leaving the water. Gets the blood pumping! Maybe it was a Noah that pinched your fish?

It was most likely a kingie that grabbed the little reddie, as I still had some bait left on the hooks.

As for the jumping mullet, I could see where the critter was swimming through the school as the mullet jumped out of it's way, then they stopped jumping so one or more ended up as dinner.

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Mate, at least you’ve found a break in the weather to get out there.

Nice feed as always! Well done

It was the time to go fishing, only a few of spots of rain on the way home.

21 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice post Dave

It's about time for the mullet to go on hols up the coast isn't it?

Thanks Rob.

Yes it is mullet time when they will be heading north. If you were in your yak and spotted a large school of mullet fleeing an obviously large predator, heading in your direction, you might need a change of underware, because the critter under the school was moving rather quickly. 🤣

• Sad 1