Winter Squid Session - Port Hacking

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

headed out this morning for a fish - as soon as I stepped outside noticed a bit of a breeze was about. I had hoped it would pass but seemed to pick up more as I headed to the ramp. It was miserable going on the ski with spray splashing me all the way out. I wear a waterproof sailors smock, waterproof pants and waterproof knee high socks, so I don’t get wet underneath but it was tough going.

I tried a new spot today which seemed promising, but the wind sped up my drifts which in turn cut down the bites - and I didn’t want to deploy my drogue as it’s a pain to deploy and retrieve on the short drifts over reef.

caught 3 sergeant bakers, 2 Māori wrasse, flathead and undersized snappers. The largest sergeant baker (60cm) was caught on a 180g glowbite lightning rod jig - Largest baker I’ve ever caught.

Threw on some small skirts on the way back in for nothing.

Hit up one of my squid spots - after about 10mins got my first one. Followed by another 4 over the next 40mins or so. Good sized winter calamari. Largest two with hoods measuring 26cm

They were caught around midday on a 2.5 pink keimura jig

E8BC2CCF-8D18-4934-8682-0D38E44C1267.jpeg.29d44528a7df84891a9fe11ae7f020e7.jpeg

31D9C952-FCAC-45D5-8151-AE0801AB19D5.jpeg.b3b6bea3161d633d0684e64d44db60e9.jpeg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

A nice feed of good sized squid.

The wind has been up a bit lately, not dropping off during the morning like it sometimes does.

I find as soon as the water clears, the squid seem to show up.

4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great feed Larkin! Im keen to have a crack at PH squid, any tips?

Hi Rob, Work the whole area until you find the patch -  they will be all bunched up together. When searching work both deep and shallow water within the area. I see so many people try one or two spots in an area and leave with nothing. Pink keimura (uv) jigs work best in the hacking - use during daytime hours only in 2.5 or 3

at the moment the big ones are coming in to lay - found eggs in the larger ones.

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great squid mate, nice trip out.

Well done.

Thanks, a few big ones about at the moment. When I caught the first one, thought it was a snag - larger than what I normally get at this particular spot.

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul.

Well done.

Can't beat good squid.

Cheers.

Thanks Rebel, haven’t caught squid for a while, so a nice change.

• Like 1

G'day Larkin, nice haul there. I live in Grays Point and just got my boat running again. Keen to try for some squid. People have said Salmon Haul reserve is a good option for squid, any other spots without going outside the heads? My boat is small and pretty sketchy so I'd prefer to stay inside. 

Cheers

12 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Lovely squid!

Thanks bessell, a few larger ones about at the moment.

12 hours ago, cavepan said:

G'day Larkin, nice haul there. I live in Grays Point and just got my boat running again. Keen to try for some squid. People have said Salmon Haul reserve is a good option for squid, any other spots without going outside the heads? My boat is small and pretty sketchy so I'd prefer to stay inside. 

Cheers

Pm sent - check ur messages.

• Like 2

Nice haul!

Thanks for sharing your tips on what squid jigs works best in the hacking during the day time, might have to get some of those!

Could you share some spots in the hacking with me as well. I've had some success at Salmon Haul and Yowie Bay Boat Ramp but struggle to get more than one or two when a trip when I target them. I normally fish from a yak.

In winter are you targeting them in the deeper water?

Edited by Squidless
Typo

On 6/28/2022 at 9:53 PM, Squidless said:

Nice haul!

Thanks for sharing your tips on what squid jigs works best in the hacking during the day time, might have to get some of those!

Could you share some spots in the hacking with me as well. I've had some success at Salmon Haul and Yowie Bay Boat Ramp but struggle to get more than one or two when a trip when I target them. I normally fish from a yak.

In winter are you targeting them in the deeper water?

Hi Squidless

these ones were caught inside the hacking in shallow water. I squid both deep water and shallow and get them year round. Big ones about at the moment. I’ll pm you

On 6/29/2022 at 8:14 AM, Scooter0069 said:

Nice feed of calamari Larkin need to get out and try to get some for myself

Thanks scooter - good for a change from fish.

I’ll usually have a quick flick before or after a fish to see if any about - if I get one there will always be more in that spot and I’ll keep working it.

• Thanks 1