Birchgrove point 1/5/22

Edward1995

Went out to make the most of a sunny day, and birchgove point is pretty near by for me. 

A good amount of baitfish around the point  

Landed stacks of the usual 15cm-ish snapper and bream

Caught 1 bigger snapper, probably 23-27cm on half a frozen pilly 

There was a family fishing there and one of their young kids fell in! Fortunately people jumped in after him and we got some rope to help them get out. Please, if you’re fishing with young kids, consider getting them life jackets 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice one @Edward1995! It's great to have a local fishing hole isn't it? Great way to spend a sunny afternoon.

We have a lifejacket for our youngest. My six year old is water safe, but my three year old is a liability (exacerbated by a complete lack of fear).

Good on you. 

this little guy might have been three or four and was standing right on the edge looking at dads lines. Only took him one missed step. 

interestingly a common misconception is that the lifejacket is just there to help you float or to help incompetent swimmers. The key reason for wearing them is they help you float the right way up.  It’s all to easy to slip and bump your head and your out cold. if you’re in a jacket, odds are you’ll wake up floating with your head up and breathing air not water 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice one @Edward1995! It's great to have a local fishing hole isn't it? Great way to spend a sunny afternoon.

We have a lifejacket for our youngest. My six year old is water safe, but my three year old is a liability (exacerbated by a complete lack of fear).

On a separate note. I’ve lived near there for a year and not caught anything substantial there, any pointers? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice report mate, it is essential for kids who aren’t confident swimmers to wear life jackets around water especially in fast flowing water and dangerous conditions. 

Bang on Isaac. So important in dangerous water. Also good when it looks safe as one little slip and you could be gone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edward1995 said:

On a separate note. I’ve lived near there for a year and not caught anything substantial there, any pointers? 

It all depends on what you are fishing for, but these are the basics that apply to almost every situation:

- Fresh or live bait - whatever you use make sure it's as fresh as possible, or even alive.

- Light sinkers - If there isn't a lot of wind and the water isn't deep, sometimes you can get away with no sinker, otherwise, start with a pea-sized sinker and work your way up.

- Lightest tackle possible - Lighter line and leaders give more casts and more bites, as a rule. However, this is a compromise between your target species and where you are fishing. I tend to fish 6lb braid and 6-10lb leader for my lure fishing for your average bream and flathead (note: depending on what you are doing, braid isn't always necessary). I will up my leader to 12-20lb depending on the structure in the area, and/or experience with lost fish, or go as light as 3lb if the fish are finicky (I'd suggest this is too light for most applications).

I don't really fish the Balmain area, but a cursory search will find you a few relatively recent reports (apart from your own) for the area: Showing results for 'balmain' in content posted in Fishing Reports and updated in the last six months. - Fishraider

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

good report  mate ,  sometimes good bait  makes all the difference , what some people do not realise is that  Sydney harbour has not been  trawled for years  as a result  there's a lot of food that has  the fish spoiled for choice , eg prawns  marine worms  and a lot of other things ,  you see this every time you catch a decent size fish  and once you clean it you find  fat right through its organs ,  by using  things that  fish love to eat  like freshly caught squid  you find that you will always catch more and better fish ,  try doing this with  frozen bait and you will find  that you  will not do as well ,  while you can not avoid feeding the small ones  you will find that now and then you will  hook on to the big ones as well , just  something to consider 

Edited by leonardgid
  • Like 2